How’s your wood supply?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
About 3/4 of a cord so far. Half of that being some sort of hard maple, the other half just junk wood and unstackable bits and pieces used at the begining of the season. Still have 2+ cords of ash, oak and locust. Looks like I've completed the learning curve and am cruising thru this winter. Even have about 1 1/2 cords of cut hickory and locust ready for the splitter (part of next years supply). One more trip to a buddies farm to clean up some deadfalls and I'm set for next year. It sure feels good to be a year ahead for the first time.

well we must be buring fools, or at least the wife is for sure.. always cold, but this is our first year a,dn we have burned about 2 1/4 cords so far, but I just made a connection thsi morning for mixed hardwoods for $150 for the 350 dump filled as far as i can get it, so I figure i can almost get 2 cords on that, I will get that weds.. and I have 1 cord here at my place I had cut last winter and split last week and got under tarp, so I am letting that go til the end of jan or so.. and I have another 2 cords at my moms place in the mountains split that needs to be brought down to my house.. so we are gettin through with a lil buying a lil scrounging but we will make it through... my biggest problem is finding someone who really is selling "seasoned" wood, LOL i will split it in the morning for you to pick up in the after noon does not sound well seasoned to me.. I already have several cords of that..

Looks like I'm a little late to the party (we were in Alpena most of the afternoon), but we started burning pine and popple in Sept., then went to maple, and now we're into the oak big time! Seems like we went from moderate temps to "HOLY CRAP, IT"S COLD" pretty quick this year. :ahhh:
Anyway, gone through 1 & 2/3's (or 5 face :coolsmile: ) cords so far in an '85 Ashley steptop. I think I've gotten a little better handle on burning this thing this year (3rd yr.). It can get away from me VERY quickly if not paying attention, and sometimes even when I am! :p Plenty of wood, with 5 & 2/3 cord stacked in the front yard, another cord behind a shed out back that I would have to dig to get to if needed. Next yrs. wood in the field way out back.
Wall furnace in this 1200 sq. ft. ranch hasn't been on since winter '06. It needs a new blower, so not gonna' happen anyway.
Later all,
Dave

stockdoct said:
Overall, I've used 1 1/2 cords and am looking to be out of wood in mid-january. *sigh* Its clear I'll need tons more wood next spring/summer/fall, let alone preparing for years to come.

Same here in north central Vermont. My estimates were way off !! Also have to rethink the ergonomics of where I stack it, where it gets delivered, etc. The weather is crazy, one day nice and cold, the next day bitterly humid, temperature hovering about the freezing point, clothes getting wet. I'll take the cold any day.

Cheers!
Rob

PS $250 a cord (waterlogged, needs to br dried a couple of days leaning against the stove before it will burn) seems to be the going rate around here. It seems like a boutique price, as wood is working out to be more expensive than oil. What do others pay?

I dragged in the last bit of the second row from my new woodshed this evening, and just started the third row, makes it about 1.2 cords of good wood so far this year, plus a huge amount of chunks and small scraps from splitting. I've pretty much lost my chunk supply for now until spring as my chunk bins aren't covered... No problem on the supply overall though, as I have an about 6 cords in the new wood shed, 1.5 in the old one, and a little over 3 in the overflow stacks, not to mention at least a half cord that I didn't get split before the snow hit.

Gooserider

Probably about 1/2 cord so far- a mix of hardwoods, mainly Red Oak with some Cherry, White Oak, Hickory, Mimosa, Locust, Dogwood, Maple, Poplar, Sassafrass, and the odd piece of pallet wood or construction scrap (Pine). Very pleased with how little I've used so far.

I've let the oil boiler heat the downstairs zone only, for a few hours total so far, but only on the coldest days. Mostly I keep it switched off. I'm realizing my original goal of heating almost entirely with wood. I feel really good about this first full year, and I'm learning fast.

Upstairs temperatures in this ~1500 square foor Rambler can start as low as high 50's if I get in real late, and end around 80 degrees in the living room (stove room on main floor), 75 in the dining room/ kitchen, 70+/- in the 2 outlying bedrooms, after a long night's burn. It's very livable, and much nicer than 'furnace heat'. The wood stove warms you to the bone, and is hands down more satisfying than any constant 70 deg furnace regime. Downstairs (varies from 50 to 100 percent below grade), I let the unused spaces get as low as mid 50's; used spaces, with supplemental electric space heating, hover in the mid to upper 60's. That's a choice- I could make them warmer. Far more time is spent upstairs than downstairs.

It's hard work- cutting, moving, splitting, stacking. I get splinters, bruises, cuts, sprained muscles, and sore joints. But I also get quality outdoor time and exercise I really need. Is it all worth it? So far, I'd say emphatically, "yes!" It feels good to prove to myself that I can break free of oil and electric. That may be important in coming years. Six months ago, I was being quoted 5+ dollars a gallon for No. 2 fuel oil by my supplier. If money were no object, furnace heating would be a heck of a lot more convenient. Wood heating eats up a lot of my time, but it returns important benefits, both tangible and intangible. Somehow, it makes me feel 'more alive'.

I started with 5 full rows (7 x 12) and most of a 6th (5 x 12).

I just started pulling wood off the first of the 5 complete rows.

I think I'll make it through the winter. . . of 2011.

Bigg_Redd said:
I started with 5 full rows (7 x 12) and most of a 6th (5 x 12).

I just started pulling wood off the first of the 5 complete rows.

I think I'll make it through the winter. . . of 2011.
will you loan me a coulpe rows!lol

Only used 1/2 cord in my Lopi- mostly when power was out for couple of days, and a little romance.
In the OWB- haven't used very much at all- maybe 3 cord, but it's hard to say as there is so many big logs in the piles.
I got 2 tri-axels last January (many-many logs in 2 loads), thinks I am only getting one load this year.
Calculated the other day that it cost me $6.50/ Day for heat- at least 75% less that any other fuel to heat 4500 SqFt.

Here we are mid-season now, how's it looking? I'm running -way- less than anticipated use.

Status
Not open for further replies.