high altitude wood stove insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

taoseno

Mar 27, 2006
I am looking to place a wood stove insert into my existing fireplace. The local installer/retailer is trying to sell me a Avalon insert with a very shallow firebox. I have found other wood stove inserts by other manufacturers on-line with a larger firebox, but the installer is telling me that the Avalon stoves work best at our altitude (7200 ft.).
Are there stoves that are known to function better at the higher altitudes?

I think we need MSG to chime in on this one...

> but the installer is telling me that the Avalon stoves work best at our altitude (7200 ft.)

Sounds like hooey to me. I'm at 7000 ft. and very happy with my non-Avalon stoves...

For wood stoves there is no such thing as a high although stove. If the insert well fit into your fireplace than it well work for you. Just make sure that the insert well heat the amount of area that you would like to have heated. that is all nothing very special.

Jeremiah

The chimeny needs to be higher, i would say at least 16 ft minimum, preferbaly 18'-20'. The only way i would agree with that is i think cat stoves work better in altitiude, at least for start up. My chimney didnt work properly untill i got it 24 feet in the air. Im at 9000' though. So in other words, there isnt realy a difference between stoves, its much more in the chimney. Now, if this avalon is a cat or a non cat with a bypass damper that could be the reason he said that. Im going to research it.

There web site says one of the models has a draft bypass door. That would make it easier to start, but it would work like any other secondary combustion stove after that.

Thanks for all the great feedback!
Extremely helpful. Especially the information regarding the length of the chimney.

Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.