How are you spending your Corona isolation time?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Got a invite to run down there fishing in a few weeks. Not going to happen. My buddy has been there a few times and enjoyed camping and trout fishing with good success. Great times. Sounds like it would be a questionable place to be fishing right now! Supposedly elbow to elbow fishing at times. Actually guessing the fishing pressure is light if its even happening?

Well dont feel too bad....I had read a news article this morning that the governor is probably going to close state parks because people aren't honoring the 6 ft guideline. I live about five miles from bennet as a crow flies. It is great trout fishing if it isnt too crowded like you stated. It is great trout fishing in the river below Bennett though so if you ever have a chance I would recommend floating and fishing it. The trout get a chance to get much bigger and it has a lot of brown trout too.

Well dont feel too bad....I had read a news article this morning that the governor is probably going to close state parks because people aren't honoring the 6 ft guideline. I live about five miles from bennet as a crow flies. It is great trout fishing if it isnt too crowded like you stated. It is great trout fishing in the river below Bennett though so if you ever have a chance I would recommend floating and fishing it. The trout get a chance to get much bigger and it has a lot of brown trout too.

Good info. Appreciate it. What is the preferred method of floating? I've really no idea how big the water is. I am somewhat partial to a Kayak but have canoes also. I must admit I am at best a hack fly fisherman but consider my spin cast abilities with artificials adequate! How are most fishing the lower portion of the river? Thanks. Nice to chat about something positive. Even if we are side tracking here a bit!

@moresnow No problem. Honestly a kayak is the best way to float the river. It has riffles but no real swift spots that I would consider dangerous. A kayak is much easier to maneuver as well. As far as how big it is....there are eddies that are around 15 to 20 feet deep and the river on average is maybe 75 to 100 feet wide. Lol I'm no fly fisherman.....I just never had or took the time to learn how but a spin cast is all I ever used. Fall is the least crowded time. I have had good luck with rooster tails....red and white was always my favorite.....for trout. Keep in mind that the small mouth fishing is good as well. A good fake crawl dad on the bottom of river bed with slight jerking action works well for them but rooster tails work as well. I have always had my best luck for both in deepish swift water or where swift water swirls into a deep eddy. And around trees in the water or boulders. Anywhere from below Bennet spring to Barclay spring acess's are great trout fishing but there tends to be more people on that stretch of river. Lead mine conservation access to berry bluff access is my favorite......real secluded and a lot less people but it tends to be mostly smallies and goggle eye.

Last edited:
Reactions: moresnow
So far I've been busy with my making maple syrup - we have a hobby operation and will end up with close to 100 quarts of syrup this year. We tapped the trees on March 1st, so right around the time all of the craziness started. But, that season is winding down, taps were pulled on Sunday and now I just have the last two batches to make and cleanup to do.
20200315_155959_resized.jpg

Next social distancing project on my list is firewood. Got lots of logs at the wood piles that I dragged out in winter that need to be cut split and stacked. I also have my maple syrup wood rack to fill back up. I think that I won't run out of work for a while, a good thing for my sanity!
20200202_135414_resized_1.jpg

So far I've been busy with my making maple syrup - we have a hobby operation and will end up with close to 100 quarts of syrup this year. We tapped the trees on March 1st, so right around the time all of the craziness started. But, that season is winding down, taps were pulled on Sunday and now I just have the last two batches to make and cleanup to do.
View attachment 258811

Next social distancing project on my list is firewood. Got lots of logs at the wood piles that I dragged out in winter that need to be cut split and stacked. I also have my maple syrup wood rack to fill back up. I think that I won't run out of work for a while, a good thing for my sanity!
View attachment 258810
I hope to tap some trees in the not so distant future, maybe next year. 100 quarts is pretty amazing, that's a lot of time dedicated! I would be happy with even a gallon or two a year.

My job is still going as we are critical manufacturing/infrastructure but they’ve taken steps to isolate us. Lots of people in the office working from home. Splitting shifts so now I’m working 1-7 which I’m really enjoying because I never was a morning person. I can’t work from home since high speed internet hasn’t been built here yet. Worthwhile trade off for living in the sticks. Other than that little has changed for me. I just go to and from work and to the gas station. I typically avoid people all winter to avoid flu anyway. Staying warm on my quiet 9 acres where nobody bothers me. Love practicing music, surfing for odd shows on c band, reading. When it gets warmer I’ll take my summer car out and start working in the garage. Got a lot to arrange out there and got some things I need to fix on my Jeep which I’ve been putting off. Love being home it’s never boring.

