Home insurance rep does stove install inspection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

moresnow

Minister of Fire
Jan 13, 2015
Iowa
Thankfully it was painless. They were more interested in the general location, condition, and safety items. Ash bucket must sit on non-combustible flooring. Fire extinguisher close at hand. Smoke detectors in each level. CO detector up and running. Sad news was that they no longer allow stoves in a garage. Shops are allowed however. I showed him my one stall that has never had a car in it. Used as nothing but a shop for 25 years. Sounds like I may get it through as a shop! It was a interesting visit. Sounds like he sees many improper setups.

moresnow,

I wish that is the way they did it around here. My insurance company wants a install certificate from a certified installer. Problem is they can't tell me what certified means. We finally ended up having a contractor friend come over and look at our install and then he contacted the insurance and said it all looked good. I fall between the cracks of the county and small city locality for inspections which often makes things simpler but not in this case. Took me almost 6 months to satisfy the insurance company as the county/city did/does not inspect this, if you do it yourself.

Glad it worked out well for you.

huauqui

Interesting. Appears as if the county/city could care less here. Just the ins. folks. Of coarse.

Just the ins. folks. Of coarse.
Well they are the only ones other than the homeowner who stands to loose anything. So yes of course they care. In our area we typically dont need inspections either but there are some insurance companies including mine who do require inspections. We do quite a few every year. The funny thing is that my own insurance company paid me to inspect the installation I did in my own house. I called them to tell them I had installed a wood stove hung up with them and about 20 mins later got a call from them on the same number that they needed me to do an inspection on my house

Well they are the only ones other than the homeowner who stands to loose anything. So yes of course they care. In our area we typically dont need inspections either but there are some insurance companies including mine who do require inspections. We do quite a few every year. The funny thing is that my own insurance company paid me to inspect the installation I did in my own house. I called them to tell them I had installed a wood stove hung up with them and about 20 mins later got a call from them on the same number that they needed me to do an inspection on my house

bholler, that is both funny and also cool that the insurance company called you to inspect your own install.

Reactions: SlyFerret
I only had to submit my drawings with measurements, a copy of the installation clearance specifications, and proof of the county's inspection. Don't think my agent wanted to drive an hour out to my place.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Reactions: huauqui
I only had to submit my drawings with measurements, a copy of the installation clearance specifications, and proof of the county's inspection.
Yes but many counties don't do inspections which is where inspections by private companies or by the agents them selves come in. Other companies don't ask any questions at all

I pulled a permit when I put the new chimney in. The county came and inspected clearances and only asked where my screws connecting the ssingle wall were. I pointed to the box of self tappers sitting on the stove and explained I didn't know what he wanted to look at so I hadn't put them in yet. He was satisfied and signed off.

The hardest part of the whole process was finding the office to pull the permit.

bholler, that is both funny and also cool that the insurance company called you to inspect your own install.

Nobody thought there might be a conflict of interest issue there? ;)

Nobody thought there might be a conflict of interest issue there? ;)

It sounds like a case in which the left hand was not talking to the right hand. Very common.

So, if you failed yourself, would they have paid you to inspect again? Could you challenge the inspector?

Reactions: Ashful
I live out in the country in North Carolina. There is no inspection here, from the building inspector, nor the fire marshall, nor the insurance company.
Which, in a way, I like, freedom and all that.
On the other hand, my neighbor moved up here, a know-it-all Yankee. Had never installed a wood stove or even used a wood stove.
So I bought a book for him off of Amazon, all about wood stoves, and it had 2 chapters on specs and regs of how to install a wood stove. Very good drawings and photos of a proper wood stove install.
So, Frank installed his wood stove and two weeks later, the second time he lit it, he went off to work and his house burned down. I saw the fire marshall's report it said "Fire due to improper wood stove install."
He got a check for $160K. So all the other people in his insurance company got to pay for his screw up.

A few weeks later I asked Frank "Did you ever get the chance to read that book I gave you."
He said "No, and it burned up in the fire."

Reactions: Ashful
My insurance company only needed a copy of the manual and a photo of the installed stove. County inspections can be a joke depending on the inspector, it's really more of a money grab in many locales.

I am an Agent for a large US company in the northeast. If our clients burn wood, all we require is a annual cleaning by a certified sweep.

Shifts the liability from your homeowner's policy to your commercial policy?

Where in Iowa and what company? I'm in NW Iowa and own an independent agency - so I'm curious.

Waverly. Black Hawk Mutual. Associated with Grinnell Mut. I am thinking? I use a independent as well. Best move I ever made for insurance. After the nightmare of Farm Bureau. I better not elaborate::-)

Reactions: WoodyIsGoody
Waverly. Black Hawk Mutual. Associated with Grinnell Mut. I am thinking? I use a independent as well. Best move I ever made for insurance. After the nightmare of Farm Bureau. I better not elaborate::-)

Correct, County mutuals are usually about the cheap as you can get. And they inspect everything they write. Grinnel Mutual does the re-insurance and the liability, the county does the property.

Independent agents have alot of benefits for the consumer/insured. Most direct writing companies are horrible. State Farm, Farm Bureau, etc. They deny claims so they can pay for advertising.