How does air get in lines

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

grider

Mar 26, 2023
Florida
How does air get into natural gas lines while away on vacation for extended periods? My stove is fed from a utility company that provides natural gas to the neighborhood. If my stove remains unused for months, it becomes necessary to purge the air from the system. Are there tiny air bubbles that propagate through the lines and collect at the highest point over time? That doesn't seem to make sense because natural gas is lighter than air. So what causes this?

I think I found the answer. Compressed Natural Gas is heavier than Compressed Air. So I guess it is indeed tiny air bubble collecting at the highest point over time. At least I cant think of another explanation . . .

I've never heard of this problem. It certainly is not normal. Who is your gas supplier? Do you routinely shut off any parts of the gas piping?