How do you carry wood from the shed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wheelbarrow to garage, then a pair of 5 Gal buckets to the stove...

Soon to be wife will feed stove, only gets snarly if wood is dropped on her elderly dogs which are semi permenently camped in front of the stove until late April!

All the best,
Mike P

I use pull on boots and will never go back to lace-up type. I can take them off with a full arm load of wood and then head for the wood box next to the stove.

http://workingperson.com/products/2...tm_source=froogle&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=3549

As long as we are at it, these are the best socks and worth every penney ($14.00)

http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/...1&productId=74116&langId;=-1&categoryId=10903

Sounds like you could lose a limb or worse if you left the seat up. I think we are married to the same woman.

I use various methods to get the wood to the door, then i transfer it to a garbage can to transport to the stove. Keeps all the mess in the can.

I also haul into the garage with the 4 wheeler and yard cart. (lol ever see one of those carts pulled behind an atv thats wide open in third gear, hilarious!) I keep a stack in the garage (about 2-3 nights worth) then when i need more inside i have a 5 gallon bucket that i bring it in with, (most of the time i just grab an arm full. (my wood is stored into a semienclosed wood shed. then transfered to a stack in the garage , then finally stacked in the house. by the time that my wood makes it indoors it has pretty much lost all of the "mess" and i also have a lil shop vac that i use to clean up around the wood stove. whatever keeps the wife happy! although they need to have some sort of consideration that ur doing all the work! Tell that woman to loosin up a bit! :)

to get the wood to the door

pACE-953034reg.jpg

and then this from to door to pile inside

Firewood_Carrier-Large.jpg

Gooserider - Already have a gas furnace. The objective is to minimize gas consumption. Rebooting is not really too bad. I don't lace them up tight so can kick them off without putting down the sling full of wood. Those booties do sound interesting but with my size 12's they would be like snowshoes in the house.

Bubbavh - Motorized power is not permitted. SWMBO declared that the tractor not be operated in winter to increase longevity. Would sure love to use it all winter to plow snow as well as haul. I have one of those poly carts too. It collects dust all winter. Upgrading from wife 1.0 to wife 2.0 is never that clean and always has cost implications.

Bugboy - I've had a FEL on my Christmas wish list all my life but Santa has yet to deliver one. See also no motorized rule above.

zzr7ky - my stove takes 20 inch splits and 5 gal buckets aren't deep enough nor big enough to work well. I use 5 gal buckets for my kin'lin.

FireWalker - I loose tie my boots and can slip out of them without using hands. Hands required for rebooting though. I go out behind the woodshed so no toilet seat involved.

matt701 - I really really REALLY tried to get a back door in the hearth room. That would have made too much sense. I would have rolled out a carpet runner to walk on and rolled it up when done. Wrigley has it pegged.

Rick - hard plastic wheels on my soft pine floors would never meet SWMBO approval. I was thinking of getting a foldable dolly and rigging it up to hold the sling, thus containing the dirt and making navigating the maze easier.
0600522_450_CC_v1_m56577569830829719.jpg

sly22guy - no attached garage. In fact no garage at all. You tell her.

Attachments

• 100_0170 (Medium).JPG
    100_0170 (Medium).JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 395
Nice system Stevebass! OK as a woman I gotta say that I do understand how she feels but we all have to give a little from time to time. This sounds a little primitive but what I have hubby do is......He gets his wheelbarrow out and goes to the wood rack while I OPEN the window that is in the same room that our stove is in. I place a large piece of heavy clear plastic (purchased from a big roll in the materal department at Walmarts) hanging out the window and extending into the room on the floor to catch the mess. He brings his wheel barrow full of splits to the window and tosses them in on the thick plastic. From inside, I start stacking each split in our rack that stays close to the wood burner. When it's full,, I yell STOP and he pulls the plastic outside and shakes it out, folds it and hands it back to me to place under the wood rack till next refill. lol We usually don't have much mess at all with our system. No dirty boots, no rolling wheels or anything! lol

Stevebass4 - I have one of those 4 wheel mesh carts and even have a liner for it but it doesn't hold nearly as much as my contractor wheelbarrow stacked to the hilt. I also have a larger 2 wheel dolly that you can stack a fair amount on and used it a couple of times but the urge to wheel it right down the hall was almost more than I could resist. M u s t ... f i g h t ... t h e ... u r g e!

