Honestly, do I have too much wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davidmsem

Minister of Fire
Oct 30, 2014
New haven, Connecticut
14518762737790.jpg 14518763040592.jpg 14518762937751.jpg
So I'm one year into burning and estimate I will burn 3 to 4 chord per year. I think I have about 12 to 14 cords on hand and just scored a whole bunch of oak from a friend for free probably another five cords already here on hand, maybe two or three more cords are available for me. I intend to store the wood on the pallets as you see but uncovered . How long will this wood last until it is no longer useful fuel?

Attachments

• 14518763255273.jpg
    14518763255273.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 299
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Pennsyltucky Chris
Not too long, Ill help a brother out and swing by and clean some of that mess up for you.

Just kidding, I would top cover and it'll last a long time.

Not too long, Ill help a brother out and swing by and clean some of that mess up for you.

Just kidding, I would top cover and it'll last a long time.

Lol. Any thoughts about how much of a difference it makes without top covering?

We progressively cover... The closer the burning year, the sooner the cover goes on. If wood looks at risk of degrading, it gets burned sooner than others. Great entertainment sorting and assessing. Kinda like keeping an eye on the wine cellar.
I don't believe in too much wood here in MN.

Firewood is like money, there is no such thing as "too much". Top cover for sure to help prevent deterioration of your wood. I happen to believe that it does dry faster in my experience if it also gets plenty of sun and wind, which doesn't look like it will be a problem for you.

Reactions: fespo
No, that is not too much wood. The only time it is in danger of starting to go bad is when it turns completely black. I have 5 or 6 years worth and none of it is even close to that. As long as it is off the ground it lasts a long time.

I would never think to cover my long term storage wood. I have always thought that surface moisture is not much of a problem. It runs off and dries up quickly. I only cover this years wood to keep off the snow.

No, that is not too much wood. The only time it is in danger of starting to go bad is when it turns completely black. I have 5 or 6 years worth and none of it is even close to that. As long as it is off the ground it lasts a long time.

I would never think to cover my long term storage wood. I have always thought that surface moisture is not much of a problem. It runs off and dries up quickly. I only cover this years wood to keep off the snow.
Thank you. The shed, in the back of the pictures, holds four cords. I moved this years wood into there as well as one cord up on the deck covered.

I've heard so much about burning oak that I just could not pass it up.

Nah.....not too much at all;)

Reactions: davidmsem
Never can have too much- life happens if you get my drift- fly in the ointment, is local authorities and other less than intelligent,homo-sapiens and their funky ideas of what is or isn't.

With the winter we've had so far, a lot of people will have a jump on next year. Btw, I've had seven and eight year old wood that burned just fine, just as long as i kept it off the ground.

Any thoughts about how much of a difference it makes without top covering?
It's hard to argue that top covering isn't better than not. But not counting wood in my woodshed, I only have some of my wood covered. If you expect to get a lot of leaf litter and other moisture holding junk in or between your piles I would make top covering a priority. Single rows out in the open are less susceptible to problems IMO.

If he wants to get rid of more oak hit me up I'm close to you

How far are you from the Smilow Center.....I have an appointment next Monday if you need to lighten your load

How far are you from the Smilow Center.....I have an appointment next Monday if you need to lighten your load
That is a great center....my friend works there...hope you are well....

Reactions: Beer Belly
I think I would try to get those pallets up off the ground before you pile on them. A couple of years with wood on them & they might be rotting into the ground, with the rot spreading upwards into your wood. And leaving a mess of nail filled rotten scraps to clean up. If I don't have anything else nearby (say scraps of pressure treated or some concrete blocks), I'd just throw some splits under each corner, maybe couple in the middle too. A few inches of air underneath the pile works wonders - maybe even moreso than top covering. The few splits on the ground can be worked into the burn if you swap them out when you unstack & before you restack.

Even better yet - see if you can find some used plastic pallets. You could either put those right on the ground & pile right on - or put them on the ground, put a wood pallet on it, then pile. That's what I've been doing lately. I found a bunch for $3 each. The higher up the better.

If you think you have too much, offer some up to someone that is in need of it. Find someone elderly or disabled that can no longer c/s/s or a family that can't afford to buy firewood. Ask someone in church if they know of anyone. Or ask the local boy scout troop if they could use some for campfires.

I agree with BigCountryNY can never have to much firewood. Never know what the next year might bring. Keep it off the ground and with adequate air flow it will last. Just keep an eye on it and the stuff that looks like it's not looking as good as the other stuff burn it first. You can always go through and pick out the wood turning faster than the rest. With that much try top covering some and other stuff leave out and see what works better. I have never top covered any of my wood but I never have had more than two to three years worth ahead let us know what works.

Seems like you are in a good position to start dialing back the scrounging for now, being that you are now ahead. Very nice yard, with or without the wood.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Too much wood is in the eye of the beholder, space, usage, shed capacity, oil price, time...

Not too much at all. Just make sure you keep it off the ground and top covered if possible.

I most of my seasoning wood in single stacks, in the sun, totally uncovered for between one and two years. I then move them to carports that have completely open sides. If you do something like this you will be just fine for many many years of wood storage.

View attachment 170928 View attachment 170924 View attachment 170927 So I'm one year into burning and estimate I will burn 3 to 4 chord per year. I think I have about 12 to 14 cords on hand and just scored a whole bunch of oak from a friend for free probably another five cords already here on hand, maybe two or three more cords are available for me. I intend to store the wood on the pallets as you see but uncovered . How long will this wood last until it is no longer useful fuel?
Not too much. Firewood is like ammo and money....never can have "too much". And as long as it's dry, it will burn. 100 year old wood houses burn real good. Ask any fire department. Fortunately, dry firewood doesn't have an expiration date.

Last edited:
Imagine being far enough ahead you could take a year off.

I like to have at least this year's wood that is going to be burned covered and kept dry.

Nothing like throwing a soaking wet frozen load of splits into the stove and watching them sizzle and ooze out rain water for 20 minutes not making fire.

I could get around it by maintaining a laddered supply of several days worth of wood in the house where it could dry out, but I don't want several days worth of wood in the house drying out.

You can never have too much wood. Always have extra on hand. You never know you might have one season where is hard to get wood anywhere then you can sell Acordar to hear in there to make up the big difference in your cost or even make a profit. I cover all my wood with old tractor to cut in half the rubber is heavy enough so you don't have to wait it down and the wind won't blow it away and it's black and is black so it's hotter in the summer to dry out your wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.