Hmm, can't get backyard any warmer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Riddle Master Morgon said:
Having seen all these stoves on porches.....is there actually a porch wood pellet stove to heat up the deck/patio on the more chilly evenings of late summer ? I know wood burn pots and these gas lanterns....Just curious, having it on wheels would make it a fairly interesting contraption. Can you vent a pellet stove through the window with flex pipe ? Like an AC (I saw the thread lately with the window pelet stove unit - interesting)

Just curious.

Well there is a portable pellet stove on wheels, check this thread.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/72449/

Wow, thanks for the warm welcoming everybody.

Tentative plan is to do the venting this weekend: if I can get the pedestal for the hearth done and the weather stays dry. I'll try to remember to get photos of the progress for the postings.

I'll also include, if any, clippings about myself from the local paper with such title as, "Local DYIer Falls Off Ladder Because He's Was Too Cheap To Pay For A Professional Install and Most Importantly Didn't Heed His Spouse's Concern"

St_Earl said:
congrats.

got your surge suppressor?

tripplite are a very popular choice-
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/78935/

i got the isobar4ultra. i got that one just because it had the higher joule rating. at first i wondered what i'd do with the extra outlets. but i use one or two of them when i clean the stove.
it was about $39 on amazon.

the one in that thread is a great one too. plenty of capacity and a whole lot of folks use them.

Check. Got A Philip brand suppressor that's rated at 1300 joules. Is that sufficient?

GrahamInVa said:
I installed a 25-EP this summer. Love it. Heating my 2400 sq. ft. house VERY nicely! See the link in my sig line for pics.

Already seen that post when I searched "Englander 25 EP". Thought you did a great job.

staplebox said:
Welcome. As a gift I will send you any one of my children. They are masterful at heating the outdoors all winter.

How about we just barter. I have one hyper, overactive 4 year old I'm willing to trade for a quiet and well manner child or a dozen bags of premium pellets. His 2 older sisters, I'll keep..........but I may barter them off when they become teens.

Better be carfeul on that outdoor pellet stove, you may get a vist from Al Gore on your attempt at Global Warming!!!

Bank said:
Better be carfeul on that outdoor pellet stove, you may get a vist from Al Gore on your attempt at Global Warming!!!

Al Gore should be okay with it since pellet stoves are I believe a green heating alternative. Wonder what Al's doing these days?

xraycer said:
Bank said:

Al Gore should be okay with it since pellet stoves are I believe a green heating alternative. Wonder what Al's doing these days?

West coast of Alaska from the looks of the severe weather information.

After much delay today, at around 3pm I took a deep beath and drove the saw blade into the drywall. Removed the square scrap of drywall and trimmed away the insulation. Went outside, up onto the ladder and cut out another square. This time the scrap consisted of presswood and vinyl siding. There's a 6" square hole on the side of my home, I've reached the point of no return. The thimble assembly went in and connected properly (after a tiny bit of trimming to the drywall). After the thimble were secured, I ran a 2' section of went through the thimble and attached it to the stove exhaust. Needed a little bit of upward tension to get the pipe to engage the appliance connector, so a little grinding with the Dremel will resolve this small issue. It was now dark out and time to feed the kids. To be continued tomorrow.

Attachments

• pell3.jpg
    pell3.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 342
  • pell2.jpg
    pell2.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 330
  • pell1.jpg
    pell1.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 330
Finally completed the install yesterday. Code officer will be out in a couple of days to inspect it. Got 3 tons of Geneva pellets coming off the delivery truck in the next half hour or so. Can't wait to fire it up in the house. Its been unseasonably warm here, but its suppose to get cold again at night towards the end of the week.

Here are a couple of pics. Furniture stuff are there temporarily.

Attachments

• vent2.jpg
    vent2.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 342
  • vent1.jpg
    vent1.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 348
Can water get behind the thimble?

index.php

You may want to cut the vinyl out and put J-channel around it like you see below. Makes for a cleaner job and won't leak.

PelletPipeOutdoors.jpg

Otherwise looks great. Enjoy! I love my Englander EP!

GrahamInVa said:

index.php

You may want to cut the vinyl out and put J-channel around it like you see below. Makes for a cleaner job and won't leak.

PelletPipeOutdoors.jpg

Looks great!

I used a neat trick I learned from the place I bought my stove. I'm sure J-channel is the best way but as a quick 'n' dirty way to seal it he suggested cutting part way through the high points of the siding, and letting the thimble rest in the saw kerf to help seal.

In your picture that would be 3 vertical cuts at each high point of the 3 siding slats. It is vinyl, right? I used a dremel with a cut off blade to cut down to where each slat touches the siding behind it. Don't cut all the way through the vinyl - leave it there with the cuts and then drop the thimble into the cuts.

It will seal pretty well. Then I caulked all around. I can post pics tonight if you want.

DonD said:
GrahamInVa said:

index.php

PelletPipeOutdoors.jpg

Looks great!

I used a neat trick I learned from the place I bought my stove. I'm sure J-channel is the best way but as a quick 'n' dirty way to seal it he suggested cutting part way through the high points of the siding, and letting the thimble rest in the saw kerf to help seal.

