How can WE help cooperate Big Box get good pellets for US?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My problem with box stores is the complete lack of predictability and reliability. Two HD and one Lowes near us were out for the better part of two months, from Nov - Jan. And no idea of what brand one will get. I bought four ton of Presto from Lowes early in season, but everything they've carried since has been lower quality (or none). Dealers normally buy consistent brands, but price swings wildly. I figured out how to move things around in the shed enough to store six ton, which is an annual supply. Now I try to buy early and just not worry about the box stores and dealers. Much happier!

Not picking on you. I can see testing pellet brands a few bags at a time for sure. But folks that drive to HD every week to throw ten bags in their Prius confuse the hell out of me.
They should burn the Prius.

Reactions: SXIPro
Poughkeepsie NY Lowes had Somerset pellets awhile ago. I picked up a ton and was very happy. However, I haven't been able to get any Somersets since. I've emailed the company and called Lowes. No one at Lowes knows what they are getting or when they getting them.
Somerset doesn't even know where their product gets shipped. Damn it's annoying!
X 37!!!

I'd rather pay more for a good pellet that burns well and makes less work for me than put up with the brain-dead purchasing habits of the BB stores. My goal is to have the end of the heating season coincide with my last bag of pellets. I then go to my local hardware and place my order for next year. Get them in July or August and I'm good again. Sure I'll pick up a few test bags of stuff I'm unfamiliar with but to me I'm looking for good heat with the least amount of work at a reasonable price. I have a consulting engineering business to run. That takes up the bulk of my time. Scrambling around for pellets is not my idea of a good time. Heat is a utility. It can be fun to play with the stove and experiment with pellets but that isn't the focus of my winter.

Last edited:
They should burn the Prius.

Agree 100%. All those idiots are getting people killed causing highway pile ups by driving 45MPH on the interstate trying to see how many MPGs they can squeeze out of their hideous little matchboxes.

Agree 100%. All those idiots are getting people killed causing highway pile ups by driving 45MPH on the interstate trying to see how many MPGs they can squeeze out of their hideous little matchboxes.

I know, it's terrible, the highways are now impassible due to these cars!

Honda Accord Hybrid
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Toyota Camry Hybrid
Toyota Avalon Hybrid
Toyota Prius V
Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
Chevrolet Volt
Ford C-Max Hybrid
Toyota Prius
Chevrolet Spark EV
Nissan Leaf
Toyota Prius c
Ford Focus Electric
Ford Fusion Energi
Kia Optima Hybrid
Honda Civic Hybrid
Ford C-Max Energi
Honda CR-Z
Toyota Prius Plug-In

Driving one of these silly cars is the equivalent of burning wood pellets to save money - who would do that?

Reactions: Peterfield
^^^^^ Who would do that? I guess I am one of the mind confusing, "idiots." :confused:

I drive a Yaris hatch, and I can almost match a Prius in MPG if I drive the posted speeds (50-55mph) off the interstates. I also have the back seats down so to load bags of pellets into it at the local Ranch and Home store. I know I spend $0.25 more per bag when I buy them loose, but I can not resist tossing a few bags 100% DF premo's in with my other purchases.

I suppose I could trade the Yaris for a $40K F-350 and save by buying by the ton, plus no more traffic obstruction and resulting pile-ups. :)

The closest HD usually sells Blazers for around $4+change/bag or $190/ton. This season they went with Pres-to-Log (tier 2) pellets at a much higher price. Pass.

Rice a Roni cars... Buy domestic and support your American workers...it's a concept I guess, one that\ some people just can't wrap themselves around (until they are unemployed and scratching their arses for a paycheck....

You won't find any import crap in my driveway.

Driving one of these silly cars is the equivalent of burning wood pellets to save money - who would do that?

Your premise in inherently wrong. Burning wood pellets and/or corn is burning an renewable resourse and/or burning something that would wind up in a landfill whereasdriving an efficient car is saving the enviroment for excess carbon. I just don't want a rice-a-roni econo box.

Your premise in inherently wrong. Burning wood pellets and/or corn is burning an renewable resourse and/or burning something that would wind up in a landfill whereasdriving an efficient car is saving the enviroment for excess carbon. I just don't want a rice-a-roni econo box.

Yaris sounds like something Dr.Suess would invent or a girl I dated in HS.

Cars ARE a renewable resource. You buy. You use. You sell. Gets junked. Gets smelted. Gets made into another car. Circle of vehicle life.

