How do you store your Super Cedars by the hearth?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LLigetfa

Minister of Fire
Nov 9, 2008
NW Ontario
Where I live there is not a lot of choices and in my travels I've been keeping an eye out for a cauldron to keep by the hearth to store a few Super Cedars.

Caldron_Triquetra.jpg

My criteria is that it has to match the existing decor, be fire proof, have a large opening, and an easy to use lid. Since I have black cast iron tools and wood storage, the above caldron (depending on size) would suit me fine.

Show us what you use if it meets some of my criteria.

Rather than show you, we just have one super cedar which is broken into quarters. It sits on the hearth in a ziploc sandwich bag ready for use if needed.

I've got a small Rubbermaid (or some imitation knock off) tote that I place the quarters in. I keep it tucked behind the recliner in the stove room. In fact, I just quartered up 5 more Super Cedars, and they broke apart easily by hand.

LOL Thanks for not posting pics...

Last year I had a zip-lock bag that I used to break one at a time apart in. I got tired of having to go to my 100ct bulk box that I have under the stairs to get another one for my baggie so this year I have dozen or so in a clear plastic tub that salad came in sitting by the hearth. Neither however fit my criteria.

The problem with ordering something on-line is that the wife is very particular and has to see/touch/smell it before deciding. Everything I've come across thus far has been vetoed.

My idea for the cauldron is to modify the inside of the lid to use as a fulcrum to break the Super Cedar and contain the crumbs, dumping the remaining quarters and crumbs into the cauldron.

I only got the sample, and used one early in the season to check out how they work.
The other is sitting on the window ledge under a box of air gun nails.
I don't know when that one will be used, since I have a sister of a sister-in-law who keeps saving newspaper for us.

PapaDave said:
The other is sitting on the window ledge under a box of air gun nails.
Lemme see if I can get that approved by the wife... ummm... NO GO! The search continues...

Lol, in the box they came in. And I AM the wife!

We have a basket that holds newspaper, matches and firestarters, used to be the rutland type, now it's the super cedars. I think one of the last pictures in our install album shows it, sitting next to our indoor wood rack..

Old 50cal ammo box ;-)

Keeps the rest of 100 box dry, and I like the whiff of cedar when I open it.

Bought them at least 2 years ago, and still have at least 50 or so left; between using them in the smoke dragon, giving a hand-full to neighbors to "try 'em out" a.k.a. get hooked, a couple to the guys at work when they go camping, etc.

Old Bennington Pottery jug.

Ja, I though of using pottery. My wife has a collection of different antique pottery and judging by how she gasps when I take one in hand, that's not an option. Of course I could try to buy a cheaper one but then she's still likely to veto it. She does have one that I would have liked to use but I got the gasp and the evil eye when I asked. Also, I wouldn't be able to use the inside of the lid to break the Super Cedars like I plan to with a cast iron lid.

Backwoods Savage said:
Rather than show you, we just have one super cedar which is broken into quarters. It sits on the hearth in a ziploc sandwich bag ready for use if needed.

Hey Dennis, Do you split those Cedars Horizontally or Vertically? :cheese:

Regardless, he most likely spits them while sitting down.

If you want something like that, black cast iron, how about checking all the various options that LODGE cast iron cookware has to offer. You might find something in either a bean pot, or a Dutch oven. You can get them at various hardware and sporting goods stores, or on-line.

In a nice wicker basket that sits well away from the hearth

Swamp Fox said:
If you want something like that, black cast iron, how about checking all the various options that LODGE cast iron cookware has to offer. You might find something in either a bean pot, or a Dutch oven. You can get them at various hardware and sporting goods stores, or on-line.
Ja, that 2qt Serving pot, while less "Witchy" than a cauldron, would probably fit the bill and might get the seal of approval.

{FAF98D69-7FF4-4296-8C12-4A863011D33A}_L2SP3.jpg

I've been keeping my eye out for something like a bean pot as well. On-line is not an option as the wife has to touch/feel/smell it first.

Status
Not open for further replies.