Horizontal Flue / Outside Chimney in Minnesota

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

koselig

Sep 3, 2019
Two Harbors, MN
We are updating our wood burner as part of a renovation project. The unit will be an RSF Opel 2C (with the cat).

The unit will be directly adjacent to a wall (West if it matters). The dealer has told me it would be a terrible idea to run out horizontally, then up with Class A chimney outside without a chase.

However, that's what we'd like to do. Is this really such a bad idea as long as we clean it at least each season? It would make for a much cleaner installation than going straight up through the roof.

thanks all!
Patrick

I can't think of any fireplace that allows a 90º turn in the flue path. For the Opel the maximum offset is 45º. A 90º turn is not permitted. For this reason, there aren't any class A 90º elbows. What you propose might require 2 90º turns. Smoke slows down making a 90º turn. In a fireplace this could lead to smoke spillage or draft reversal. Besides slowing down the smoke flow and reducing draft it cools down, which is not something one wants with a cat stove because the flue temp is already running a bit cooler. Although you think you can work with a quirky install like this, the installer has to think about the next owner of the house too. This is an opportunity for neglect and problems in the future.

OK, so that said, Excel does make a system for a 30º & 45º exit through a wall, though the 45º is only allowed in Canada. I am not in favor of this type of install because of the greater risk of water leakage as water travels along the pipe. The Excel angled wall shield is part# is EWRSI30

Last edited:
Without any out and up specs in the manual local codes may not even permit it.

I should have qualified - 30/45deg work too.
But for Minnesota you guys are thinking it’s a no-go anyway?

For what it’s worth we are in unincorporated territory where there is no building inspector. But obviously I’m not interested in doing anything dangerous or unsupported for the fireplace unit.

If the pipe is inside, my wife is pushing hard for adding a chase to hide it, but to me this seems like an inconvenience for maintenance and cleaning long-term. Not to mention using precious budget on something that serves only vanity. That is why I was hoping to just run the chimney outside.

Keeping the chimney pipe straight up and inside will have more benefits like better draft, less cleaning and less likelihood of leakage. Also note that installing offset elbows and thru wall shielding will add quite a bit to the cost of the chimney instead of going straight up ($8-1000?). That additional expense will offset some if not all of the cost of a chase which can be simple and quick to put up with just a drywall skin. Normally the chimney pipe in the chase is not a service item during the life of the system.