Spare me the save the environment sermon please. How many methane-generators do you have? :eek: The only thing that can save the environment to the extent that the eco-disciples want is extermination of the human race to which I say "You first!":p

Last edited:
I was having some fun with this but I will say in all seriousness that I daily drive a Ford Focus hatchback that can carry 15 bags on pellets and has a 34 MPG average mileage on it since I bought it. I did the math and it was cheaper to buy this versus the payback for a hybrid car from any manufacturer, though I also only buy American cars. Others are a T-Bucket and a Shelby Mustang GT500 and a drag-race only Ford product. Some might call me a Ford man (lol), but the T-Bucket has a Chebby engine it in. :) It even has bow-tie valve covers on it to drive the loyalist types nuts. I love it. :)

I was having some fun with this but I will say in all seriousness that I daily drive a Ford Focus hatchback that can carry 15 bags on pellets and has a 34 MPG average mileage on it since I bought it. I did the math and it was cheaper to buy this versus the payback for a hybrid car from any manufacturer, though I also only buy American cars. Others are a T-Bucket and a Shelby Mustang GT500 and a drag-race only Ford product. Some might call me a ford man (lol), but the T-Bucket has a Chebby engine it in. :) It even had bow-tie valve covers on it to drive the loyalist types nuts. I love it. :)
I only ever got ten bags in my Focus.

Cars ARE a renewable resource. You buy. You use. You sell. Gets junked. Gets smelted. Gets made into another car. Circle of vehicle life.

Not exacty......Gets junked, goes to China as scrap, gets recycled through Wal-Mart... Thats the correct cycle.

I was having some fun with this but I will say in all seriousness that I daily drive a Ford Focus hatchback that can carry 15 bags on pellets and has a 34 MPG average mileage on it since I bought it. I did the math and it was cheaper to buy this versus the payback for a hybrid car from any manufacturer, though I also only buy American cars. Others are a T-Bucket and a Shelby Mustang GT500 and a drag-race only Ford product. Some might call me a Ford man (lol), but the T-Bucket has a Chebby engine it in. :) It even has bow-tie valve covers on it to drive the loyalist types nuts. I love it. :)
What's in the 'Twang?

Yaris sounds like something Dr.Suess would invent or a girl I dated in HS.

I dated hippie chicks too. In fact I married one. She liked that I preferred tiny hatchback autos and British motorcycles.

I dated hippie chicks too. In fact I married one. She liked that I preferred tiny hatchback autos and British motorcycles.
Mine is a hybrid. Ex-model, home designer, artist, interior and exterior decorator, gourmet cook, environmentalist, animal loving country gal with a few degrees to boot.

What's in the 'Twang?

TBucket: Chebby 350

The Mustang and Cougar cars have positive displacement supercharged engines, 5.4L and 5L. Only the daily driver is allowed to have a non V8 in it.

When I get caught behind a hyper-miler in my truck in the left lane, I snuggle right up to their rear bumper and put on my high beams, day or night. I then notice their repeated looks in the rear view mirror and most times they'll pull over as they know they are being a**holes trying to control the speed of every other driver. There is a hilarious YouTube video where a state trooper pulls right behind a hyper-miler in the far left lane of a four lane highway. He flips on his blues and stays right behind the car. The driver finally moves over one lane and the trooper stays right behind the car. The idiot pulls over another lane and then another and the trooper stays right behind them. When the s**thead pulls into the breakdown lane, the trooper turns off his blues and pulls back into regular traffic. Precious.

TBucket Chebby 350

The Mustang and Cougar cars have positive displacement supercharged engines, 5.4L and 5L. Only the daily driver is allowed to have a non V8 in it.
Ain't nothing like the rumble of an idling cammed-up Detroit 8!

Ain't nothing like the rumble of an idling cammed-up Detroit 8!

The drag-car Cougar has such a cam and it sounds so nice. At the track I can pull the front wheels, blows people's minds as the car is a total sleeper.

My older brother had a '69 Mustang 390 FB with a full cam that would, at idle, rock the thing so much it appeared that he was in the tiny back seat with his sweetheart having a bit of fun.

The drag-car Cougar has such a cam and it sounds so nice. At the track I can pull the front wheels, blows people's minds as the car is a total sleeper.
If I'm on it hard I can briefly yank the front wheels of my '69 Vette when I throw second. One day last summer I was behind a Roush 'Twang on a long, sweeping entrance ramp. He mashed it. I dropped it a hole and tucked in behind. I could see the surprised eyes in his rearview when we hit the six lane at 125 indicated and I was right on his rump. Throttled back. Fell on next to each other, gave a mutual thumbs up and went on our way.

Mine is a hybrid. Ex-model, home designer, artist, interior and exterior decorator, gourmet cook, environmentalist, animal loving country gal with a few degrees to boot.

Mines is filthy rich. That covers a lot of defects.;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.