Home-built top cutter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rottiman

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 23, 2009
Ontario Canada
Built this unit to cut tops up to 10" diameter. saw mounts on frame and acts as a chop saw. Using a pulp hook you pull the section forward to a 16" stop and operate saw with one hand. If you have a second person feeding the bed you can really sail. I have probably cut in excess of 100 cord with this and it works tickityboo. Make cutting up the small stuff quick and safe with no kick back or wood movement.

Attachments

• Firewood Ramblings 005 (Custom).jpg
    Firewood Ramblings 005 (Custom).jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 406
  • Firewood Ramblings 006 (Custom).jpg
    Firewood Ramblings 006 (Custom).jpg
    79 KB · Views: 368
That's pretty slick & simple. I like it. A C

NATE379 said:
How do you lift the logs to the table?

Since they are only 10" or smaller I just pick them up by hand. I cut everything 6 to 8 feet so that I can load up the trailer I tow behind my 4 wheeler in the bush.

"tickityboo"

I'm not familiar with much Canadian slang, but I assume this is good. (eh?)
j/k...and I really like the saw setup.

That's very cool. :coolsmile:

I think 'tickityboo' is metric for 'cats meow'. What ever the case, it is a very clever device. Thanks for sharing.

That is pretty slick. For someone that is in the proper size range of logs, I'll bet it really jumps production.

rottiman said:
Built this unit to cut tops up to 10" diameter. saw mounts on frame and acts as a chop saw. Using a pulp hook you pull the section forward to a 16" stop and operate saw with one hand. If you have a second person feeding the bed you can really sail. I have probably cut in excess of 100 cord with this and it works tickityboo. Make cutting up the small stuff quick and safe with no kick back or wood movement.

rottiman, nice looking setup.

zap

Thanks for the compliments guys. It started out as a rainy day project one time when we were trying to find a faster way to process hardwood veneer cores which we used to get at the local veneer mill. Unfortunately they ceased production here about 4 years ago. since then, I have been using it to process everything 10" and under.
Works like a champ.........................

rottiman said:
...trying to find a faster way to process hardwood veneer cores which we used to get at the local veneer mill...

Man, I bet that was some nice, easy to work with firewood. What were the dimensions and species of those rounds that you got from the mill? I really like the rig you made. Rick

fossil said:
rottiman said:
...trying to find a faster way to process hardwood veneer cores which we used to get at the local veneer mill...

Man, I bet that was some nice, easy to work with firewood. What were the dimensions and species of those rounds that you got from the mill? I really like the rig you made. Rick

Thanks Rick. We used to be able to get veneer quality hardwood cores of Oak,Maple, white and yellow birch etc. They would come in sizes of 10" and under and as smooth as rolling pins. There was absolutely no dirt, bark. Loads would consist of 8 to 9 cord and the price was 750 delivered. Awsome burn in the stoves. Unfortunately they ceased operations about 4 years ago.

rottiman said:
...We used to be able to get veneer quality hardwood cores of Oak,Maple, white and yellow birch etc. They would come in sizes of 10" and under and as smooth as rolling pins. There was absolutely no dirt, bark. Loads would consist of 8 to 9 cord and the price was 750 delivered...

Damn! What I wouldn't give...especially at my age when all this stuff just doesn't seem to be getting any easier. :-/ Rick

fossil said:
rottiman said:
...We used to be able to get veneer quality hardwood cores of Oak,Maple, white and yellow birch etc. They would come in sizes of 10" and under and as smooth as rolling pins. There was absolutely no dirt, bark. Loads would consist of 8 to 9 cord and the price was 750 delivered...

Damn! What I wouldn't give...especially at my age when all this stuff just doesn't seem to be getting any easier. :-/ Rick

Yup, I agree. @ 62 and needing a new left knee I know exactly what your saying. Still I really love my wood heat when the weather gets cold and snowy. I used to dread cutting up tops before, but this little unit makes the job a whole lot easier and safer.

62 here as well...63 in December this year. It just ain't like the old days anymore. Rick

rottiman, I had to take more than one look at this for sure and do agree that you came up with a great idea! It's like having a third arm and hand.

Good simple design!
Got a big wheelbarrow?

bfunk13 said:
Good simple design!
Got a big wheelbarrow?

Actually, I usually put the bucket of the loader on the tractor right under the end and catch it. One less step in having to handle it. Just take the tractor right to the stack and enter er' into the inventory......................

Status
Not open for further replies.