Hmm, can't get backyard any warmer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xraycer

Nov 2, 2011
Pelham NH
Looks like I need a bigger stove to heat the backyard.

Hello all, I'm a pellet stove newbie whose been lurking here for awhile and obtaining a lot of great info from you guys on all things pellet stoves.

Finally, pulled the trigger this weekend and decided on the Englander 25 EP. Technically Summers Heat since I actually bought it from Lowe's. This is my first heating stove, so this site has been invaluable in getting me up to speed in the world of pellet stoves. Planning to do the vent myself, so I'm making the wife a bit nervous. I've reassured her that the through the wall install is fairly simple, and further reassured her by let her know we have 2 fire extinguishers on standby and the fire dept on speed dial.........she's not reassured.

I live in a 2500sq/ft 7yr old colonial, and I ended on the pellet stove path when I did a pre-buy for my propane a few months back. $2.46/gal from $1.98/gal last season. "Are you freaking kidding me!" was my only thought. The propane bill topic came up while we were at a get together with the neighbors. He brought up pellet stoves and that's when my mission began and led to this point..........me trying to heat the back yard.

Picked up 4 bags each of 3 different brand pellets, and fired her up in the backyard Sunday afternoon. Had it on full blast for about 7 hours. Went through nearly half a bag of Logik(PWI) pellets. Without any prior experience, it seems the heat was really good given the fact that it was outside in the fifties with a constant strong wind.

Got the permit for the vent installation last Friday, so next weekend will be puching holes in the house. Hopefully, the wife will take the kids out for most of the day and let me work in peace.

Please share any tips/advices you may have.

56f24e24.jpg

Attachments

• Englander Evolution.jpg
    Englander Evolution.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,090
Congrats and welcome to the forum. There are a great bunch of guys (and a few gals) here willing to help you out at any time.

congrats.

got your surge suppressor?

tripplite are a very popular choice-
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/78935/

i got the isobar4ultra. i got that one just because it had the higher joule rating. at first i wondered what i'd do with the extra outlets. but i use one or two of them when i clean the stove.
it was about $39 on amazon.

the one in that thread is a great one too. plenty of capacity and a whole lot of folks use them.

xraycer said:
Looks like I need a bigger stove to heat the backyard.

Hahaha now that's a pretty good intro!
Welcome to the forum. :lol:

Welcome aboard.

Heating the back yard is a great way to get all the nasty "Burning in" smells done with before you do the install.

Good luck and show us some pix of the install when your done.

Snowy

Welcome to the forum.

For backyard heating I suggest you talk to krooser, ISTR a big flame belching unit he was hoping to get certified as a stove cleaning leaf blower.

i hear there is a hydrogen fired unit that works really great for this application.

earth-receive-heat-sun-800x800.jpg

@ abrucerd-

it does have a nice automatic on and off feature though. :)

Yes, heating or cooling your hemisphere is a tough problem. As Chief Engineer of a Pacific Fleet Aircraft Carrier some 17 years ago, it was a real challenge, when we deployed from the mild weather of San Diego into the hot/humid Western Pacific, to teach 5,000 sailors that we had plenty of A/C capacity to keep us all comfortable inside the skin of the ship...but not nearly enough to cool the Northern Hemisphere. Shut the damn door after you go through! Rick

Welcome to the forums, xraycer!

St_Earl said:
@ abrucerd-

But it short cycles in the winter and seems to have a lazy flame.

^^^^ yep. lol

fossil said:
Yes, heating or cooling your hemisphere is a tough problem. As Chief Engineer of a Pacific Fleet Aircraft Carrier some 17 years ago, it was a real challenge, when we deployed from the mild weather of San Diego into the hot/humid Western Pacific, to teach 5,000 sailors that we had plenty of A/C capacity to keep us all comfortable inside the skin of the ship...but not nearly enough to cool the Northern Hemisphere. Shut the damn door after you go through! Rick

Welcome to the forums, xraycer!
ah. bend is so beautiful. i grew up in oregon since '69. lived in portland. but spent some good times in bend over the years.
makes me a little nostalgic seeing your location.

maine is pretty freaking nice though too. enough conifers and one passable mountain right out back from here.

Dueling Pellet Stoves...

Attachments

• pellet stove in drive.jpg
    pellet stove in drive.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 736
SmokeyTheBear said:
St_Earl said:
@ abrucerd-

Given the 4.6 billion year lifespan, I'm willing to overlook minor sporadic defects.

abrucerd said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
St_Earl said:
@ abrucerd-

Given the 4.6 billion year lifespan, I'm willing to overlook minor sporadic defects.

That's the reason my wife married me...

krooser said:
abrucerd said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
St_Earl said:
@ abrucerd-

No it isn't.

In the face off the wood stove did slightly better in heating the hood.

Attachments

• pdvc outside.jpg
    pdvc outside.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 679
  • r.jpg
    r.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 704
  • running hot.jpg
    running hot.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 695
Welcome to the Forum.. Those 25-EP's are beautiful stoves. Englander did a good job with them.

As for the rest of the pics... Very nice BB. That 30 is Cookin!!

Krooser.. The new stove has a hopper extension? Nice..

SmokeyTheBear said:
krooser said:
abrucerd said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
St_Earl said:
@ abrucerd-

No it isn't.

Oh....

DexterDay said:
Welcome to the Forum.. Those 25-EP's are beautiful stoves. Englander did a good job with them.

As for the rest of the pics... Very nice BB. That 30 is Cookin!!

Krooser.. The new stove has a hopper extension? Nice..

Nope..that's the Pepin that's still in the house....

My ex-girlfriend had a hopper extension, too.

Welcome. As a gift I will send you any one of my children. They are masterful at heating the outdoors all winter.

th_lovethisthread.jpg

Having seen all these stoves on porches.....is there actually a porch wood pellet stove to heat up the deck/patio on the more chilly evenings of late summer ? I know wood burn pots and these gas lanterns....Just curious, having it on wheels would make it a fairly interesting contraption. Can you vent a pellet stove through the window with flex pipe ? Like an AC (I saw the thread lately with the window pelet stove unit - interesting)

Just curious.

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the stove. Keep us up-to-date on the install, and keep the pics coming!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.