NJ announced yesterday that they are opening up trout stocked streams and lakes today for catch and release only, this should help as I'm an avid trout fisherman and usually only do catch and release anyway. I have a number a sites around here that are normally empty that I go to, so I have something to look forward to doing in the next few days.

Reactions: moresnow
Updating a project I did several years ago. I created a Word document log of all the pictures I have on my computer. That way, if I am looking for a particular picture, I can just go to the document and search for a subject keyword to get the date to find it in my photo file.

Haven't update the log since July 2016.

Reactions: vinny11950
I am through 3 seasons of The Expanse.... Great sci fi show.

Also watched zerozerozero, a narco/mafia which is really well made.

Both are on Amazon prime.

Also a lot of online services are offering free trials during these times. I think CBS has one (if you want to watch Picard), and Sirius also offered free service.

just hanging around with the family. watching lots of reruns got 3 more cord of tree lenth to do. was out there with my son a few days ago. but i'm limited because i've got a shoulder replacement 1 of 2. car and truck need oil changed and a small amount of work on them. if i get a emergency call i go but otherwise not working.

I just ordered a brooder and 25 chicks. I'll have their coop finished by the time the chicks arrive and it will be ready for them to move in by the time the chicks are full size.

I just ordered a brooder and 25 chicks. I'll have their coop finished by the time the chicks arrive and it will be ready for them to move in by the time the chicks are full size.
My meat birds are due to arrive middle of next week (fingers crossed)
!00 chickens 50 for my family, 25 for the food bank and 25 for sale
When they are ready will be 10 to 12 lbs.
50 turkeys 6 for me 6 for each of my boys 12 to sell 10 cut up for the food bank
5 to the Christmas free meal (homeless) and 5 for the town churches free Christmas dinner
Been doing it for 30 years see no need to stop now
My 24 layers just came online selling last years that are still laying

My meat birds are due to arrive middle of next week (fingers crossed)
!00 chickens 50 for my family, 25 for the food bank and 25 for sale
When they are ready will be 10 to 12 lbs.
50 turkeys 6 for me 6 for each of my boys 12 to sell 10 cut up for the food bank
5 to the Christmas free meal (homeless) and 5 for the town churches free Christmas dinner
Been doing it for 30 years see no need to stop now
My 24 layers just came online selling last years that are still laying
I'm hoping to breed my own in the future, but we will see. Depending on how the chickens go, all mid sized dual purpose this time, we want to get some royal Palm turkeys.

Making plans to hold a fishing pole next week, hopefully. Ice is still a bit in the way.

Attachments

• 20200404_114706.jpg
    20200404_114706.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 148
Big day for me today. Going to change my clothes AND shave. Don't want to go all Howard Hughes because of this.
biggrin.gif
Wowzers, we had a big day here, this morning at 6:15am I saw the newspaper man, then I was on the phone with my sister and my neighbor got an oil delivery, I almost had to hang up with here cause so many things were happening in the neighborhood

Reactions: kennyp2339
I have Paperboy for our Super NES... and it is functional. Haven't played in years, so maybe I should say WAS functional. Can't say for sure now...

Reactions: SpaceBus
I have Paperboy for our Super NES... and it is functional. Haven't played in years, so maybe I should say WAS functional. Can't say for sure now...
I have a Sega Dreamcast that only works on one controller...been years for me as well since I played. Maybe it's time to get out 'Crazy Taxi.' ==c

Reactions: SpaceBus
I have a Sega Dreamcast that only works on one controller...been years for me as well since I played. Maybe it's time to get out 'Crazy Taxi.' ==c
I miss my Dreamcast, I don't remember what happened to it. Crazy Taxi, Demolition Racer, and a few others were really amazing.

the daily fires continue, although outside now
7F6487D1-C06F-4C35-8102-FF16E86081FC.jpeg

Finally got it done today, then remembered I forgot to sharpen the blades...
Looks like you could drag some wood wit dat...unless it's muddy. ==c