Home depot stove or brand name?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shiest

Hearth Supporter
Jan 31, 2007
I am getting rid of my wood boiler and installing a wood stove. The guy who is installing my chimney is steering me toward a pacific energy. I know these stoves have a loyal following. But my question is what do I lose by buying a stove from Home Depot or Lowes? Is there a huge difference? Is this an example of "you get what you pay for"? or would I be just as happy with a U.S. Stove from Lowes? Help is much appreciated. I need to make a decision soon.

It will help a lot if you'll describe the space to be heated (sq. ft., configuration), the geographical area (climate), the wood source(s) available to you, your installation intentions (pro or DIY), your budget, your intended flue routing, etc., etc., etc.

Stoves made in America by England Stove Works are sold in the box stores. Englanders are top-notch no frills affordable heating machines that are universally loved by their owners. Rick

There are differences between the PE and Home Depot or Lowes stoves, like baffle design, jacketed cabinet, etc.. If going with the big box I agree that my preference would be Englander. Whether that will work for you or not depends on the requirements, budget, clearances, etc..

Note that the Englander may be sold under another label like TimberRidge or Summers Heat. They are all the same. You can also order these stoves online and delivered from their outlet store:

http://www.overstockstoves.com/

Reactions: firecracker_77
There are differences between the PE and Home Depot or Lowes stoves, like baffle design, jacketed cabinet, etc.. If going with the big box I agree that my preference would be Englander. Whether that will work for you or not depends on the requirements, budget, clearances, etc..

Note that the Englander may be sold under another label like TimberRidge or Summers Heat. They are all the same. You can also order these stoves online and delivered from their outlet store:

http://www.overstockstoves.com/

I live in upstate NY. Winters can get down to the single digits or below zero at nights regularly. Depends on the winter. I will be heating with mostly seasoned maple with some other hardwoods mixed in. I My home is 1900 sq ft with about 500-600 of that below the level of the stove. House was built in 88 so fairly well insulated. VERY windy all winter long. Seeing as I need to install a chimney my budget is somewhat limited for the stove. I can probably spend 2,300 on the stove. I dont know how much PE stoves run as I havn't priced them through the guy who is installingmy Chimney yet. Talked to him today and he said he was sending me an estimate on a PE super 27.

Home Depot also offers US Stove models as well. I believe some members here have had some good results from the manufacturer, as well.

I live in upstate NY. Winters can get down to the single digits or below zero at nights regularly. Depends on the winter. I will be heating with mostly seasoned maple with some other hardwoods mixed in. I My home is 1900 sq ft with about 500-600 of that below the level of the stove. House was built in 88 so fairly well insulated. VERY windy all winter long. Seeing as I need to install a chimney my budget is somewhat limited for the stove. I can probably spend 2,300 on the stove. I dont know how much PE stoves run as I havn't priced them through the guy who is installingmy Chimney yet. Talked to him today and he said he was sending me an estimate on a PE super 27.

The Super 27 runs between $1,500-2,000, I believe.

EDIT: Looks like the Super 27 runs about $1,650.

Go big on that stove. Upstate NY sounds very cold.
It is cold but what do you guys think about my layout? its 1900 sq ft. but 600 is below level of stove. Its like a split level ranch but not quite. Hard to explain. Only one door leads down to that extra 600 sq ft. I dont think my stove will effectively heat it. So do you think I am right to say I am only trying to effectively heat 1300 or so sq ft?

It is cold but what do you guys think about my layout? its 1900 sq ft. but 600 is below level of stove. Its like a split level ranch but not quite. Hard to explain. Only one door leads down to that extra 600 sq ft. I dont think my stove will effectively heat it. So do you think I am right to say I am only trying to effectively heat 1300 or so sq ft?

I think the PE would serve you well if it fits your budget. If you have 1,300 sq ft of heating needs then I would go with a 2 - 2.5 cu ft stove. The PE 27 is a 2 cu ft stove and will offer good burn times from the reports I have read here.

That largely depends on your expectations. Do you intend to heat all of that space 100% with the stove, or will your furnace be pulling backup duty? How warm do you need the space below the stove, just above freezing, or comfortable for watching TV?

...Only one door leads down to that extra 600 sq ft. I dont think my stove will effectively heat it. So do you think I am right to say I am only trying to effectively heat 1300 or so sq ft?

Yes, I'd say, for the most part. Getting heat from a woodstove to go downstairs is just an exercise in futility and frustration. Rick

OK so lets say I could get the PE if I wanted to. Why should I? What i that extra 1500 going to get me?

In order for that heat to go down, you would need a pretty darn good "forced" thermal loop. With only one access point - it will be very difficult.

You looking at 24/7 burning or nights/weekends? The super 27 is one of the few 2.0 cuft stoves that will comfortably run that long on a wood load. The Englander 13nc does not excel at holding overnight fires and I think stepping up the the NC30 might just be a bit larger than you need. You are kinda right in that sweet spot of over night fires vs too much heat.

