Holy inferno from H3LL!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedishchef

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 17, 2010
Inuvik, Northwest Territories
Gday

Well, we have guests arriving shortly at our house for a visit. I say to my wife "I will make a fire". It's a big storm outside and it's supposed to get cold. What else is better than a nice fire on a windy/stormy winter evening with friends?

I light my fire and open the bypass damper. I put 2 mins on my timer on my watch and go upstairs for a second. Suddenly, I hear WOOOMMPPHHH WOOOMPHHH from what sounds to be my chimney on the outside of my kitchen wall. I look at my watch: I had set my timer for 5 mins and not 2. Well, I run downstairs and close everything (door and bypass damper). No pipes glowing red...BUT the fire was a blazing. Flue temps indicated 600 degrees (I am sure it was hotter but the thermometer didn't have time to reach the peak temp)

Now, the fire is going so hot that I have my primary closed at 90% and it's still raging! Stove top temp is 850!!!!! It has stabilized thank goodness but needless to say I was ready to see the steel split in half!!!! THe stove is just screaming heat right now.

Anyway, all that to say for the 10000th time: don't ever leave a stove with the door open. It tends to take years off of your life expectancy and tightens the butt cheaks.

Andrew

Well you are posting so everything must be OK. Thank God for that. We all have to learn hard lessons sometimes, or at least I know I do. Glad everything is OK. You won't likely forget that one :ahhh:

Thanks to messages like this I have a rule that I NEVER leave the room if the stove door is cracked open. So far I have obeyed my rule, but I occasionally have to crack down on myself when I think I'll walk away 'just for a minute.' This message should help keep me in line a little longer.

Wood Duck said:
Thanks to messages like this I have a rule that I NEVER leave the room if the stove door is cracked open. So far I have obeyed my rule, but I occasionally have to crack down on myself when I think I'll walk away 'just for a minute.' This message should help keep me in line a little longer.

+1 . . . it's so easy to forget that while fire can be your friend and so warm and inviting . . . if proper caution and care is not exercised it can turn on you pretty quickly and be quite ruinous . . . it's always so tempting to just leave the room for a "second or two" with the door open . . . but it's just not a good idea.

Swedishchef said:
Anyway, all that to say for the 10000th time: don't ever leave a stove with the door open. It tends to take years off of your life expectancy and tightens the butt cheaks.

:lol:

Sometimes the butt cheeks tighten first, the fire rages later. A bit TMI, perhaps, but I just got to tell the tale...

This past Saturday we were on the road back to the house 400 miles away after a week away at a winter event. The junk food was playing with my innards and I couldn't wait to get out of the car and "relax" in the blue room. The minute I walked into the basement, I was struck by the cold. Usually, when I open that door I'm greeted with an overwhelming sensation of warmth because Beulah is doing her job. On this occasion, she had been out for a week of really frigid weather, and the basement felt more like the meat locker in a supermarket.

I held off nature's call for about three minutes, during which time I pulled some cold charcoal together in front of the air intake, dropped three of my small firestarters on top of them, piled on a good size armful of the dry ash, struck the match and lit it all off. Closed the doors, opened the air all the way, and off I went. As I closed the door I called out, "Honey? I need you to go down and check the stove in five minutes, OK?" "I got it." "Time it, OK? I have a full box of dry wood in there and I left it wide open." "OK, OK.... I got it."

So I settled down with the new Bailey's catalog and zoned out. After a while I realized I didn't hear her stirring, so I called out to her. No verbal response, but I hear the bed creak as she jumped off it, and then heard her feet hit the basement stairs. "Sweetie? Dan? Where's the flue thermometer?" ????? It was there just a short while ago. "It's on the pipe where it always is." "No it's not."

Then it hit me. In the last two seasons with this stove I've had the thermometer slide down the pipe several times as the high flue temps caused it to lose some of its magnetism. This was the first time that it actually fell off. At least 900ºF surface temp. 1800ºF internal gas temp.

If there was any creosote in there, it's gone bye-bye now. :shut:

I actually aim for topping off around 800 with full secondaries when it is COLD out. Those temps on a full load will give me 6 hours of pure heat...and then another 4-6 as it fades...

I am watching my fire grow as we speak. No more going upstairs for a minute, losing my focus and forgetting abouy my fire. After all, I am a man, our attention spand seems to be quite short most of the time :)

I am just glad I didn't forget it all together..that could have been bad.

Andrew

[quote author="Swedishchef" date="1299035920" After all, I am a man, our attention span seems to be quite short most of the time :)
Andrew[/quote]

What!!! That's it!! I won't take any of that @#!% from the likes of you!! I outa go right over there and........Oh wow, a shiny new nickel....pretty.....

Someone once said if you play fire you will get burnt..or was it pee to bed..lol.

I'm still trying to comprehend that you had that much going on in just 5 minutes.
Even with plenty of hot coals during reload, I am setting my timer for 20 minutes and it is just hitting 500 degrees at that time.
What are you soaking those plaits in gas or what?

He set the fire in his boots. As far as I can tell from his sig he doesn't have a wood stove.

Yes, in about 5 minutes I had that going on. I placed some softwood (which has been dry for 3 years) on the bottom, all small splits, then some more softwood and then hardwood on top. Not packed tight, lots of airflow between the splits, the door left open 1 inch and my bypass damper open with a wind blowing through my chimney cap = incinerator ;)

BB: I did not set fire in my boots, I set it in my toilet bowl. Ceramic has a very high melting point!!!
I have an Osburn 2300. Sig updated!

Andrew

Who is Beulah?

Battenkiller said:
Swedishchef said:

:lol:

Sometimes the butt cheeks tighten first, the fire rages later. A bit TMI, perhaps, but I just got to tell the tale...

This past Saturday we were on the road back to the house 400 miles away after a week away at a winter event. The junk food was playing with my innards and I couldn't wait to get out of the car and "relax" in the blue room. The minute I walked into the basement, I was struck by the cold. Usually, when I open that door I'm greeted with an overwhelming sensation of warmth because Beulah is doing her job. On this occasion, she had been out for a week of really frigid weather, and the basement felt more like the meat locker in a supermarket.

I held off nature's call for about three minutes, during which time I pulled some cold charcoal together in front of the air intake, dropped three of my small firestarters on top of them, piled on a good size armful of the dry ash, struck the match and lit it all off. Closed the doors, opened the air all the way, and off I went. As I closed the door I called out, "Honey? I need you to go down and check the stove in five minutes, OK?" "I got it." "Time it, OK? I have a full box of dry wood in there and I left it wide open." "OK, OK.... I got it."

So I settled down with the new Bailey's catalog and zoned out. After a while I realized I didn't hear her stirring, so I called out to her. No verbal response, but I hear the bed creak as she jumped off it, and then heard her feet hit the basement stairs. "Sweetie? Dan? Where's the flue thermometer?" ????? It was there just a short while ago. "It's on the pipe where it always is." "No it's not."

Then it hit me. In the last two seasons with this stove I've had the thermometer slide down the pipe several times as the high flue temps caused it to lose some of its magnetism. This was the first time that it actually fell off. At least 900ºF surface temp. 1800ºF internal gas temp.

If there was any creosote in there, it's gone bye-bye now. :shut:

Status
Not open for further replies.