How far should insert stick out?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

StoveInNH

Jan 25, 2023
NH
Hi!

First post! :)

I have a Hearthstone Clydesdale being installed in March. My fireplace opening is large enough to accommodate the entire insert being installed flush into the fireplace. However, should I have the installers push it out some (i.e. not flush) to get better heat?

If power was out and the blower wouldn't run, would I get better heat out of the insert if it stuck out of the opening 4 - 6 inches?

Thank you!

You would definitely get better heat with the stove sticking out some, also make sure the installation includes a block off plate.

As far as possible. Just measure the hearth extension depth and make sure there is at least 16" in front of the stove door.

As far as possible. Just measure the hearth extension depth and make sure there is at least 16" in front of the stove door.
Are you saying, at the installed depth, I need 16" from the front door of the stove to the front edge of the hearth?