In your picture that would be 3 vertical cuts at each high point of the 3 siding slats. It is vinyl, right? I used a dremel with a cut off blade to cut down to where each slat touches the siding behind it. Don't cut all the way through the vinyl - leave it there with the cuts and then drop the thimble into the cuts.

It will seal pretty well. Then I caulked all around. I can post pics tonight if you want.

Good call guys. J channel looks great Graham. Don would really like to see some pics of your description to get an accurate visual.

Here you go...

After taking the pictures I used some GE clear silicon caulk around the entire edge of the thimble and some RTV around the vent pipe.

Attachments

• Thimble With Vent Pipe.jpg
    Thimble With Vent Pipe.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 495
  • Thimble Installed.jpg
    Thimble Installed.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 392
  • Thimble Cutout.jpg
    Thimble Cutout.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 345
Hello xraycer

Great pics and a very nice install!! Good Luck!

Attachments

• PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 240
DonD said:
Here you go...

After taking the pictures I used some GE clear silicon caulk around the entire edge of the thimble and some RTV around the vent pipe.

DonD, thank you so much for the pics, that's exactly what I'm going to do (for the OAK too).

Don2222, thanks for the compliment neighbor.

Got home from work this morning and decided to modified my thimble seating like DonD. Looked like there'll be rain here for the next few days, so I was motivated to sacrifice a little bit of sleep. Happy with the result, but I'll have to wait until the weekend to caulk it up.

Here's a shot of my first pellet delivery also.

Attachments

• new vent.jpg
    new vent.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 231
  • oak.jpg
    oak.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 241
  • pellets.jpg
    pellets.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 244
Hope your not considering leaving those outside.

They'll be junk in no time. :lol:

Right, Jay?

xraycer said:
Got home from work this morning and decided to modified my thimble seating like DonD. Looked like there'll be rain here for the next few days, so I was motivated to sacrifice a little bit of sleep. Happy with the result, but I'll have to wait until the weekend to caulk it up.

Looks great! I'd have gone even deeper with the cuts so the thimble was flush but that should work with some caulk.

I store my pellets in a covered porch not too different than you - maybe a couple of feet further under the roof (check the link in my sig for pics). I'd be very careful with wind blown rain and snow. I removed the clear wrap from my pallets but definitely am leaving the manufacturers cover in place. I'm considering a tarp too. So far I either pull up the cover and pull out a few bags (Barefoot) or climb up and pull bags out of a slit I made in the back of the top cover, farthest away from the weather (Okies since the pallets are too close to lift the cover - lesson learned for next year).

How's the heat so far? I know it's been kind of warm the last few days but we should get some pellet weather soon.

DonD said:
xraycer said:

Looks great! I'd have gone even deeper with the cuts so the thimble was flush but that should work with some caulk.

I store my pellets in a covered porch not too different than you - maybe a couple of feet further under the roof (check the link in my sig for pics). I'd be very careful with wind blown rain and snow. I removed the clear wrap from my pallets but definitely am leaving the manufacturers cover in place. I'm considering a tarp too. So far I either pull up the cover and pull out a few bags (Barefoot) or climb up and pull bags out of a slit I made in the back of the top cover, farthest away from the weather (Okies since the pallets are too close to lift the cover - lesson learned for next year).

How's the heat so far? I know it's been kind of warm the last few days but we should get some pellet weather soon.

Agreed. I'm going to deepen the cuts and get it in tighter as well as caulk and seal all the seams on the vent this weekend, weather permitting.
Debating whether or not to build a temp frame around the pellets and surround it with corrugated pvc sheets as a temp fix for this year. Planning to put up a decent size shed next year.

As far as heat goes, I haven't turned in on yet since the install. Waiting for the code inspector to come out this week. Don't want him to give me grief about using the stove before inspection approval is granted.

Checked out your build thread and your build looks fantastic.

smoke show said:

Right, Jay?

I have mine dropped off in my driveway and that's where they stay. No problems with weather. I carefully open the manufacturer's wrap and close it up after I get the bags I need. I also cover them with a waterproof blue tarp and place a pallet on top to keep it from blowing away. I had about 15 bags left over from last winter and they were out in the driveway all summer and they were still good when I opened it back up.

FredDels said:
smoke show said:

Right, Jay?

I have mine dropped off in my driveway and that's where they stay. No problems with weather. I carefully open the manufacturer's wrap and close it up after I get the bags I need. I also cover them with a waterproof blue tarp and place a pallet on top to keep it from blowing away. I had about 15 bags left over from last winter and they were out in the driveway all summer and they were still good when I opened it back up.

I was joking.

smoke show said:
FredDels said:
smoke show said:

Right, Jay?

I was joking.

OK. I just see so many posts on here about having to keep them in a warm, dry, comfy place. :)

Code inspector was just here about 30 minutes ago, and gave us full approval. Soon as he left, we lit her up for the first time indoors. Don't smell any smoke anything and fire is going strong. Been a bit concern about the fan/auger noise factor, but it doesn't seem too annoying, so I think we'll just adapt to it and not even notice it once the stove runs 24/7 during the really cold months. Ahh, this room is getting really nice and toasty.

Attachments

• firstfire.jpg
    firstfire.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 205
Status
Not open for further replies.