Home Depot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr Crabs said:
Went to Sears.com and they have them. They are not in stock on line but if you enter your zip code they will tell you which Sears Stores have them. In my area (Orange County New York) the axes are in stock. Going shopping in the morning.
Chris

Thanks for posting this method. Site said my local Sears had them in stock. Went there and they only had the 28'' pro model with the 2# head. Bought it and used it this morning. Absolutly blows the splitting maul away.

FWIW, I just checked the Ace hardware website, and they have the Fiskars 28" / 4.25 lb head splitting axe listed on the site as "in stock" for $51.99 - they also have the sharpener for it.

Ace does free "ship to store" so if you have one near you, that might be an option.

Gooserider

I have never heard of an "axe sharpening tool". Followed fossils link and found out. I learn something new from this site EVERY DARN DAY. I don't need one, but if a person was "challenged" in the arena of sharpening tools, I could see this as a useful item.

I bought that one from Lowe's too and have been completely unimpressed with it. It either gets stuck or bounces off.

Jags said:
I have never heard of an "axe sharpening tool". Followed fossils link and found out. I learn something new from this site EVERY DARN DAY. I don't need one, but if a person was "challenged" in the arena of sharpening tools, I could see this as a useful item.

Tried Fossils link, didn't work, but if the tool puts a hollow grind like the fiskars axe has, it would be quite a time saver for most anyone. Thinking about reshaping a regular 8# maul along the lines of the fiskars axe. Can't make it any worse than it is. I think the hollow grind on the edge is a big part of it.

The Fiskars sharpener isn't any great shakes...just a couple of angled round stones in a holder, like a common kitchen knife sharpener. All it's capable of doing is "refreshing" the edge of a carefully used, slightly dulled tool. It's not going to remove nicks or restore a badly dulled edge. I have one, and I use it, and I like the convenience of it...but I haven't thrown away any of my files. What I would never do is take any of my Fiskars tools to my grinder, like I used to do fairly routinely with older tools. Rick

fossil said:
What I would never do is take any of my Fiskars tools to my grinder, like I used to do fairly routinely with older tools. Rick

Yeah, that can mean an early death for the temper if not done perfectly. I have found that a narrow belt, bench sander with a mild grade grit to work quite well on axes and mauls. I use the area of the belt that is not backed by the steel plate. It stays cools and will produce an edge that will literally shave hair off of your arm. Its not something I would use on my fillet knives, but it will get the job done for an axe.

Status
Not open for further replies.