Holz-oval hauzen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moondoggy

Oct 29, 2007
Long Island NY
ok, to start with, cut down a medium dead dogwood, and scored some great big locust this weekend....
(got a bunch of medium white oak last weekend.)
yippee!
but damn the big oak and locust splits easier then the smaller dogwood...that stuff is like petrified, wedge kept popping out.

now to be honest, my piles dont get the sun i wish, everyting is in the woods.... and with Winter is only 8 months away
i am afraid things wont dry in time....( i have a cord that will be fine, its this stuff i'm worried about)
So I started to build 2 Hauzens... but with no pallets, only blocks and boards, they are oval!! and not bad if i do say so.

I start thinking as i'm doing this, that in order for the Holz to do the 'chimney effect' thing, that heat is needed, now is this heat created 'naturally by the wood packed in?.... or SOLEY by the sun heating the pile?

IE.. am i better of stacking this traditionally in rows, since sunlight is very limited? or are my holzies gonna be OK?

yea when they are done i'll post pics.
thanks in advance.

yea thats what i was starting to think as i made the 2 holz's.
thanks man.

crud, i'm getting tired of stacking..... least if i were gnome it wouldnt be soo far to bend.. but i probably couldnt carry as much.

anyone else? doesnt the process work even in shade?

I've done both methods in a mostly shady area and there was no difference in moisture content. Both were around 20% after 1 year.

Status
Not open for further replies.