Home Comfort Wood Cook Stove -- BTUs, square footage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Farmer_Jon

Jan 31, 2022
USA
Greetings- I have recently come across a couple of Home Comfort Wood Cook Stoves, that were made in the 40's. One is in really good shape and would fit our kitchen nicely. My question is .. does anyone know how much heat these old gals kick out? Aporox BTUs, or square footage. ?
We presently heat our farmhouse (~1800sq') with a Napoleon and have used it was a cook surface, but it has some obvious limitations. A Kitchen Queen or Ashland would be nice, but I don't have that type of money.
example.. https://dealers.antiquesnavigator.com/d-392770/home-comfort-wood-cook-stove.html

Thanks in advance...

Greetings- I have recently come across a couple of Home Comfort Wood Cook Stoves, that were made in the 40's. One is in really good shape and would fit our kitchen nicely. My question is .. does anyone know how much heat these old gals kick out? Aporox BTUs, or square footage. ?
We presently heat our farmhouse (~1800sq') with a Napoleon and have used it was a cook surface, but it has some obvious limitations. A Kitchen Queen or Ashland would be nice, but I don't have that type of money.
example.. https://dealers.antiquesnavigator.com/d-392770/home-comfort-wood-cook-stove.html

Thanks in advance...
These are primarily cooking appliances not heaters. Yes they put out some heat but they are far from efficient

Reactions: SpaceBus
I would expect a cookstove that is porcelain jacketed to radiate less heat. My suspicion is that the porcelain steel cabinet helps reduce clearances and makes the stove more comfortable to use in shoulder seasons, but it's not a design for heating. Additionally, many of these stoves are primarily coal burners, and not very efficient with wood burning. Also, in addition to the initial cost, there will be repair costs to bring it up to safe service. And last, will your insurance company approve a wood cookstove that is not UL tested and certified?

How large an area would the stove be heating and in what state? If the area is <1000 sq ft. you might like the Drolet Bistro.

I would expect a cookstove that is porcelain jacketed to radiate less heat. My suspicion is that the porcelain steel cabinet helps reduce clearances and makes the stove more comfortable to use in shoulder seasons, but it's not a design for heating. Additionally, many of these stoves are primarily coal burners, and not very efficient with wood burning. Also, in addition to the initial cost, there will be repair costs to bring it up to safe service. And last, will your insurance company approve a wood cookstove that is not UL tested and certified?

How large an area would the stove be heating and in what state? If the area is <1000 sq ft. you might like the Drolet Bistro.

All really great points. Thanks so much.. The gent who’s the Home Comfort did say that it heats his kitchen, but not the rest of the house. . That Drolet Bistro is a nice looking stove, but I need to heat just under 2k sq’… .

Several here have cookstoves, I'm sure one of them will be along in the next few days. They have varying feedback on the amount of heat put off by the cookstove, while it's actually burning, but they all seem to share a firebox size / burn time problem. Based only on what others here have said about their own cookstoves, I won't say you couldn't heat with one, but I will say you probably won't be sleeping thru the night if you want it warm in the morning.

All really great points. Thanks so much.. The gent who’s the Home Comfort did say that it heats his kitchen, but not the rest of the house. . That Drolet Bistro is a nice looking stove, but I need to heat just under 2k sq’… .
Which Napoleon stove is in the house now? How well is it heating the house? Does it run 24/7 all winter long or mostly nights and weekends?

We've got the 1400 w/legs.. link below... It heats the house awesome.. just replaced the baffles. It runs 24/7 all winter long, way up in the mountains of northern Vermont. This is our second Napoleon. Had the pedestal model of the same stove when I was stationed in Canada... and it also heated a larger house 24/7.

I bought the 1400 w/legs since it didn't have that cover over the top of the stove, since I wanted a hotter surface area to cook-on. Propane is really expensive, so we cook on it everyday..oatmeal, eggs, hash browns, tortillas.. and we always have a pot of beans going... but the plate steel wasn't designed for it, so are seeing some sinking/warping. I'm told this could also be from failing baffles. It would also be nice to do some baking. If I had a slab foundation, I'd build a masonry stove like my folks had growing up... that thing was a beast.

From what I understand, these Napoleon models were discontinued because they could not meet efficiency requirements..., which blows my mind because I thought they were fairly efficient... as I've heated with this stove for over 10 years.., avg 5 cords per winter. (https://woodstovepro.com/stoves/wood-stoves/napoleon-1400-black-wood-burning-stove-w-legs-1400/

Bakers Choice or Pioneer Maid from Suppertime will both heat up to 2000 sf. They are cheaper than a Kitchen Queen, also a bit lighter.

