Homemade Air Intake ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hiskid

Sep 26, 2017
PA
Anyone mod a regular 3 or 4 inch wall thimble to add a fresh air intake ? Being handy and having various metal cutting tools I can't picture spending over $100 for the 3vp-wti. I'd rather not cut two holes in the board or siding. Just wondered if a regular thimble has the space to fabricate my own. The castle serenity I was interested in sold out at TSC. So I figured as I'm dry-walling the porch I'll include the thimble project in it.

Thanks. GBY

I think you are asking if you can modify an existing thimble to also take in fresh air? If so, it would probably void any manufacturer warranty for the thimble and get you in trouble with the insurance company should anything bad happen. Don't do it.

Different manufacturers sell thimbles with air intake capabilities, so you don't have to drill another hole in the wall. I think ICC Excel Pellet has one, and others too.