Hinge pin trouble with new Hearthstone Clydesdale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BurntEmber

Jul 29, 2015
Maryland
Recently we had a Hearthstone Clydesdale wood burning insert installed in our fireplace. For the most part we like the unit, but certainly have had some challenges. First, unfortunately the guys that "installed" the Clydesdale had never installed one before and did a pretty terrible and rushed job - clearly not the fault of Hearthstone. However, the original ash lip cover that came with the insert was warped (bad casting) and it did not fit properly, making it impossible to use the insert. After wasting a couple of weeks going back and forth with Ace Hardware, the dealer we bought the insert from and the people Hearthstone insisted we interact with, Hearthstone eventually made good and sent us a new ash lip cover that enabled us to finally use the insert. This evening my wife got the fire stoked and when she went to close the door, the lower hinge pin fell out making the door bind and impossible to close, forcing her to stand in place holding the door. After 20 mins working at the mouth of a burning stove while holding a very hot door, the two of us were able to re-align the door and get the hinge pin re-inserted. The hinge design on this insert seems to be an afterthought, which is a bit surprising given the price tag. I wonder if any other Clydesdale owners have had this problem with hinge pins, and if so, what have you done to fix it? I am considering finding longer replacement hinge pins that may be less liable to work themselves out.

Have same problem with my dovre,just got to remember to check it every few burns.

Thanks Brad. We will definitely be vigilant . . . not something that was necessary with our old Vermont Casting stove of the same name!

Seems to work itself up when you open the door,only one bolt seems to do it .

The Clydesdale hinge pins are far too short to be secure, only extending 1/3 of the way into the lower hinge sleeve. Although the top one is trapped and can't fall out, the lower one certainly can and did. Replaced with 2 inch 10/32 bolt. Should solve the problem.

Not sure if hi-temp grease or graphite might help or make it worse. Mine are greased to reduce wear though.

Smoked, thanks for the tip. For not everything is swinging freely, but I suppose once it has heated and cooled a few times, some friction may occur. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.