We almost went with a stove from Suppertime Stoves, until seeing the Queen built in person and weighing the advantages. The large size will heat up to 3000 sf, but comfortably heats 2000 sf. The Grand Comfort now has secondary burn, not sure about the advancements of others. They also have glass doors in both firebox and oven, and the largest water heating capacity of any cookstove.

We heated with a Fisher Goldilocks in the middle of the kitchen since we built a home with open floor plan until we doubled the size of the home to just under 2000 sf. Then connected a Mama Bear for one winter, and for a larger cooktop and more heat in anticipation of a colder winter, went to a Papa Bear. I already had the stoves, so there was no additional cost.

Finally decided to go with a even larger cooktop with the KQ 480 to add a oven and water heating tank. (48 inch wide cooktop, is now the 750 model) Best money spent. I could install the firebox heating coil for additional radiant or baseboard heat if needed. This is our only heat source unless we start a coal stove on a second chimney. With rising fuel costs, this year will be wood only. I would only upgrade to the Country Comfort due to secondary burn capability. I added a thermostat which the newer stoves come with now. Unfortunately the oven is no longer stainless inside, but the outlet has been changed to 6 inch and the oven clean out has been moved to the front.

Even if you have to get a loan, the fuel savings heating with a more efficient wood stove will pay the finance charges many times over. You can also watch for a used Queen and drive for it. If we moved, this stove would go with us and install a heat pump to sell the home. They are that good.

Last edited:
We've got the 1400 w/legs.. link below... It heats the house awesome.. just replaced the baffles. It runs 24/7 all winter long, way up in the mountains of northern Vermont. This is our second Napoleon. Had the pedestal model of the same stove when I was stationed in Canada... and it also heated a larger house 24/7.
That's a venerable 2 cu ft stove, but I am not following why wouldn't the 2.4 cu ft Osburn Bistro work?

That Drolet Bistro is a nice looking stove, but I need to heat just under 2k sq’… .

Great suggestions. Thanks. Wow... that Pioneer Princess with the Glass Door would be nice. The wife wasn't too keen on losing the view of the fire. We've been wood only for a few years now. Also saved on a gym membership ;). With fuel prices they way they are, I have grave concerns that the elderly in our area will go w/out heat or resort to more desperate means. As a volunteer firefighter, we saw some of that last winter... more fires and affixation. We also saw more people in the food bank, as most of their income was absorbed by rising fuel costs.

BTW... I'm also a fisher fan. I'm restoring a grandma in the barn this summer. It was in really rough shape, but it's coming along nicely. I'm gonna weld the angle iron in there to put in a thick baffle. Will put it in the bottom of the barn and then run the stove pipe through a shop I use on the second floor.

Great suggestions. Thanks. Wow... that Pioneer Princess with the Glass Door would be nice. The wife wasn't too keen on losing the view of the fire. We've been wood only for a few years now. Also saved on a gym membership ;). With fuel prices they way they are, I have grave concerns that the elderly in our area will go w/out heat or resort to more desperate means. As a volunteer firefighter, we saw some of that last winter... more fires and affixation. We also saw more people in the food bank, as most of their income was absorbed by rising fuel costs.

BTW... I'm also a fisher fan. I'm restoring a grandma in the barn this summer. It was in really rough shape, but it's coming along nicely. I'm gonna weld the angle iron in there to put in a thick baffle. Will put it in the bottom of the barn and then run the stove pipe through a shop I use on the second floor.
Yes some modern cook stoves will heat your space. But they won't be anywhere near as efficient or burn as clean as a dedicated heater.

Maybe so? I need to research further.. I thought is said only 1,000sq'. Maybe I misread it.
Drolet says up to 2100 sq ft. YMMV.

Drolet says up to 2100 sq ft. YMMV.
Bakers Choice or Pioneer Maid from Suppertime will both heat up to 2000 sf. They are cheaper than a Kitchen Queen, also a bit lighter.

We almost went with a stove from Suppertime Stoves, until seeing the Queen built in person and weighing the advantages. The large size will heat up to 3000 sf, but comfortably heats 2000 sf. The Grand Comfort now has secondary burn, not sure about the advancements of others. They also have glass doors in both firebox and oven, and the largest water heating capacity of any cookstove.

