Homemade Stove Test - Scary...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vanhoesenj

Hearth Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
So I saw this post on craigs list: http://burlington.craigslist.org/tls/276562941.html

And then followed the link to this movie: http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/fabricator01/?action=view&current=MOV00771.flv

SO, in case you just want to watch the movie and not read through all the story, the craigslist guy is selling plans for a homemade shop heater and the movie shows some other 'genius' testing it in his garage without the rest of the stove attached. I'm just thinking if it was me (and it definitely isn't me). that I'd test her outside... OR maybe wait until it was all together... but that's just me. :)

Enjoy

John

Must be burning that Osage Orange everybody talks about.

Doesn't he realize how much heat is above that flame? Lucky he didn't catch his ceiling on fire. What a dope!

Hmm. I havn't had the chance to burn hedge yet....saw some at the dump one day but couldn't get to it. too much brush inthe way. But today and yesterday I've been burning a very dense stringy wood that I am not quite sure is elm. It fits the discription of elm. Was a stringy BI#$Q@# to split but it's been drying, split and stacked for 2 or 3 years and it's still much heavier than oak. Bark is currogated bark but sort of a smoother currogated than oak. It burns nice and hot and makes very dense hot long lasting coals. Long burning stuff. Any ideas? A variety of hickory maybe?

Sounds more like hickory than the elm I've seen, which is lighter than oak when dry.

hickory is lighter than oak?

No, elm is lighter than oak, which is why I think hickory better fits the description. White oak or I think live oak are close to hickory though.

DavidV said:
Hmm. I havn't had the chance to burn hedge yet....saw some at the dump one day but couldn't get to it. too much brush inthe way. But today and yesterday I've been burning a very dense stringy wood that I am not quite sure is elm. It fits the discription of elm. Was a stringy BI#$Q@# to split but it's been drying, split and stacked for 2 or 3 years and it's still much heavier than oak. Bark is currogated bark but sort of a smoother currogated than oak. It burns nice and hot and makes very dense hot long lasting coals. Long burning stuff. Any ideas? A variety of hickory maybe?

What does the grain look like?

Ash has the fine ridges and furrows and can be quite stringy, and similar grain to oak. However the shagbark and shellbark hickory have that curling platy bark that is really distinctive. The other hickories like red, pignut, mockernut and bitternut have that slightly ridged and narrow furrows. So it could be one of those. The wood is not as coarsely grained as oak so that would be a clue.

Maybe persimmon, it is one of the densest n. american hardwoods. Has the type of bark you describe.

Would need to see a picture of a fresh split to tell for sure.

J.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.