How do you stop EPA stoves from drafting when not in use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CHIMENEA said:
I'm going through the same problem with my insert. Was replacing insulation in the crawlspace today so I've been keeping an eye on the thermostat lately to see how the temp is holding. Sitting here ~8ft in front of the hearth, and notice a draft in the air. I can't figure where it could be coming from, thought I was sealing up the last of the 'big' holes under house this afternoon.

Get up, walk toward the insert, kneel down on the hearth, and bam. The hearth is ice cold, cold air is down drafting out of the bottom blower intake louvers. Bummer, cold air is coming out at varying speeds up to the same force as the blower on low speed.

Weather channel has it at 32*, NNW17mph. Maybe it won't be as noticeable with lighter winds.
If the air is coming through the blower vents then the draft isn't coming through your stove, it is coming around your stove, unless the air intakes from your firebox are in those blower vents. But if you have a draft coming around your stove your chimney might not be totally sealed.

krex1010 said:
CHIMENEA said:
I'm going through the same problem with my insert. Was replacing insulation in the crawlspace today so I've been keeping an eye on the thermostat lately to see how the temp is holding. Sitting here ~8ft in front of the hearth, and notice a draft in the air. I can't figure where it could be coming from, thought I was sealing up the last of the 'big' holes under house this afternoon.

Get up, walk toward the insert, kneel down on the hearth, and bam. The hearth is ice cold, cold air is down drafting out of the bottom blower intake louvers. Bummer, cold air is coming out at varying speeds up to the same force as the blower on low speed.

Weather channel has it at 32*, NNW17mph. Maybe it won't be as noticeable with lighter winds.
If the air is coming through the blower vents then the draft isn't coming through your stove, it is coming around your stove, unless the air intakes from your firebox are in those blower vents. But if you have a draft coming around your stove your chimney might not be totally sealed.

On the Osburn, the air intake is behind the bottom blower intake grill in the center. The time I smoked the living room with a downdraft, the air took the same path out the sides of the bottom grill as I thought I could contain smoke from a snuffed firestart. The liner cap is sealed to the top terracotta and have a block off plate sealed and insulated at the throat.

It sounds like a problem we have to deal with that I wasnt expecting for part time burning. Have to look at the intake to see If I can make a sheetmetal piece to slow the air more when not in use.

Chimenea
So you get a noticeable down draft even with the air intakes closed all the way? I got an easy fix for that, never let your fire go out

Status
Not open for further replies.