Wax fire starters and catalyst

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SD Golden

Aug 1, 2018
South Dakota
I finally pulled the trigger on a Blaze King Sirocco 30, should be here next weekend. I have made and used homemade fire starters consisting of egg carton bottom, saw dust, and candle wax for camp fires for years and was wondering about using them in my new stove. Would burning the candle wax cause any negative effects on the catalyst on the Blaze King?

It might. Depends on the additives in the wax. If all the wax and egg crate are burned away in bypass mode before you engage the catalyst it is likely OK, but we are still at "it might."

I use those too for camping, a great use of dryer lint too if you are running low on sawdust.

I am confident the "SuperCedar" brand fire starters are OK to use.

The main thing about stove catalysts is natural stuff like moss on three bark and dead bugs is fine to burn, won't hurt the catalyst. When you get into man made things - plywood glue, paint, pressure treated lumber, now we are in the bad stuff. For candle wax, it depends on what is in the wax.

IIRC there is also a thing n the manual about not burning oil, i think it is EPA guidance for all wood stoves. Technically oils, waxes and fats are all lipids with a glycerol molecule in common...

Anyway, I save mine for camping and hunting and fishing seasons and use kindling made out of wood in my catalyst equipped stove.

Even in bypass, our bk cats are still exposed to the smoke.

My gut feeling was not to use the wax, just thought I'd see what experienced users thought. What about using creosote buster (or similar) products?

If starting a fire on a cold stove where you would use a fire starter it seems the wax should be gone before you take it out of bypass. It seems you could contaminate your cat more with a reload on a hot stove with wood that has bar oil on it. Keep in mind I have not used a blaze king yet but hoping by this weekend the ashford will be in!

Just purchased 100 Super Ceder fire starters... good for 400 starts.

There is a 40% off coupon code somewhere.

I got it because my new stove also has a CAT and will be installed at the end of the month.

The firestarters will likely not hurt your cat if you are only using them on startup. Your stove should come with one firestarter from Blaze King in the pack with the manual and warranty card. They are generally cheap and depending on what your time is worth, they are likely cheaper than the time and effort it takes to make them .

As for creosote detroying logs...please no. Just good dry cordwood or the occasional compressed wood log with no additives. Any creosote accumulation can be taken care of with a good old fashion sweep and cleaning .

I’ve been using candle wax/cooking grease/sawdust in egg carton squares as fire starters for a few seasons now without issue. Typical candle wax is paraffin or soy based. It should not contain metals which can poison the cat. I would imagine super cedars also use either paraffin or soy. I’ve used them as well.

If starting a fire on a cold stove where you would use a fire starter it seems the wax should be gone before you take it out of bypass. It seems you could contaminate your cat more with a reload on a hot stove with wood that has bar oil on it. Keep in mind I have not used a blaze king yet but hoping by this weekend the ashford will be in!
I don’t own a Bk but I believe the cat is located at the top of the stove exposing it to all the smoke. Even in bypass mode. So in theroy what ever you put in your stove, the cat will be exposed to.

Reactions: lsucet and Highbeam
I don’t own a Bk but I believe the cat is located at the top of the stove exposing it to all the smoke. Even in bypass mode. So in theroy what ever you put in your stove, the cat will be exposed to.

Yes, the bk system does not isolate the cat during bypass. It just opens a second pathway to the flue. Other brands are designed to remove the cat from the stream but the bk design is very durable.

Propane torch really makes me wonder why people bother with fire starters.

Yes, the bk system does not isolate the cat during bypass. It just opens a second pathway to the flue. Other brands are designed to remove the cat from the stream but the bk design is very durable.

Yeah my VC has the cat tucked away. The only time I really use fatwood is when I steal it from my parents. They buy the big 30 pound box so I just pocket a few here and there. Otherwise I just use a match and the scraps on the garage floor from splitting.

The firestarters will likely not hurt your cat if you are only using them on startup. Your stove should come with one firestarter from Blaze King in the pack with the manual and warranty card. They are generally cheap and depending on what your time is worth, they are likely cheaper than the time and effort it takes to make them .

As for creosote detroying logs...please no. Just good dry cordwood or the occasional compressed wood log with no additives. Any creosote accumulation can be taken care of with a good old fashion sweep and cleaning .
The free firestarter in the BK stove is a Super Cedar and approved for use with cats.
Thomas

Do you use the torch to ignite kindling or directly on the splits?

Do you use the torch to ignite kindling or directly on the splits?

I use 6 pieces of log cabin stacked, double thumb size, kindling on the bottom and then stack full sized splits above that. I usually try to set a couple of relatively small splits on the kindling. First a few seconds of torch right up the flue and then aim the torch at the kindling.

Propane is very cheap in this quantity so I let the torch really go longer than necessary on the kindling in an effort to shorten the time to cat engagement.

Same thing on the noncat. In fact, I’m thinking of buying a second torch head so that I don’t have to keep dragging it back and forth from the shop.

Hmmm that's an interesting method. I'm guessing the torch it gets it going quick compared to the cedars.
With my absent mind I'd be afraid I'd accidentally leave the torch too close to the stove .

Hmmm that's an interesting method. I'm guessing the torch it gets it going quick compared to the cedars.
With my absent mind I'd be afraid I'd accidentally leave the torch too close to the stove .

The torch lives right next to the stove. You hold onto it while using it so you can’t hardly forget and when you release the trigger it shuts off.

Kinda like a lighter in your pocket if you’re a smoker.