Reactions: BrowningBAR
OK so lets say I could get the PE if I wanted to. Why should I? What i that extra 1500 going to get me?

As Jags stated, the Super will give longer burn times than the Englander 13. The 30 will be too large for your needs.

You could give the 2 cu ft US Stove a try:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...keyword=wood+stove&storeId=10051#.UDKNoaBTCF8

It will be a little larger than the Englander 13 and may offer a little more burn time. Can't be sure, though. The PE will perform better in terms of burn times.

By far the best prices on US Stoves is not at lowes or home depot but TSC THose tractor supply stores all over the country. I got a nice stove last year for $499 that was way more at lowes and Home depot. Just checked the 2500 model is $899 at TSC and $1249 at HD

Reactions: BrowningBAR
Does the Englander have an easily replaceable baffle/burn tubes? Does anyone know how much I would be looking at to replace them on the PE? Oh and before I forget. You guys are awesome... have been coming to my rescue since '07

Does the Englander have an easily replaceable baffle/burn tubes? Does anyone know how much I would be looking at to replace them on the PE? Oh and before I forget. You guys are awesome... have been coming to my rescue since '07

Burn tubes rarely need to be replaced. PE does note use burn tubes. Their reburn design is a little different than the traditional burn tubes.

Burn tube replacement cost should not be the deciding factor for purchasing as the cost may never come into play during the life span of a non-cat stove.

The PE mainline stoves do not have burn tubes. They have a lifetime warrantied stainless steel baffle box that contains the secondary manifold within it.

How open is the floor plan or at least the area to the rest of the house where the stove will be? If it it nice and open to the other rooms I would consider going up in size for longer burn times. That would be the Englander 30NC or the PE Summit. Alternatively, you might also see about getting a Napoleon 1900 or Drolet 2000HT if the pricing is better. If the stove room is somewhat isolated or the rooms downstairs are closed off from each other by doors and hallways, then perhaps the 2 cu ft stove would be better together with a well placed fan to aid heat circulation.

Does the Englander have an easily replaceable baffle/burn tubes?
Burn tubes are pretty rare to need replacement unless you beat the snot out of the stove. Some report that the baffles can get abused when loading wood. Keep your splits out of the baffles and they should also last for a long time.

The floor plan is more or less wide open. I saw a bad video review about an englander ( smaller one) not throwing out much heat. I know its one review and there are a lot of factors but it did scare me a little. I would like to get an overnight burn. You think the super 27 is too small? Does anyone know how much more the summit is? I will tell you this, I have a fireplace with a blower now (one of those not quite fireplace, not quite wood insert deals) and when it is going it heats my main living spaces quite well. So I guess burn time would be a major factor.

I saw a bad video review about an englander ( smaller one) not throwing out much heat. I know its one review and there are a lot of factors but it did scare me a little.

That guy was a clown and shouldn't be allowed to run a stove. He would have had a bad time with ANY modern stove. If you look at the comments in the video you will see most of us from this forum are on there trying to let him know what he was doing wrong. In the end, he wouldn't listen.

Here is the video I am assuming you are referring to:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/nc-30-review-funny.88918/

If somebody is not producing good heat from an NC-13 then either the install is faulty or the operator is faulty. They are fine little stoves that I have several hours of sitting in the presence of.

Personally the super 27 sounds about like the right fit. You start talking Summit and you are talking about a pretty big stove (but hey, I LIKE big stoves). Your ability to move air will play a big factor in the comfort level of using a big stove.

Yeah his logic didnt make sense. If the heat was being trapped in the stove then his pipe would have been hot. But he said he couldnt get his pipe hot either. Plus Im not so sure about the angle of that pipe. Im leaning towards the super 27. Is that the consensus? Super 27's get significantly longer burn times?

Im leaning towards the super 27. Is that the consensus? Super 27's get significantly longer burn times?

The best stove to get is the one you can afford. If the Super 27 is within your budget, than that is a good choice. The Super 27 will get longer burn times than the Englander 13 or the US Stove of a comparable size.

We get reports of inadequate heating with good stoves every year. They often are blaming the stove when the problem is the wood or draft, poor technique or all of these errors. If they come here we help them get to burning the stove well. Like my dad used to say, in a car the most important nut is the one behind the wheel.

From what you have described there are several stoves in the mid-size range that would work fine for you. You could go larger, but if the house is well insulated the Super 27 will do the job. You will have to push it harder when dealing with sub-zero temps. don't fret, we all do under those conditions. If you want in between the Super 27(2 cu ft) and the Summit (3 cu ft) there is a 2.5 cu ft Enviro Kodiak or the Jotul F55 that would also be a nice fit I think.

Reactions: Shadow&Flame
Status
Not open for further replies.