Hotblast HB1520

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Is this a new epa phase 2 furnace from US Stove? Im not in the market for one as I just installed a Drolet Heat Commander this past fall but I always like to learn when something new comes to market

Interesting! Given the Hot Blast reputation around here, this should make for an interesting thread.

I looked at the owner's manual, which trying to download was a free game of whack-a-mole for some reason. They are calling for 24lbs of kindling, and 40 lbs of cordwood to get it into operation. Wow! I'm sure there's a lot of days I don't even burn that much in 24 hours.

I like the "NEVER OPERATE UNATTENDED" warning. So, I should watch this thing 24 hours a day for 7-8 months straight?

I had a Clayton, which is the Neanderthal version of this, I guess. It was ok for what it was. It didn't say you couldn't operate it unattended though, but it had a safety feature in that if you didn't attend it regularly, it burned up all the wood and the fire went out!

Anything by USSC, especially a furnace, is always going to be bottom of the barrel quality and user friendlyness. This ought to be interesting to see what kind of issues people have with them as they scoop them up from the farm and box stores "for a good deal" unawares

Anything by USSC, especially a furnace, is always going to be bottom of the barrel quality and user friendlyness. This ought to be interesting to see what kind of issues people have with them as they scoop them up from the farm and box stores "for a good deal" unawares
Sweet- The public get's to do field testing again like multiple other 1st generation EPA furnace models.

Reactions: travis8352
That doesn't look like the same unit...no window, and doesn't say anything about being EPA approved, like the one OP linked...not sure how they can sell it?! @lampmfg ?
The Ford Pinto of furnaces???
Wow, rough crowd! ;lol
I had one, it wasn't that bad!
Of course I did weld up a trailer hitch for it and had a piece of 3"x3"x 3/8" angle bolted to the back...little gas tank explosion prevention too! I did get rear ended one time....scuffed the paint on my hitch, put a big dent in his front bumper! ;lol

That doesn't look like the same unit...no window, and doesn't say anything about being EPA approved, like the one OP linked...not sure how they can sell it?! @lampmfg ?

Wow, rough crowd! ;lol
Of course I did weld up a trailer hitch for it and had a piece of 3"x3"x 3/8" angle bolted to the back...little gas tank explosion prevention too! I did get rear ended one time....scuffed the paint on my hitch, put a big dent in his front bumper! ;lol
It is on tractor supplies website to

Wow, rough crowd! ;lol
If you download the manual it looks like the correct one. Looks like Menards used some incorrect images.

Sweet- The public get's to do field testing again like multiple other 1st generation EPA furnace models.

yup! The list of field testing done at the consumer level is all encompassing of the entire EPA "approved" wood furnace market, minus one named the Vapor Fire.

Hey, can't be too bad, #1 best selling truck 46 consecutive years!
Kinda, sort of, but not really. ;lol

Way to go woodey.....sent this thread on a super tangent. ;lol

GM has been the top seller of trucks for quite awhile. I'm not a brand fanboi either. My last six daily drivers have been all different manufactures dating back to the early 90's. ==c

Sales numbers don't lie, only the people manipulating them for marketing purposes do.

1680269513174.png

1680269491123.png

Kinda, sort of, but not really. ;lol

Way to go woodey.....sent this thread on a super tangent. ;lol

GM has been the top seller of trucks for quite awhile. I'm not a brand fanboi either. My last six daily drivers have been all different manufactures dating back to the early 90's. ==c

Sales numbers don't lie, only the people manipulating them for marketing purposes do.

View attachment 311619

View attachment 311618
Key word, "combined"

Key word, "combined"

of course, when comparing GM vs Ford. Chev/GMC are the same damn truck, just with a different placard. I guess from Ford's POV, it's not their fault GM decided to break their truck market into two. Competition drives sales though, and maybe GM wouldn't sell as many total trucks if they just had one brand within the same company. Has to be a reason they do it.

One of my good friends is a Ford fanboi....to the point he will never buy anything but (which I can not even begin to try to grasp)....so I get to play devil's advocate all the time around him. LOL I, personally, could care less, as I'll buy whatever......I just like getting him riled up when it comes to Ford's issues, which have been plentiful as of late. Nice thing about not being brand loyal, one can actually choose based on specific wants/needs/quality and not be stuck with what one brand offers. Gives one MUCH more flexibility as a consumer.

Reactions: sloeffle
All I can say is I've had 2 GMC trucks, both terrible, especially the newer of the 2, awful, serious buyers remorse.
I finally sold it to a guy that runs a junkyard, he wanted a heavier inside (in yard) tow truck...he had been using a light duty F250 (7 lug) and while it was not heavy duty enough, he said you just couldn't kill it, but after years of abuse it was finally getting close to being dead. I warned him of all the issues that I had with the 3500, he said he thought he had a mechanic that could make it work OK, but if it caused him too much trouble he'd just run it through the crusher and move on...I knew at that point I'd found the right buyer.

Back to our regularly scheduled USSC "EPA approved" bomb wood furnace discussion...

Reactions: sloeffle
All I can say is I've had 2 GMC trucks, both terrible, especially the newer of the 2, awful, serious buyers remorse.
I finally sold it to a guy that runs a junkyard, he wanted a heavier inside (in yard) tow truck...he had been using a light duty F250 (7 lug) and while it was not heavy duty enough, he said you just couldn't kill it, but after years of abuse it was finally getting close to being dead. I warned him of all the issues that I had with the 3500, he said he thought he had a mechanic that could make it work OK, but if it caused him too much trouble he'd just run it through the crusher and move on...I knew at that point I'd found the right buyer.

I don't have a horse in that race. I was just referring to sales and not any kind of perceived quality or who is "better". That's way too subjective and pointless to even discuss. I go by the mantra, "if it has teets or tires it's gonna give you trouble." ==c

Back to our regularly scheduled USSC "EPA approved" bomb wood furnace discussion...

👍

If you download the manual it looks like the correct one. Looks like Menards used some incorrect images.
I agree, they have something crossed up there.
After reading the manual, I can safely predict that @JRHAWK9 will love the startup and loading procedure on this one even more than the Heat Commander! ;lol Sounds like you need a good 2 hours to do a proper start up...which I guess is no big deal, since it says all throughout the manual that you are to "NEVER OPERATE THIS PRODUCT WHILE UNATTENDED" (that's a direct copy n paste quote too) so I guess if heating your home has gotten so expensive that it makes sense to become a full time furnace operator, this one just might be for you!
Also, I see in Hotblast (wood blast) tradition, it is forced air combustion, so it will need a full time operator to keep 'er from burning out in 2 hours (think fire tender on a steam engine)

Last edited:
I guess manufactures will state anything in their manual in order to pass, even though it's completely unrealistic in the real world.
And they have been allowed to get away with it. All while the EPA was willing to deal with us the way they did over the past 8 months. You can’t even make it up.