Hot water plumbing option?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

VaderSpade

Feb 23, 2023
california
I have had what I now know to be a Grandma III stored in my shop for over 20 years. I have learned a lot here but I have yet to find anything on the hot water plumbing option which mine has.

DSCN9060.JPG

It was not an option. Someone added it.

It has the optional Furniture Style Legs.

It was not an option. Someone added it.

It has the optional Furniture Style Legs.
I'll get it out of the corner and take pictures. It looks factory.
My cousins had a franchise in Central Valley, CA. And l remember they offered a hot water option. This is not one of theirs.
Maybe some franchises offered this???
Has anyone seen another Fisher with hot water?

Of all the modified stoves, CA is by far the place to find them.

This Series III would have a rear shield with UL Label attached. It would lose the UL approval if modified in any way. Manuals become part of the Listing, and there were no applications or illustration changes adding hydronic heating to the UL Listing.

There were 5 licensed fabricators in California;

The licensee from Center Valley was “Fisher Stoves of Redding”, Cabello and Shasta Dam Blvd. Central Valley, CA 96019.

By the time this stove was made, the stoves were not only sold directly by the fabricator, third party dealers became involved. There were many add on hydronic accessories such as the Hott Rod and add on coils. Most stoves in the UK are fitted with back boilers, but none were made by Fisher. Adding hot water requires an expansion tank, and relief valve on a closed system. There is no Fisher brochures, manuals, or literature with these warnings for adding hydronic systems.

Reactions: VaderSpade
Yes, that was my uncle and cousin's shop. Chuck and Richard Loyd, I'm sure Ray and Rod also helped. I remember them getting (small) truckloads of parts to weld together. Where can this information be found?

Here's the UL label. 11/13/80
Not from my cousin's shop.

DSCN9088.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Your stove was made in Kansas.

Looks like a commercially made hydronic add on. Could be sold by stove dealer, or added by customer.

I didn't want to mention Ray Bruce's name in case you were related. He was another fabricator in CA that made a Fisher copy with an oven that was one of the few licensees betraying the Fishers that went on to call his stove the Buffalo. You're off the hook, Lol.

What kind of information are you looking for? How to safely connect a circulating water system?

Just general information.

I'm sure YouTube, or an old Mother Earth News has hookup information.

I only remember my cousins making the Mama, Papa, and Baby bears. Not sure they held on till the UL listings stoves came along? Maybe you have that information?

Their shop did all kinds of metal fabricating from mufflers, and roll cages, to custom Harley trike mods. I'm sure the couple of hot water mods I saw were customer request before the UL listings. I do remember looking at Mother Earth News magazines with hot water mods back in the day.
The shop itself was a converted mortuary.

Just general information.

I'm sure YouTube, or an old Mother Earth News has hookup information.

I only remember my cousins making the Mama, Papa, and Baby bears. Not sure they held on till the UL listings stoves came along? Maybe you have that information?

Their shop did all kinds of metal fabricating from mufflers, and roll cages, to custom Harley trike mods. I'm sure the couple of hot water mods I saw were customer request before the UL listings. I do remember looking at Mother Earth News magazines with hot water mods back in the day.
The shop itself was a converted mortuary.
Start at the sticky section at top of the Fisher Forum Home Page.

The Everything Fisher thread started this sub-forum, then the Fireplace Series Details thread was added for the history of your type.

Manuals are in the sticky section. Also use the search feature at top right using keywords for what you need. If not found, always ask! I have lots of literature, promotional items, dealer items, dealer royalty schedules, and original drawings.

Kitchen Boiler Connections has been my favorite publication for hydronic heating. You're not finding this detailed information on the net or youtube.

Reactions: VaderSpade