Home Made Fire Starters.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
like this idea..but i dont have a press...any other ways to press it?

I just came across this thread. Jags, that is how I started back in 1978. I was on the concrete floor though, using it to cool them faster. It would be fun to have a firestarter burn off competition. We all send the samples to whoever, they divide them up by equal weight so all will have the same chance. Start the clock and add the match. The one that starts the fastest,burns the cleanest and longest should be recognized.

Happy New year to you all!

Winner gets free advertising on Hearth.com for a month.

Thomas

just for something different i used a pinecone this morning. worked fine. I guess you could dip them in wax if you wanted to.

NW Fuels said:
I just came across this thread. Jags, that is how I started back in 1978. I was on the concrete floor though, using it to cool them faster. It would be fun to have a firestarter burn off competition. We all send the samples to whoever, they divide them up by equal weight so all will have the same chance. Start the clock and add the match. The one that starts the fastest,burns the cleanest and longest should be recognized.

Thomas

DING DING DING

In the red corner, weighing in at precisely 2.5 oz, hailing from NW Fuels, it is "Super Cedar"....

In the blue corner, weighing in at precisely 2.5 oz, hailing from Jags' machine shop, it is < insert trademark here >

This fight is scheduled for 1 round, and will only be ended by way of burn-out....

lukem said:
NW Fuels said:

Thomas

DING DING DING

In the red corner, weighing in at precisely 2.5 oz, hailing from NW Fuels, it is "Super Cedar"....

In the blue corner, weighing in at precisely 2.5 oz, hailing from Jags' machine shop, it is < insert trademark here >

This fight is scheduled for 1 round, and will only be ended by way of burn-out....

Very funny! Looks like we have the ref. and announcer. We need the odds makers to set the line.
Thomas

NW Fuels said:

Thomas

Should they also be floating on water when lit?

steeltowninwv said:

You got a 5 ton splitter don't ya?? ;-)

Haha - Thomas, I am sure you have a much more refined process and product than I do. You are surely the pro in this match up.
(but I would have had a 4 way die to score the puck by now. :coolgrin: )

These are simply making use of a couple of waste products to produce something that helps me in my quest of burning cord wood to heat my home. I will send you a free sample if you want to test my product. :lol:

Jags said:
steeltowninwv said:

You got a 5 ton splitter don't ya?? ;-)

Haha - Thomas, I am sure you have a much more refined process and product than I do. You are surely the pro in this match up.
(but I would have had a 4 way die to score the puck by now. :coolgrin: )

These are simply making use of a couple of waste products to produce something that helps me in my quest of burning cord wood to heat my home. I will send you a free sample if you want to test my product. :lol:

Jags,
Your first attempt is way beyond my first. I was pressing by hand.
When I started we were only making 30 per hour, and we were cooling them on concrete.
We have the 4 way score but it is very light.
Making the 4 way die is easy, I have them all over this place and made of every material known to man. My problem is the tops come off when the press comes up. The material sticks in the cross hairs. I have heated,cooled wiped and swiped and it still sticks. It gets better if I use more paraffin, but that adds weight(shipping?) and tends to make them a bit harder to start.

I like how clean yours look. Maybe you could use a name like friendly fire or spot fires.

Thomas, we have some that are scored and some that are not. The scored are great for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.