How clean does it need to be for an insulated liner install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EbS-P

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2019
SE North Carolina
Hi Everyone,

I just knocked the damper assembly out. I’m getting ready to suit up and do some cleaning. How clean should it be to install and insulated flex liner for my insert? Here is where I am starting. Clay liner transitions to stainless after about three feet and looks really clean.
Thanks for you input in advance!

Evan

74C880FB-B208-4B34-94AE-1F6F7E21441C.jpeg AE703587-C795-43AD-A881-C4496BD1D1E6.jpeg

You do not want the glossy creosote in a chimney.
From your photo it looks like you could just brush and maybe vacuum the smoke shelf.
I was able to stand up and reach up the tile liner as far as I could with a wire brush an confirm there is no creosote. I would like to thank the previous owners for probably not ever burning anything in this fireplace. I’m calling it clean. Box fan on the roof successfully kept all the dust out of the house.

D1FF1370-DC38-43A3-99D5-C62C74B51DC8.jpeg

Reactions: Highbeam
What does it look like topside in the flue?