Holes in Front Bottom VC Intrepid II Model 1308

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FiatIgnis

Sep 26, 2016
Virginia
I'm looking at a used Intrepid II I and can't figure out why there are two holes on the bottom at the front that go into the firebox. Is it just for additional air? Or heat shield mounting? They aren't threaded (or if they were the threads have rusted off). The newer intrepid ii referencing using c-clips for the bottom heat shield.

Like many others I picked the stove up cheap and am finding exactly why it was cheap.
My first post, thank you to all who have contributed in the past, it is a tremendous help.

Attachments

• Intrepid1308_BottomHoles.jpeg
    Intrepid1308_BottomHoles.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 297
Do you have more pictures to better orient to holes to the stove.

When I looked at the manual, part # 49 is the bottom plate of the stove and it only indicates 4 holes one in each corner to bolt the stove together with.
http://downloads.hearthnhome.com/installManuals/20000966_Intrepid_38.pdf

Based on that I am wondering if someone drilled those in as a homeowner modification to let additional air into the stove. On My vigilant there were no extra holes into the firebox, as they were designed to be air tight, and only allowing air in through the thermostatic damper. If those extra holes are not capped off and do go straight into the firebox seems like you are going to have a difficult time in regulating the air into the firebox.

I would assume that if you don't have a piece that bolts in there that you may be able to put a nut and bolt through there and seal it off with furnace cement. Or if the diameter is small enough just furnace cement. I am guessing on that one.

All catalytic stoves have some means by which air is allowed in even when the draft control is fully closed. Don't really know why exactly, but that's what those holes do, so called "bleeder holes". Pretend they're not there, just go on about your burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.