Hint of smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ootski

Jan 9, 2008
Fredonia NY
I just had a Whitfield Advantage Plus installed and so far I love it. HOWEVER my child bride of almost 30 yrs can detect a trace of wood smoke from the back of unit where it ties into the thimble Is there any heat caulking I can applie to the joints? I must admit I also smell it and can even see a whisp on occasion but I turn a bling eye to it tks jh

congrats... i guess on all counts 'cept for the whisp
call the install company?
high temp silicone is usually the goo of choice. smelly and sticky though so be cautious.
you should be able to even get something at an auto store if you just need a little. jsut make sure its high temp..500+

No, purchased from a dealer, who took it in partial trade from a friend, who " Upgraded to a Quadra-fire something or other" They put new brick, burn pit and control board and some minor beautifications, and a ton of pellets for $900.00 Just what I was looking for to get into this w/o dropping a fortune Kid in pharmacy school and lots of other home improvments this year Deal or no deal??? I am beginnning to think the wind has a lot to do with this problem. Have a horizontal exhaust with a 18 inch pipe out from the house and the usual vent cap. tks

sounds like it just needs sealed, pellet exhaust shouldnt exceed 500 degrees plus ambient , so 500 + rtv should work fine, slip the connector off and clean the coupler thoroughly (silicone dont stick to dirty surfaces ) and apply , then reconnect, might even install a hose clamp to help. let it set up for a little bit before refiring , see if that wont take care of it

Tks Off to Home Depot now, will try and report back this weekend jh

Status
Not open for further replies.