How do you read the Mfg Date Code on Dutchwest

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marsfarmer

Sep 7, 2009
RI
Thanks to all you opinionated woodburners. I got enough good feedback to decide on the Catylitic Dutchwest 2460. I went and checked it out and have 2 questions, one of which might be a deal-breaker. First, how do you read that stamped "Mfg Date Code" on the plate on the back? It says 2778. Is that like July 7th, 2008?
And, second, I found a crack in back of the firebox, on what's called the "grate back" in the owners' manual schematic. It's a plate that looks replaceable, but for how much, and does it indicate misuse?

yeah, the 2460 is still available new. I don't know julian, but I think he should get a regular calendar.

marsfarmer said:
Thanks to all you opinionated woodburners. I got enough good feedback to decide on the Catylitic Dutchwest 2460. I went and checked it out and have 2 questions, one of which might be a deal-breaker. First, how do you read that stamped "Mfg Date Code" on the plate on the back? It says 2778. Is that like July 7th, 2008?
And, second, I found a crack in back of the firebox, on what's called the "grate back" in the owners' manual schematic. It's a plate that looks replaceable, but for how much, and does it indicate misuse?

Hey Marsfarmer,

Sorry I can't help you with decifering the date. I've heard different ideas on this subject. In fact I've heard they reused some numbers on their stoves. So there may not even be a way to tell the date. But I'm sure someone knows the truth on the date codes, Just not sure who that person is. It would seem to me that with 4 numbers, there are only 9,999 different combinations so they have to repeat them at some point.

Not that it makes much of a difference, the 2460's were exactly the same in 1998 as they were in 2008. As long as the insides aren't warped, it should be OK. The cracked fire back plate is not necessary a deal breaker. How does the rest of the stove look? Is it in showroom condition? Or, is the outside discolored, with a greyish tone? If so, this is a sign of overfirering. Those side plates are made so that they will absorb the brunt of the fire and keep the body of the stove from warping or cracking. Is it a sign of abuse? It may or may not be. If the rest of the stove is good it is easily replaceable. Keep in touch with any questions.

Chris

marsfarmer said:
yeah, the 2460 is still available new. I don't know julian, but I think he should get a regular calendar.

King Julian from Madagascar? :lol:

My Resolute Acclaim Model 41 date code is 3050. I think that means 305th day of 1990. The problem with these single digit year codes..what if they make a model more than a decade?

As long as the insides aren’t warped, it should be OK. The cracked fire back plate is not necessary a deal breaker. How does the rest of the stove look? Is it in showroom condition? Or, is the outside discolored, with a greyish tone? If so, this is a sign of overfirering. Those side plates are made so that they will absorb the brunt of the fire and keep the body of the stove from warping or cracking.
So the plates are "wear parts"? That's good to know. I found no sign of that grey residue or warpage, but I kept focusing on that little crack, so I might have missed other things.
With that year code thing, I'm glad to hear that I'm not missing out on any space age technology by buying an older stove, but I do wish there was an easier way to decipher the code! Don't get it.
King Julian from Madagascar? LOL
I don't think it's a Madagascar thing, given that they don't face our particular climactic challenges down there. Unless DW makes a wood-fired air conditioner. That would be nice...

the wear platE has been cracked on mine for ten years at least and has never caused a problem. They are intended to keep the majority of the direct flame off the outer cast iron. Iwould try to tall the seller down due to the part being broken but I would not replace it if its not falling apart. Do you have pictures?

Only thing I can tell you is left to right, top to bottom.

What the code stands for is only something an MIT mathemetician or the NSA can decipher.

dougand3 said:
My Resolute Acclaim Model 41 date code is 3050. I think that means 305th day of 1990. The problem with these single digit year codes..what if they make a model more than a decade?

Yes! You've hit it there. Like the DW 2460 made from 1993 to the present! It has been the same stove for 18 years.

marsfarmer said:
I don't think it's a Madagascar thing, given that they don't face our particular climactic challenges down there. Unless DW makes a wood-fired air conditioner. That would be nice...