We heated with a Fisher Goldilocks in the middle of the kitchen since we built a home with open floor plan until we doubled the size of the home to just under 2000 sf. Then connected a Mama Bear for one winter, and for a larger cooktop and more heat in anticipation of a colder winter, went to a Papa Bear. I already had the stoves, so there was no additional cost.

Finally decided to go with a even larger cooktop with the KQ 480 to add a oven and water heating tank. (48 inch wide cooktop, is now the 750 model) Best money spent. I could install the firebox heating coil for additional radiant or baseboard heat if needed. This is our only heat source unless we start a coal stove on a second chimney. With rising fuel costs, this year will be wood only. I would only upgrade to the Country Comfort due to secondary burn capability. I added a thermostat which the newer stoves come with now. Unfortunately the oven is no longer stainless inside, but the outlet has been changed to 6 inch and the oven clean out has been moved to the front.

Even if you have to get a loan, the fuel savings heating with a more efficient wood stove will pay the finance charges many times over. You can also watch for a used Queen and drive for it. If we moved, this stove would go with us and install a heat pump to sell the home. They are that good.
Update: I found a KQ 480 !!! Just about 2.5 hours away. I'm heading down tomorrow to look at it and make an offer. It doesn't have a water jacket, but plan to add that and the glass doors.

Update: I found a KQ 480 !!! Just about 2.5 hours away. I'm heading down tomorrow to look at it and make an offer. It doesn't have a water jacket, but plan to add that and the glass doors.
Good luck! Waiting for an update and pictures.

I drove for mine too. The Suppertime stoves are not quite as heavy duty. They are gauge steel. KQ uses 1/4 inch plate for firebox and top. The older ones have stainless oven and oven door interior.

The Amish use both. They do all night canning operations, where neighbors bring their products to a home with a Queen. The others warp, can bow tops, and latterly wear them out with high sustained temps. I figured if the Queen can do that, they are the heaviest duty and will take what we give it.

The glass is nice to see how the fire is doing, but radiation from flames comes through heating your legs. The brick inside is regular thin firebrick used in most stoves, but across the front is full thickness firebrick to alleviate the heat going forward toward you. The solid firebox door has an inner plate. The intake air comes in the center, and splits inside the door across an opening all across the bottom, and holes at top for secondary air to get to top of fire. So the inner door panel insulated the heat from your legs. That’s why I went with a solid door. Years ago there was thread here with another owner that experienced the same smell I get. Sort of chemical outside, like extremely hot metal, or an engine running hot and lean. Found it was due to near perfect combustion that I believe newer stove owners experience. I think it has to do with the upper air intake causing secondary combustion. I cleaned mid season with a Soot Eater from bottom up and found I didn’t need to. So I burn clean enough to only need cleaning at season end. I keep my pipe damper wide open and have straight up 6 inch insulated Dura-Vent chimney pipe.

Don’t be concerned about reducing to 6 if the one you are looking at is the older 7 inch. Unless you have els and horizontal runs, 6 inch works great for me straight up.

Gaskets on these are flat, folded in the center. There is a slot they push into, so there is no cement used. You can change them hot. Mine is a 2006 (there is a big tag on the back with build date) and still using original gaskets.

The 24 gallon tank heats fine where it sets on a plate around the outlet, and stove top edge. I added angle brackets on the back for extra support and a place to hang utensils. Poker, scraper, whatever. Large Amish families using more hot water connect the coil optional coil in firebox to tank as shown on their website. This makes too much hot water and over humidifies the home for as much hot water as we use. So I never installed the coil for circulation through tank. It is vented to the atmosphere, so you can adjust lids for how much water vapor you want for humidification.

I put it on 2 furniture dollys with back, bricks, and doors removed. I have a handicap ramp on my home since I collect stoves and move heavy stuff here all the time. My trailer tilts, have to keep these on wheels. With 24 gallons added it is pushing 1000 lbs. that is how you can tell how cookstoves are built. Look at the weight.

I remember seeing one for sale about a month ago, stated it had slight warpage on rear. I was thinking of getting it for my log cabin, but I really need the smaller version for under 1000 sf.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what year this one was made. The seller said he's the 3rd owner, but it does look lightly used from the pics. The ad has been up for a month and no takers.. and he states he's "motivated" so I'm bringing the wife to drive home a bargain. I built a hardwood heavy duty dolly for it today with big casters I had laying around. He said the legs were 42-1/2" x 22".. so it should fit perfect. The hot water coil looks covered in creosote, so I may hit it with my bead blaster before bringing it in the house. I would really like to plumb that out to a boiler in the room right above it. Have you ever seen that done? Having a backup off-grid source of hot water is very appealing these days. It should fit our hearth with little room to spare. Fingers crossed.

