Home Depot Maul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a problem with someone extolling the virtues of something new they have come up with. For Oak I would think it would work quite well but I would be rather skeptical on how how it against elm or Sweetgum. I did watch the videos and it looks like ash or poplar. I wouldn't mind being proven wrong on something like that.

churchie-sgc said:
FINLAND said:
DavidV said:
I have the red handled one and it works like a charm. that high tek one looks interesting but wouldnt do well on elm I bet.
Hello DavidV
Thank you for your interest towards VIPUKIRVES/LEVERAXE. To make the story short and easy, go to www.arboristsite.com/index.php . There you can find a lot of wrirings about this new innovation. Search by words: VIPUKIRVES, LEVERAXE, AXE, MAUL. I hope you to find satisfactory information .
All the best from FINLAND
www.vipukirves.fi

This is not a forum for hocking one's product, and the moderators here won't stand for it. It's great to have members from across the pond, what can you tell us about the Finland stove market, what stove do you run personally (masonry stove?), what are the energy costs in the country.

Personally I have used a stove made of soaptone. We have a soapstone mine in finland. soapstone is very good construction material for stoves because of many advantidges what this material offers. It can stand a lot of heat, It can reserve a lot of heat, It is easy to form, because of its strucrure. These stoves are made in very modern factories in eastern Finland. They have laser-type of equipments to cut the peaces of the stone which later on will be glued togeather to become a nice fireplace. As far as I know, this is different type of a fireplace what you have there. This is equipped with doors, so we burn the wood inside the stove. We burn the logs in the stove only an hour or maybe two hours. On that time the whole fireplace is hot,(all of its structure). Then we close the doors of the fireplace and cut the connection to the chimney. The fireplace will remains hot long enough to give heat (warmth) for the next 24-36 hours . Then you must burn some logs in it again.
I personally have a fireplace like this. The weight of it is about 3000 kilos. It is also equipped with electricity so that if I do not heat it with wood, then it heats automatically with electricity. I can use the night electricity, then it is cheaper. I believe that most of the stoves are masonry type with doors. Some of them are made of bricks though I consider the soapstone to be superior. The energy is expensive, wood-heating is still tolerable way to keep yourself warm. There are some information about these Finnish fireplaces on www.tulikivi.fi.
Constructive regards from FINLAND
www.vipukirves.fi

DavidV said:
I don't have a problem with someone extolling the virtues of something new they have come up with. For Oak I would think it would work quite well but I would be rather skeptical on how how it against elm or Sweetgum. I did watch the videos and it looks like ash or poplar. I wouldn't mind being proven wrong on something like that.
On the video 1 you can see PINE and BIRCH. On the video 2 there is only BIRCH.
We do not have ELM and SWEETGUM in Finland. That is why I am not going to speculate about them.
One day we will know all the answers to these questions.
All the best from FINLAND

HI Craig,

we could set up a testers ring: everyone who wants to signs up and uses it for 2 weeks, then they must send it to the next person on the list. We all get to use it and discuss its virtues and it costs little or nothing.

Carpniels

That's a great idea, Craig and Niels. Sign me up!

Hi Finland. Please send a smoke sauna, too.

Webmaster said:
Finland, let us know when you want to send one or two of those over here for testing - you will surely get your moneys worth, as these forum members are in touch with a lot of people!

I know Eric will volunteer to swing that thing!
Hello Webmaster
Your idea is not bad. Why don´t you gather a group of testers togeather. Put your money to the same box and make your order. For further details contact me via e-mail. You will find the e-mail adress on my homepages . Click YHTEYSTIEDOT.
Regards FINLAND
www.vipukirves.fi

Well it that don't beat all I have ever seen. Craig lets the guy get away with spamming his forum and then the character has the gaul to suggest that Craig pay him for a hatchet to review.

I suggest that Finland put some of his own money to the box and send it to Craig to sign up as a Forum sponsor.

BrotherBart said:
Well it that don't beat all I have ever seen. Craig lets the guy get away with spamming his forum and then the character has the gaul to suggest that Craig pay him for a hatchet to review.

I suggest that Finland put some of his own money to the box and send it to Craig to sign up as a Forum sponsor.

I am sorry to surprise you like this. It is not my meaning to spam or something like that. I honestly want you all to be aware about this invention. It is for your own safety. I have put my money to the box already a couple of hundred thousand euros. I thought that you could put some 220-240e together to get one VIPUKIRVES/LEVERAXE for your common use. Of course other alternatives are also negotiable. So far this is a one mans company and I am doing a lot of work with this project. I live in the country of SANTA-CLAUS, but I am not him. My English is also limited that is why I cannot express myself as I would like to. You do not loose anything by contacting me via e-mail.
Sincerelly FINLAND
www.vipukirves.fi

200 euro for a splitting axe? I've got a decent splitting axe for$25 that seldome takes more than one swing. If the price ever comes down I'll have to check them out.

DavidV said:
200 euro for a splitting axe? I've got a decent splitting axe for$25 that seldome takes more than one swing. If the price ever comes down I'll have to check them out.

I'm sure Harbor Freight will have a $24.99 version soon.

