Hooking up Hearthstone soap stone stove to Heatilator (EL36 or EL 42) wood fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom From Jersey

May 2, 2008
Northern New Jersey
Hi folks -- greate site

I had a Defiant in the 1980's and in the 90's moved to another home and bought a H-3, a beauty of a soapstone stove from Hearthstone in Vermont. 3 years ago, we moved to a condo, I brought the Hearthstone with me, and I have been looking at it sitting uninstalled (it's still better than most TV) all this tme.

I will soon move to a new townhouse that comes with a Heatilator wood burning fireplace. It has a metal chimney of about 20 feet before it exits the roof. The chimney needs 2 inch clearance and is surrounded by a wood frame all the way up. I persuaded the builder to insulate on the most exterior wall to keep the chimney warm, rather than the wall between the chimney and living space.

I will have a hearth built soon. I very much trust the voices of experience in wood burning.

My question is this: Does anyone have any advice for me before I install this Hearthstone to the Heatilator fireplace?

Putting freestanding into pre-fabs are tough. Most of the time they dont fit in the fireplace so you have to build quite a large hearth for the stove to sit on. Also, you have to line the chimney with stainless.

Status
Not open for further replies.