holzhaufen question..help?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
okay i got this pile of wood in the pic...can i just stack around the perimeter to make a halzhaufen?...been wanting to make one just havent tackled it yet

2012-01-18152217.gif

You could ..... I would prefer to get it off the ground though. When I build one I made the base out of 4 pallets put down in a square.

Looking at the pic it appears to be out in an open area with plenty of space. I'd take advantage and stack in a single row.

When you stack a holz haufen you have to allow for the wood to shrink over time. To do this you stack the outer ring of splits so that each of the splits is sloped inward. That way as the wood shrinks and hsifts a little, it shifts toward the center of the stack because the split below it is sloped inward. To keep the slits sloped inward you have to use small pieces of wood lain sideways every few layers. If you look at a pic of a holz hausen you'll see the pieces I am talking about. stacking a holz hausen takes a little practice but once you get the hang of it you'll go about as fast as normal stacking.

Here is a pic of my HHs:

Attachments

• holz hausens nov 2010.jpg
    holz hausens nov 2010.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 551
Why make these? Just curious? Is it cause they dont fall over like normal stacks?

I see those here seem to love these for some reason.

clemsonfor said:
Why make these? Just curious? Is it cause they dont fall over like normal stacks?

Nice to look at, and something to do in the winter( that's when I CSS)

clemsonfor said:

Never built one but I plan on it why? I am getting so far ahead and have the wood. 2 They look neat 3. some say your not a real member till you build one. 4 I think I will build one next summer when my grandkids come visit.

Even though its been pretty much proven the fastest way to dry your wood is single file off the ground. But that is getting so boring.

I like them, more wood in a smaller "footprint" also catches wnd from all directions. Looks nice in a back yard snuburb.

I build them because they look nice and they stand on their own - no posts required (of course I could cross stack the ends of a rectangular stack). Also I can toss odds and ends in the center, and I have lots of odds and ends.

clemsonfor said:

I've been building one a year now for a few years . . . mostly because I get bored stacking wood the traditional way and think they just look neat and are a conversation piece . . . I also thought building a holz miete was a membership requirement for belonging to hearth.com when I first joined. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.