How do you heat now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I run it a few hours in the morning.

Couple small pieces of wood in the stove at night is all I need. Been getting in the upper 30s during the day, but still in the 20s at night.

50" panasonic plasma heats the house nicely now it's warmer

Runs on the themostat. Clicks on an off and I don't pay any attention to it until it is out of pellets. Have two bags on the porch and hope that is it for the season. Really don't want to got to the shed for any more. Will see what mother nature says. At least I'm not in NoDak... wow, have they been hammered with late snow!

AHHHH pix

Attachments

• allstoves3.JPG
    allstoves3.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 131
  • Finished project2.JPG
    Finished project2.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 123
Hello Snowy

Very Nice Pics! Luv those dualing stoves, one in each corner! Way to go!

No need for any fossil fuels for heat in your house!

Run it manually here and there whenever I feel it's chilly inside. Over the years with this stove have gotten used to 75 ish so below that I start to feel a chill. Next couple nights forecasted in the mid 30's so it will be running for sure.

The Quad 1000 is a great stove, bought new in 1993 and no problems really.
The only caviat is the cost of pellets. At $250+ a ton it cost us about $750 a season to heat the place.

The Whits get fed a diet of nut shells and the entire season cost us about $150

The Quad will not feed shells, at least not and work reliably, where the Whits work great on them.
The issue is the coil spring auger on the Quad cant move the crushed shells properly.

The Quad is set to come on at 65 and we use it if we leave for an overnighter or ???
The Whits need daily fiddling and filling, and the little one is only good for about 10 hours on a fill of shells.

Using the large Whit during cold Weather down to the UPPER 20's F and then add the little guy.
During mild times (now) the little stove handles the job easily.

As many have stated, pellets stoves are a space heater, and the idea of having more than one stove in a home, especially a larger one is a great plan.

The other plus is, if one dies, you have a backup to get you through while you fix the broken one. This plan is especially good on a cold dreary night with snow going sideways.

Our quad will heat the entire house, even in cold times, but the cost is +++++ and the far reaches of thec place tend to chill off quickly.

If I were building a brand new house, I would install a heat pump system to provide AC in the summer and Auxilliary heat if need be, but would locate multiple pellet stoves in the home as the main heat source.

Just cant beat the warmth of a fire you can get up close and personal with.
The other plus is the ambience of a fire flikering away in the stove.

Unless the home is very tiny, I am a firm believer in multiple stoves.

I am also a lover of fancy wall/hearth treatments.
A pellet stove with a lovely raised hearth and either rock/brick or a faux treatment is just Sweet.

The corner wall area behind our large Whit is all done with paint.
Cost was minimal, and the look is nice.

I have seen some very lovely pix posted by many members here of their creations, just sweeeeeet.

Here is a piccy of the hearth before I set the stove. I went through the barrel of old horse shoes down in the stable and picked out enough of similar size to fabricate the brackets for the mantle.
The old shoes, after heating them well to burn off the nasty stuff are perfect for that country western look.
Free too, well at least they are giving us more for the $$$$ we spent to get them on the horse.

The cost for the entire package, including the used Whitfield was under $1000 by some measure.
I think it was $800 and some change. Thats all the wood, paint, tile for the hearth, stove vent, the stove etc. (The tile was a left over small lot from habitat for humanity store)

The payback curve is real good on this deal. Add in that the nut shells cost about 1-1/2 cents a pound the entire deal just makes great sense $$$ wise
Snowy

Attachments

• Mantel with horsie brackets.JPG
    Mantel with horsie brackets.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 92
  • Adv 2 1.JPG
    Adv 2 1.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 110
  • mockup1.JPG
    mockup1.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 128
Reactions: will711
I turn it to 67 in the morning and let it get to temp. She'll stay off the rest of the day, and the house holds enough heat that I don't need to run the stove at night.

Snowy Rivers, what are these nut shells you speak of?

Hazelnuts.(Filberts)
We live in the Northern end of the Willamette valley in Oregon and this area grows a butt load of these.
The shells are a waste product and come early fall we stock up with a good winters supply of them.

Been burning the shells for many many years now in various pellet stoves.
The only stove I have found that will not run them is the Quadrafire, due to the type of auger (coarse spring) used

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.