Prada said:
I start stacking each split in our rack...
You know, I have dreams like that but then I wake up.

My woodbox is directly beneath a window and I could put down a board to protect the sill. OH wait! That would need someone on the inside! Scrap that.

Actually you might be able to handle it yourself. Maybe just roll the splits down into the wood box?
I do place an old ratty pillow that I keep hidden the rest of the time, right inside the window and let it conform to the window to protect it. The first couple of times that I had hubby do this I would try to get him to hand me some splits through the window and that annoyed him to stand there and wait for me to deal with each armful, so I got out that old pillow and 'stood back' while he tossed them in onto our big plastic. By the time he would take his wheelbarrow back and walk back down to our window I would have the splits off the plastic and he could pull it out to shake it etc. lol

Most of my wood is stacked on racks on the covered back porch. Last year I either carried it in or used a two wheel dolly. The dolly sucked because I would always overload it and wood would fall off on the way in.
Over the summer I built a wood cart out of a shopping cart and it works great.
2zom0sj.jpg

Just my opinion but man it seems like the wife is way to tight. I say just do what you need to do without recking the place and when she bitches tell her this is the way ur doing it, if she don't like do it herself. I mean seriously you are doing all the work for her benefit! Dont let her walk all over you. Now im not sayin be rude or mean or anything just need to get ur balls out and be firm. Besides women like men with backbones!

BTW i like the shopping cart wood cart!

Woodford said:
Most of my wood is stacked on racks on the covered back porch. Last year I either carried it in or used a two wheel dolly. The dolly sucked because I would always overload it and wood would fall off on the way in.
Over the summer I built a wood cart out of a shopping cart and it works great.

Very cool firewood cart you created! It would be even better if you replaced those wheels with some oversized pneumatic tires so it could be all terrain when the ground is mushy or snow covered.. Even a reg. shopping cart would make a decent wood carrier.. Most anything with wheels works.. I used many baby carriages for firewood hauling and beat them to death lol...

Ray

LLigetfa said:
OK, lots of good ideas but I failed to set ground rules that SWMBO gave me that I must live by.

Boots that trudged through the snow cannot walk across her floors.
Wheels that drove through snow cannot roll across her floors.
The yuppy VC wood box stays.
No other wood box to ever grace the hearth room.
No snow, rain, mud, or particle of wood to fall on the floor.
No motorized equipment purchases.
No wood to be stored on any covered porches or verandas.

Oh, and lastly... The wood box is at the far end of the house and I have to navigate hallways and furniture without touching anything.

Doesn't change much from my original posted reply then . . .

I do have the luxury of having a back door and access to a woodsupply on the covered porch which is and will be nice to help remove the snow/ice/some of the mess outside instead of inside.

However, what I've been doing lately is going out to my outside "junk" pile and bringing in the wood without stopping off at the back porch stack. The canvas sling does a pretty decent job of catching most of the mess although my wife did buy a long runner rug with a tight, short weave to help catch anything that might escape from the sling. I also take my boots (well sandals for now until the snow flies) off and on outside . . . which is easy to do since the sandals and boots (a pair of my old zippered leather boots left unzipped) go on and off quite easily.

So far this is working out pretty well in terms of minimizing the mess . . . although I do have to clean off the porch more frequently. However . . . and this is a big one . . . burning with wood is messy. There's no escaping this fact short of packing your wood into sterilized plastic blister packs before stacking them in a woodpile but after totally debarking and removing any errant pieces of dirt or sawdust.

What you can do is let your wife know that you're saving a ton of money, providing some great heat for the home . . . and then agree to sweep or vacuum up the mess after you're done bringing in the wood . . . which may earn you some Brownie points which you can later redeem as you're both snuggled up next to the fire with a glass or two of wine. :)

Based on the OP's "new rules" I would have to say there isn't much else I would suggest except to say that so far I've been reasonably pleased with the way I've been bringing in the wood.

I do have the luxury of having a back door and access to a woodsupply on the covered porch which is and will be nice to help remove the snow/ice/some of the mess outside instead of inside.

However, what I've been doing lately is going out to my outside "junk" pile and bringing in the wood without stopping off at the back porch stack. The canvas sling does a pretty decent job of catching most of the mess although my wife did buy a long runner rug with a tight, short weave to help catch anything that might escape from the sling. I also take my boots (well sandals for now until the snow flies) off and on outside . . . which is easy to do since the sandals and boots (a pair of my old zippered leather boots left unzipped) go on and off quite easily.