I heard coaley (the fisher guy) talking about using his stove as an air conditioner in the warm season. When days are hot but nights are cool, he burns some paper in his stove with the door open and the windows are open. The draft created sucks cool air into the house and gets rid of all the warm air up the flue!

Not that this will be much help but......

The original sales receipt for my CDW 2460 shows I purchased it in Sept./1997. The manufacture.date on the plate shows as 2396. What 2396 indicates I have no idea.

VCBurner said:
marsfarmer said:

I heard coaley (the fisher guy) talking about using his stove as an air conditioner in the warm season. When days are hot but nights are cool, he burns some paper in his stove with the door open and the windows are open. The draft created sucks cool air into the house and gets rid of all the warm air up the flue!
one of the strangest ideas i've ever heard. Like using a giant fan to power a wind turbine, which is something a drunk guy told me was his million dollar idea.

Hardrockmaple said:
Not that this will be much help but......

The original sales receipt for my CDW 2460 shows I purchased it in Sept./1997. The manufacture.date on the plate shows as 2396. What 2396 indicates I have no idea.

That makes sense. Your 2460 was built on the 239th day of 1996 (Aug 26. 1996). You bought ~ 1 year later.

marsfarmer said:
VCBurner said:
marsfarmer said:

one of the strangest ideas i've ever heard. Like using a giant fan to power a wind turbine, which is something a drunk guy told me was his million dollar idea.

Did you buy the Dutchwest?

Workin' on it. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow, but I want to check out the catylist; forgot to because the guy was talking a lot. As long as that is in decent shape, I'll take it home. Any tips on what to look for? Also, I just want to say that I'm going to miss my old Jotul. Are we all in agreement that my house will be toastier with the Dutchwest?

marsfarmer said:
Workin' on it. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow, but I want to check out the catylist; forgot to because the guy was talking a lot. As long as that is in decent shape, I'll take it home. Any tips on what to look for? Also, I just want to say that I'm going to miss my old Jotul. Are we all in agreement that my house will be toastier with the Dutchwest?

Look for cracks/chunks missing, serious discoloration and/or plugging. My 2460 has been a reliable heater for many years now, I replaced an older Jotul with it and have absolutely no regrets. Little bit of a learning curve with the cat but once you get it figured out using the stove becomes second nature.

Hope you like it. :zip:

marsfarmer said:

Combustors are inexpensive for these stoves.. Woodstock sells the 2"x6" cat for $125.00 ... You can't tell if a cat is good by looking at it unless it is cracked etc.. I have worn out cats that looked fine..

Ray

marsfarmer said:

I'd look for cracking honeycombs and clogging. But like Ray said, this should not be a deal breaker. If you get to see the cat and it looks totally disintegrated offer him $50 less saying that you will put it toward the cost of a new cat. Unless you feel like you can talk him down some more, like $100. This can be put toward the cost of a new cat! If you are thinking about giving him the asking price this would not be an unreasonable request. Does it have a blower? Oh, and yes I thing you'll be happy with owning one of these.

PS. : All you need to do is bring a 7/16" socket to remove the 4 bolts that hold the top on the stove. But be ware, you will need an interim gasket to replace the one around your catalyst once you remove the cat. I actually inserted mine back in pieces the first time I removed my cat for inspection. These are $5 from a dealer. Or you can do like I did and stuff a small regular rope gasket around it! It works just fine. Good luck!

Chris

OK, I'll jump in on this date code game. My Dutchwest's code is 0608. Is this june of 2008 or 60th day of 1998?

The code on my Encore is 0944. It was purchased on September 29, 1994.

Encore 0944 = 94th day of 1994 = April 4, 1994. I dunno about DW models spanning more than a decade. Maybe VC changed to MMYY in 2000 or so?

Status
Not open for further replies.