Horizontal Vent Cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnxtreme

Jan 22, 2007
Has anyone had better luck with one cap over the other, The Simpson Square Vent Cap 33085 looks like a dryer vent, tucks against the house nice , but wonder if it too close an causes soot, Selkirk has a few some look like just a pipe with screen? another has a cone over the pipe, another one looks like the flying nuns hat ? Can't find much info on wether one is better than the other, anyone ?

c01f336e5bddf86e8d00c78fcf136552.jpg

Here's mine.

No, I run it just like that.

Not really what I'd call a mesh.

b009e7c01f1aa20775b731945e413bbe.jpg

Last edited:
See my edited post.

We have 3 stoves here, and all of them have different direct vent caps.
The Quad has a gizmo that looks like a dryer vent, but the pipe is off the ground quite a ways and sticks out from the house about 2 feet.

The big Whit has one of the screened 45 angled units and the little whit has a regular 45 elbow and is angled away from the wind and the stairwell the pipe is near.

Lots of choices.

Make it so its not a trip or other hazard, and will not soot up the siding.

I look at safety first, then comes convenience that is moderated by whats workable and the last item is aesthetics.

Many times getting a pellet stove located in the house can be a royal pain.

Find a good spot, then you discover that there are things in the wall that will be tough to get around, like electrical wires, water pipes etc.

So you get this all worked out, only to find that your sweet spot dumps the pipe out on the deck or right where it's butt ugly and you're gonna trip over it or smack your mellon on it when you walk by.

These things can be challenge.

I spoke with my Daughter recently about the new home they want to build, and advised them to plan ahead for pellet stoves and where they will vent.

Our place is a manufactured home on a full daylight basement, and this shack has a buttload of windows.

Making three stoves fit required a lot of creativity in pipe location.

Good luck

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.