How do I remove this Tee base Cap? (With Pictures)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EncoreInMass

Oct 25, 2014
Massachusetts
Hello,
I use to be a wood burner (Name) but now we're a pellet house. Ravelli RV100 Classic (LOVE IT) We're burning early this year and I wanted to DIY sweep the chimney. I already have all the gear and was set to go when I hit this speed bump. How do I get this Tee base cap off?
I can tell it use to have a flimsy riveted handle on it, and is designed to be removed but cannot for the life of me figure out HOW it's suppose to come off...
I could jamb a screwdriver against the lip and twist to get and opening...
Or I could screw some eye screws through it and twist...
It's been professionally cleaned and removed at least 3 or 4 times in the past.
Any help?
VWxvnFj.png

N3nPYSR.png

ixpFv8z.png

I would get a handle. Drill 2holes and install the handle with self-tapping screws
It also looks like it may be a turn-to-lock type of cap not just a straight pull off

Turn the bottom section 1 or 1 1/2 inches counter clockwise then wiggle and pull down. I have had to use oil filter wrench on some that have been on to long. But yours looks clean enough that you should be able to do by hand.

cap.png

Reactions: EncoreInMass
Turn the bottom section 1 or 1 1/2 inches counter clockwise then wiggle and pull down. I have had to use oil filter wrench on some that have been on to long. But yours looks clean enough that you should be able to do by hand.

View attachment 299720
Thanks. This is the info I needed. I couldn't find a breakaway representation of this Tee or an in store product disassembled to envision the removal process.