How are you spending your Corona isolation time?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The issue is it looks like the Delta variant is able to infect people who are vaccinated. The symptoms are not severe but it is able to spread in vaccinated people too, so it could mutate in that segment of the population too.

And the rest of world is nowhere close to vaccinated enough to stop the spread.

I look forward to the future research that explains how this virus manages to spread so easily and why it affects some people so severely and others not.

I understood that the early numbers indicate that the vaccines do protect against the delta variant - though not to the same level (probability to get sick) as the earlier variants. The earlier variants are also (!) able to infect vaccinated people, just only with a very low probability. Nothing is absolute here, all are probabilities.

Viruses mutate so much because there are less protections in RNA copying errors (as compared to copying of genetic material in mammals). The covid virus in fact mutates slowly for an RNA virus, presumably be it has some way of qualify control (like mammals, but not nearly as good).

Reactions: vinny11950
The new wild card is the delta x gamma variant. Even though I am vaccinated I still social distance and wear an N95 mask when I have to go inside of a business or be near someone.

Reactions: vinny11950
Centuries of exposure to cold and flu viruses have not helped us develop an immunity to them because some viruses mutate constantly. Mask wearing has show another dramatic benefit. Flu hospitalizations and deaths plunged to very low levels. Sick people should not go out into public without a mask.

I disagree, sick people should not go out in public, I've always thought it incredibly selfish when people come to work sick, but on the flip side, healthy people should not wear masks. Who knows how bad mutations of the cold or flu could be if we weren't previously exposed to other varients to build of some sort of resistance.

Sick people go to work all the time, particularly when they are told they will be fired if they don't show.

I disagree, sick people should not go out in public, I've always thought it incredibly selfish when people come to work sick, but on the flip side, healthy people should not wear masks. Who knows how bad mutations of the cold or flu could be if we weren't previously exposed to other varients to build of some sort of resistance.
There are many times there is no choice but to go out in public when you are sick. And many people get covid and have either very mild or no symptoms at all. But they can still spread it.

Sick people go to work all the time, particularly when they are told they will be fired if they don't show.
Or if you are self employed and have work that needs to get done or people don't have heat.

Reactions: fbelec

Unfortunately that happens in some cases, but when at a job when people have sick days but still decide to come in with a cold it's very selfish, in either case hopefully corona will have changed that from happening going forward.

Unfortunately that happens in some cases, but when at a job when people have sick days but still decide to come in with a cold it's very selfish, in either case hopefully corona will have changed that from happening going forward.
It absolutely won't change that a bit for many. I know I will still need to work regardless.

Reactions: fbelec
It absolutely won't change that a bit for many. I know I will still need to work regardless.

I would think a lot of your customers would have a problem with you coming into their house coughing and sucking snot these days. It's their decision, not yours.

I would think a lot of your customers would have a problem with you coming into their house coughing and sucking snot these days. It's their decision, not yours.
If their chimney is clogged collapsing etc and it's cold I doubt it. I had people bitching at me for not coming when our employee tested positive and I told them we all had to quarantine.

except a day off if it made you tired like me. covid shot is a good thing. it probably started with a person who is afraid of needles and had to justify not getting the shot

Yes I was just talking about the lack of sore arm. I had severe shakes and fever over 102. And the shot was still well worth it. Flu shot has never done anything to me, no sore arm, no reaction of any kind, it’s like they didn’t do anything at all.

If you don’t get the shot and end up hospitalized with Covid, or have long lasting symptoms, you’ll probably get stuck with more needles than you can keep track of. I hate needles too so another reason the shot is a better choice.

Reactions: begreen and fbelec
I think a lot of the "asymptomatic" people are simply pre-symptomatic and the negative effects of covid simply take longer to see. At least this is how I interpret the "long haulers" sufferers experiences. I've met people with bronchitis that don't cough because they don't do anything strenuous.

And LA is now urging people to mask up again. Vaccinated and unvaccinated. The logical next step in controlling the new variant. Good luck with that.

And LA is now urging people to mask up again. Vaccinated and unvaccinated. The logical next step in controlling the new variant. Good luck with that.
We learn little from history. There are several commonalities with how people reacted to the Spanish flu and why it dragged on for 3 years. Killing many in second and third waves.