How am I doing? (Flue inspection)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KimiBwoah

Dec 6, 2016
Mooresville IN
3 weeks into burning as a novice and let the stove go cold today to do an inspection. Took this pic from the bottom up, things look the same from the top. Doesn't look bad to me, but would appreciate second opinions! Usually damp down hard for overnight burns and get her toasting once every day or two to try and keep things clean. Stove is an EPA-exempt Wonderluxe B2350 wood/coal. I am burning beech, black walnut, hickory and cedar.

Edit: my big question I guess is am on track for not having to clean until after the season or would this make you think you'll need a mid season sweep? I'll be inspecting again in a month

Attachments

• IMG_0370.JPG
    IMG_0370.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Check it each month for this season. What you have doesn't look all that bad. The top will always be the worst. What you have now, is close or less than what many of us have after a season of heating, so just keep an eye on it each month. If needed, let it cool, and sweep it, been there done that too. No biggie.

In Canada it's 3mm or greater of build up needs to be cleaned. Check the top, that's where it will be the worst.

The top will always be the worst.
+2 on that. On my first year, I started to get some stage 2 flaking over the cap screen (marginal wood). The top is the coolest part and creosote gasses will condense where it's cool enough to. There was nothing but a little soot on down.

Status
Not open for further replies.