I understand, Finland, as I also have a one man company that I invested a couple hundred thousand dollars into - and then when I go to open distributors, they want to know how many free items that I am going to give them!

It's difficult being in business. You take all the risk. That's the way it is.

The friends here were offering to do some marketing for you - that is, they know all the right people. Some of them write articles for logging magazine. Others, like myself, write for over 2 million people per year. So you would get a lot of information from having one of the units here for testing.

We would, of course, spend the freight to send it around to the circle of friends. And, when we were done we will send it back to anywhere in the USA.

Keep it in mind - it might be a first step toward seeing if the unit will be accepted here and it is cheaper than flying over here and presenting at trade shows, etc.

Hej Finland, hur mår du? Talar du svenska?

Craig really is offering you a good deal. Look at your total cost to send one ax to him. If only a few people purchase the ax as a result of his review, you're likely to make back your expenditure. More likely, you'll end up with some contracts to have your ax carried in some high-priced yuppy wood stove stores.

I ran my business very frugally, but it's true that sometimes you have to spend money to make money.

Ha det så bra!

Webmaster said:
I understand, Finland, as I also have a one man company that I invested a couple hundred thousand dollars into - and then when I go to open distributors, they want to know how many free items that I am going to give them!

It's difficult being in business. You take all the risk. That's the way it is.

The friends here were offering to do some marketing for you - that is, they know all the right people. Some of them write articles for logging magazine. Others, like myself, write for over 2 million people per year. So you would get a lot of information from having one of the units here for testing.

We would, of course, spend the freight to send it around to the circle of friends. And, when we were done we will send it back to anywhere in the USA.

Keep it in mind - it might be a first step toward seeing if the unit will be accepted here and it is cheaper than flying over here and presenting at trade shows, etc.
Hello Webmaster
Thank you very much for your helpful and kind reply. You are 100% right. I have some ideas how to get the first test sample to your hands. Please, contact me via e-mail. You will find the adress as I wrote earlier above.
Best regards, FINLAND
www.vipukirves.fi

Hej WarmGuy
Jag pratar lite svenska . Jag förstår mer en jag kan prata. Du har rett. Det lönar sig at skicka et par yxor till USA för testbrook. Det är mycket enkelt at skicka yxan till Sverige, det kommer med posten. Man kan betala den också i posten (postförskottbelopp 220 e) Priset inneholler yxan och transpoten.
Var so vänlig och go till mina hemsidorna. Det finns nogra artiklar om HÄVKRAFTSYXAn i MEDIA sidan. Där finns också, svenska artiklar.Kanske du kunde förklara någonting av yxan till våra vänner i Amerika. Om bu har någonting att fråga, kontakta mig via min e-mail. Du hittar adresset i min hemsidan. Var bor du i Sverige. Det har varit mycket dåliga väder i södra Sverige på vintern. Det finns många HÄVKRAFTSYXOR där också.
Jag hoppas at höra någonting av dig.

hey something must be wrong with the server.....the posts are showing up as all jibberish.

I think he said
I speak little Swedish. I understand more an I can to speak. You have reda. The pays off at to send et pairs yxor to USA for test bridge okay. The is a lot of simple at to send yxan to Sweden, the comes with the post office. One can pay the also in the post office (post office advance amounts 220 e) the price holding saying Eenie smiles yxan and transpoten.
Is so kind and go to my homepages. The exists nogra articles about HÄVKRAFTSYXAn in THE MEDIUMS the side. There exists also, Swedish articles. Kanke you could explain something of yxan to our friends in America. About bu has something to ask, contacts me via my e-mail. You find adresset in my homepage. Where lives you in Sweden. The has been a lot of poor weathers in southern Sweden in the winter. The exists many HÄVKRAFTSYXOR there also.
I hope at to consult something of you.

This may sound downright silly but when I watched his video I liked the idea of using a tire to keep a round intact while splitting . . .but some say I am easily amused . . .

The tire thing is an old, old trick.

Back to the OT of this post.

I used one of those 4lb Home Cheapo mauls the other day to knock apart some pretty straight grained splits. Hogz was there and can vouch for the performance. It lacks to punch that my regular old 8 pounder gives me, but I didn't have a hard time splitting these pretty easy pieces. I did manage to get the head wedged like an axe, as someone mentioned earlier.

Really had to fling the thing down to get results though and when the pieces did split, they were flying 5-6 feet apart. Not my ideal choice for a splitting maul, but it worked ok.

I'll stick with my standard 8lb no-frills maul and the wooden handle it came with.

Maybe it's cause I'm over 40. That 4 pounder does me just find. I still keep the 8 pounder close in case I need to call upon the mighty power of Thor.

I think I'm just spoiled by the 8 pounder and how I can get away with such light swings when I know an its an easy split.

Even with the easy splits, I felt that I had to throw the 4 pounder quite a bit harder to get results.

Eric Johnson said:
The tire thing is an old, old trick.
But not very recommendable if you are using a conventional/traditional axe, because the axeblade gos all the way throw the block. It means that the handle will sooner or later hit to a peace of wood under the handle and so the handle will break. The blade of VIPUKIRVES/LEVERAXE always remains on the block. It does not go throw the block. That is why the handle very seldom even touches the block.
FINLAND

Status
Not open for further replies.