how deep is too deep? shed question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iron

Minister of Fire
Sep 23, 2015
southeast kootenays
this upcoming summer, after finishing interior remodeling projects, i plan to build some sheds for the wood storage. our yard is by no means large - suburban 1/4 lot with a goofy angled property line. therefore, i intend to place some sheds adjacent to the house exterior walls.

due to limited wall space without windows, i'd like to make the sheds somewhat deep. maybe 8ft. i'd then ideally load the wood north/south without crisscrossing the wood (all pieces would be north/south). this would effectively be 6 rows deep of wood, about 6-8ft tall and probably 20ft long.

i doubt there would be much air flow from wind. and, it's on the north side of the house, so direct sunlight will only occur for maybe 2-3 months in the dead of summer (which is the only time we get sun here anyway). i'm on the 3 year plan and am currently at 9 cords.

planning to make the back of the "shed" out of slats to allow air flow, but provide support. the two side ends would be similar. there would be a roof using asphalt shingles, shed roof style. elevated off the ground a few inches, though i may block the edges of the base of the shed to prevent visitors from making a home. slats on the floor as well (which i suppose defeats preventing those visitors).

Not sure of the too deep question however I will say both of my sheds have slat walls and my new one will be painted black (metal roof and all) to attract as much heat to it as possible. I'm not sure it will speed drying time but it sure can't hurt it.

I'm not sure there is such a thing as going "too deep" . . . as mentioned your wood sounds like it is going into the woodshed seasoned (any additional time in the woodshed will just be the proverbial icing on the cake and will keep it dry) so depth and width should not matter a whole lot.

Since you are planning on stacking it north to south (assuming you mean front to back) . . . you should be able to work a row or two worth of wood at a time and avoid the sometimes common problem of stacking wood side to side and having the previous year's left over wood -- the more seasoned wood -- always be in the back and unavailable (unless you take the time to move it to the front.)

I don't see any concerns with your plan.

wood will be going in green-ish. plan to have a total of 3 sheds, one for each season.

yes, north-south = front to back, just like stove loading.

Remember that you'll be loading back to front then unloading front to back, so greenest wood goes in first. Also I'd you want the shed so deep that you can't get air circulation at the back. Inmho - the ideal shed can be loaded and unloaded from all 4 sides. Also - I think the optimal dimensions are that of a golden rectangle.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

I would design it with "stalls" maybe 4 - 5ft sections - so as they empty you can start refilling. I built my first sheds using boards spaced apart so air could flow - then I removed a lot of the boards and used heavy chicken wire secured with staples - it really helped the air flow and is sturdy enough to hold the wood in place. I have 2 -20x12x8 sheds with a divider in the middle of each. I seem to always end up with a few rows in the back that never get burned and green wood gets stacked in front of it. No one wants to re-stack 2 cords of wood every year. Thats why I would put more dividers in. IMG_2465.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Kelster
Status
Not open for further replies.