Holy crap! It actually looks like a truck!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Forget public L3 chargers (that cost $100k), we just need houses to have $500, 3-6 kW EVSEs in them. Apartments are harder, but only for billing, for which multiple solutions exist.

I put a 7 kW EVSE in my garage in 2014 and I've had no trouble with it since. :cool:

Last edited:
Put a 6 kW EVSE in the garage in 2013. No issues.

Speaking of first car memories and my first car was a 56 Impala Chevy and I drove it for three blocks and it overheated--paid 100 dollars for it..lol,,It was blue and white with those smaller fins as I remember it..Gave it to my mechanic and he used it for transporting parts for years...Now I have a 1999 Toyato Tacoma and love it....Those new electric trucks are beautiful but for now only a rich person could afford them and the recharging places need to be considered and storage as well---but they are beautiful and I love that trucks color--kind of a light tan beige--Yes..clancey

Reactions: woodgeek
An interesting view on the F-150's frunk or former engine compartment. The author doesn't like the aerodynamics of it. As a contractor I thought it was a great lockable place to store tools and equipment.

I imagine that pickup truck design followed a form follows function design. What worked best sold. The frunk is a spot that could disappear, but who doesnt like lockable storage? I look at my techs and they have their beds and caps piled high with equipment and supplies. I'd like to say they don't need it all, but they do, and it'd cost me more if they had to stop at the office to pick up supplies more often.

I have to wonder, if there was an advantage to a smaller nose, wouldn't somebody have mounted an engine sideways as in most front wheel drive cars? Given the Honda Ridgeline unibody design that wasn't ment to tow or haul, and all the little crossover types that are pretty much high riding cars, why not do this?

An interesting view on the F-150's frunk or former engine compartment. The author doesn't like the aerodynamics of it. As a contractor I thought it was a great lockable place to store tools and equipment.

I imagine that pickup truck design followed a form follows function design. What worked best sold. The frunk is a spot that could disappear, but who doesnt like lockable storage? I look at my techs and they have their beds and caps piled high with equipment and supplies. I'd like to say they don't need it all, but they do, and it'd cost me more if they had to stop at the office to pick up supplies more often.

I have to wonder, if there was an advantage to a smaller nose, wouldn't somebody have mounted an engine sideways as in most front wheel drive cars? Given the Honda Ridgeline unibody design that wasn't ment to tow or haul, and all the little crossover types that are pretty much high riding cars, why not do this?

Transverse engine layout is not really advantageous to hauling and towing and make servicing the engine more difficult if it is larger. You typically don't see anything other than inline four cylinders used in transverse layouts (there are some oddball standouts, but not relevant for this). If anything made sense it would be a cabover design like the oft maligned Canoo electric truck. The overall vehicle length will be less, more aero, still room for enclosed cargo if using an electric drivetrain, and visibility is much improved. The only reason MFG's go with the long nose design is ease of production and profit.

My guess is clean sheet electric trucks are in the future like the Tesla but in order to get them accepted and keep the cost down, its far less expensive and less risky to use a conventional chassis.

What would interest me is a standard battery pack that could be swapped into the frunk.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I’m actually waiting to trade in my 3500 because of the advancements on the horizon like the ribbon battery or maybe crazy nuclear waste battery. I honestly feel a gas or diesel vehicle will seem silly in the not so distant future.

Reactions: SpaceBus
The F150 is the goose that laid the golden egg. They make more money off of it than many national budgets. I think Ford wisely is sticking with a known and loved form factor to win the conversion to EV. By taking a familiar form and making it better, they will gain faster acceptance.

Reactions: andym and SpaceBus
The electric F150 received over 70,000 reservation orders in just the first week.