Yes, the coil can be connected to the hot water supply to the circulating system above it. The larger the lines the better for circulation without pump in an open system. (Vented tank at top to maintain water level manually with water glass, or float) For closed systems; 3/4 ID PEX with vapor barrier for boiler hot water systems. The upper line of coil is always the outlet for circulation to baseboard or tank (known as a hot water keeper) as it rises in that direction. An expansion tank, relief valve, and air bleed at top is needed in a closed system just like a boiler.

The coil is a U shaped stainless steel 3/4 schedule 40 pipe. Here is a webpage with details of hot water heating systems added to cookstoves. It mentions opening relief valves when a coil is very clean until creosote builds up on it reducing the water temperature output. Give it a scrape, occasionally, doesn’t need to be clean as new.

My favorite publication is “Kitchen Boiler Connections” 1913; http://wood-boilers.net/wp-content/...Kitchen-Boiler-Connections-William-Hutton.pdf

Last edited:
My favorite publication is “Kitchen Boiler Connections” 1913; http://wood-boilers.net/wp-content/...Kitchen-Boiler-Connections-William-Hutton.pdf
Two similar tombs on my desk right now:
36E45C80-EA3B-46F1-9D9F-0DC420B6AD3B.jpeg 4C7E2A06-CD2E-4FF9-9B3C-4980E3155906.jpeg

Two similar tombs on my desk right now:
View attachment 296709 View attachment 296710

Success! Quite a white knuckler driving this gal through the mountains, but we both got home in one piece. This is an older KQ (1998), so it doesn’t have the thermostat. It also has a hole/slot someone cut in the back between the oven and the firebox. The seller never had a chance to use it and says is came that way. Based on his research, he found that the stove came with a vent hole in that location. So, it looks like someone just expanded it… for reasons unknown. Wasn’t a show stopper for me, as I weld and that’s a quick patch job. But, before I do that, I’m wondering if the enlarged hold might be a good thing? More draft? IDK.

What do you think?

All-in-all, I’m pretty satisfied with over-all condition. It was lightly used. Just needs some TLC and cleaning.

2022-07-03 13.15.00.jpg 2022-07-03 13.15.25.jpg

Success! Quite a white knuckler driving this gal through the mountains, but we both got home in one piece. This is an older KQ (1998), so it doesn’t have the thermostat. It also has a hole/slot someone cut in the back between the oven and the firebox. The seller never had a chance to use it and says is came that way. Based on his research, he found that the stove came with a vent hole in that location. So, it looks like someone just expanded it… for reasons unknown. Wasn’t a show stopper for me, as I weld and that’s a quick patch job. But, before I do that, I’m wondering if the enlarged hold might be a good thing? More draft? IDK.

What do you think?

All-in-all, I’m pretty satisfied with over-all condition. It was lightly used. Just needs some TLC and cleaning.

View attachment 296721 View attachment 296722
Make sure you have plenty of wood. These are good stoves but nowhere near the efficiency of a modern heater like your Napoleon

What do you think?

View attachment 296721 View attachment 296722

Make sure you have plenty of wood. These are good stoves but nowhere near the efficiency of a modern heater like your Napoleon
Yeh, right. My Napoleon was just discontinued because it could meet 'modern' efficiency standards, but yet this American-made Kitchen Queen passed with flying colors and has a 16 hour burn-time? After 16 hours, my Napoleon is stone cold. My Amish neighbor has the same model KQ.. he burns 3 cords and his wife has a baking business. I go through 5 cords and I've got a smaller house than they do.

As a cookstove owner I want a convective jacket to soften the heat output so I can stand near it longer. A cookstove is a poor choice for heating a home, but it can be done. Usually a cookstove sized to heat the whole house is going to be overpowering in shoulder seasons, meaning you use it less.

Yeh, right. My Napoleon was just discontinued because it could meet 'modern' efficiency standards, but yet this American-made Kitchen Queen passed with flying colors and has a 16 hour burn-time? After 16 hours, my Napoleon is stone cold. My Amish neighbor has the same model KQ.. he burns 3 cords and his wife has a baking business. I go through 5 cords and I've got a smaller house than they do.
No the kitchen queen did not pass at all, it is exempt as are all cookstoves. And what we are talking about is emissions testing not efficiency regardless.

What temps does your neighbor keep the house at? Most Amish here don't keep the houses warm at all.