So far this is working out pretty well in terms of minimizing the mess . . . although I do have to clean off the porch more frequently. However . . . and this is a big one . . . burning with wood is messy. There's no escaping this fact short of packing your wood into sterilized plastic blister packs before stacking them in a woodpile but after totally debarking and removing any errant pieces of dirt or sawdust.

What you can do is let your wife know that you're saving a ton of money, providing some great heat for the home . . . and then agree to sweep or vacuum up the mess after you're done bringing in the wood . . . which may earn you some Brownie points which you can later redeem as you're both snuggled up next to the fire with a glass or two of wine. :)

LLigetfa said:
Gooserider - Already have a gas furnace. The objective is to minimize gas consumption. Rebooting is not really too bad. I don't lace them up tight so can kick them off without putting down the sling full of wood. Those booties do sound interesting but with my size 12's they would be like snowshoes in the house.

Bubbavh - Motorized power is not permitted. SWMBO declared that the tractor not be operated in winter to increase longevity. Would sure love to use it all winter to plow snow as well as haul. I have one of those poly carts too. It collects dust all winter. Upgrading from wife 1.0 to wife 2.0 is never that clean and always has cost implications.

Bugboy - I've had a FEL on my Christmas wish list all my life but Santa has yet to deliver one. See also no motorized rule above.

zzr7ky - my stove takes 20 inch splits and 5 gal buckets aren't deep enough nor big enough to work well. I use 5 gal buckets for my kin'lin.

FireWalker - I loose tie my boots and can slip out of them without using hands. Hands required for rebooting though. I go out behind the woodshed so no toilet seat involved.

matt701 - I really really REALLY tried to get a back door in the hearth room. That would have made too much sense. I would have rolled out a carpet runner to walk on and rolled it up when done. Wrigley has it pegged.

Rick - hard plastic wheels on my soft pine floors would never meet SWMBO approval. I was thinking of getting a foldable dolly and rigging it up to hold the sling, thus containing the dirt and making navigating the maze easier.
0600522_450_CC_v1_m56577569830829719.jpg

sly22guy - no attached garage. In fact no garage at all. You tell her.
Thats what I do the trailer thang is the best i have found!!!!!!!!!!

I just use an old rubbermaid tote to carry it from the shed to the wood box. The shed is real close to the house.

I tried that dolly thing last year to see how it would work. It had the blow up tires.
I evolved to even putting several slings of wood on it, roping them up so they wouldn't fall off, and dropping them off at hearthside.
Of course you have potential scuffing issues on the wood floor there.
That whole stupid method isn't nearly as good as the cart I got (see page 1).
Even my wife thinks its great. Well, pretty good anyway. You can sweep under those big wheels very easily. And I believe she's getting used to the look. She's even said so without prompting.
With the slings, there was always more debris.
She'd prefer putting it into a tiny rack next to the hearth, but that causes even more debris 'cause you can't sweep under it, and more stupid wood handling.
I can't swear, but I don't think those wheels will mar your floor, even with a big load of wood.

Even though it can't roll through water per your specs, you still must have a staging area where you have a pile of wood that.
That cart's a back saver even for that.

Anyone ever try carrying two slings at the same time, one in each hand? Carrying just one is so awkward and lopsided but at least you can hold it away from the body for the most part. Carrying two pails of water sure is easier than one.

I think I'm going to buy a second sling and try it out. Might even go with one of those yuppie leather ones to go with my yuppie VC cast iron wood box. Maybe I just won't fill them as full. Not sure how navigating the maze would work out though. Would have to walk sideways like a crab in places.

If that doesn't work out well, it's back to the wheelbarrow and maybe one of those folding dollies with the no scuff wheels.

K.I.S.S. --done it this way for years:

1. Bring wood to door(s)--your choice of cart, carrier, child.
2. Right arm places wood in left arm until full or wimped out.
3. Dump armload into stove wood rack, making sure boots are wiped.
4. Repeat as needed until rack is full.
5. Fetch ( important term) dustpan and brush, then sweep wood debris into dustpan. Empty.
6. Repeat all above as necessary.

This will satisfy SWMBO to no end.

WARNING!! UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES REFER TO SWMBO AS "THE WIFE". It is trailer talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.