How do I get this fixed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

meh

Jan 7, 2021
NJ
Hey All,

The other day I was out in my yard and noticed that my gas fireplace vent has melted the soffits on my overhang. Based on the picture I measured out approximately a 20" clearance. Not sure how long this has been happening for as its the first time I've seen this. I have a Majestic Pearl II Peninsula gas fireplace. Any suggestions on how I go about fixing this? Thanks in advance.

IMG_1058.jpg IMG_1059.jpg

Check the install manual...
The overhead clearance to vinyl soffiting is 30 inches,
according to the install manual.
Pic is below

1. If the siding is vinyl, you need a vinyl siding standoff.
It will bring the cap further out from the wall.
2. you can have somebody fabricate an upper heat shield for the cap,
which will direct the heat further out.
3. you need to open the air-shutter more, if you can.
That will minimize the sooting on your siding & soffit.

1610065268790.png

Last edited:
Reactions: meh
Thanks for your feedback! I really appreciate it.

1. If the siding is vinyl, you need a vinyl siding standoff.
It will bring the cap further out from the wall. - the siding is hardiplank and doesn't look like that is damaged or warped

2. you can have somebody fabricate an upper heat shield for the cap,
which will direct the heat further out. - i'll look into this

# you need to open the air-shutter more, if you can.
That will minimize the sooting on your siding & soffit. - do you mean the air shutter on the vent box? sorry, i don't know about these things so apologies for silly questions.

This is directly from your manual. See if you can make sense of it & follow the instructions. Any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. That's why I'm here...
1610119752224.png

1610119796753.png

Hi DAKSY - I spoke to a authorized dealer and they recommended replacing the damaged soffit with a non ventilated metal soffit. What do you think about that? Should I go for a fabricated heat deflector as well as a metal soffit?

This is directly from your manual. See if you can make sense of it & follow the instructions. Any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. That's why I'm here...
View attachment 271532
View attachment 271533

Your call. Will you replace the ENTIRE soffit?
no, was just planning to replace the soffit around the damaged area. Its on the side of the house so not sure i care too much for how it ends up looking.

Ok. If you don't add the heat shield, you may end up damaging the
siding directly above the cap. That's why I recommended a Vinyl Siding Shield.
If you also want to use aluminum unvented soffit, go for it.

Good point. This may be a silly question but would the heat shield act as a sort of ramp for water to flow down into the vent?

Is there a rating plate underneath the unit? Might be zip tied or held with a small chain. That should have the model number & year of manufacture.

Last edited: