How fast does flue temp increase from 475* to 1000*? See for yourself...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WES999

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 12, 2008
Mass north of Boston
I thought you may find this interesting, it is a video showing how fast flue temp can increase. This is a bit of an extreme case as the stove is loaded withe pallet wood and the door is not latched tightly, (there is a small gap). The readout on the right is flue temp, the readout on the left is stove top temp.

It actually would have been quicker as I closed the door tightly at around 800 °F, and the flue temp slowed down and started to decrease, then I cracked the door again and it took off again.
I did not check but I bet the outside of the double wall pipe was only warm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p9jNJhSQak

The final "k" in your url isn't part of your link...so if people click on the link, they get an error (unless they type a "k" at the end)

Pretty fast.

Fixed link, thanks.

3 minutes is quick. It doesn't surprise me. The other day I put some fresh wood on the fire. The pipe is around 300F. I asked my wife to check on it and turn down the air in a few minutes while I went out and loaded up the cart with a fresh load for the wood box. OK honey. Come back 5 minutes later, stove pipe is at 850F and she is nowhere to be found. Then I hear her upstairs on the phone. Good thing I wasn't gone for longer. She was pretty embarrassed, but it happens to us all. I still love her.

Very nice, Wes!

Yes, I am only too familiar with the skyrocketing flue temp syndrome. Last week I put a load of smallish splits (near pallet wood size) in there and waited for several minutes while it started to catch. I walked out to the mailbox and by the time I returned it had gone from about 300º external pipe temp to the thermometer falling off the pipe (over 800º F) maybe two minutes later.

The wood was some extremely dry black birch, which just seems to catch and burn like gasoline. Internal gas temps probably went from 600º to close to 1500º in that short time period. A bit terrifying, to tell the truth.

BTW, I really love your setup. Lady BK was in the room and she asked what the beeping was all about. When I explained it to her, she got more excited about it that I've ever seen her get over a hearth related topic. Think maybe I just got permission to buy the gear. :cheese:

Yep, good wood and hot coals means you can get heat quickly.

This sort of thing is why I like a probe thermometer. If this wasn't double wall, it would have been interesting to see how quickly a surface thermometer kept up and how close to its warning zone it would have been by this time.

pen

pen said:
Yep, good wood and hot coals means you can get heat quickly.

This sort of thing is why I like a probe thermometer. If this wasn't double wall, it would have been interesting to see how quickly a surface thermometer kept up and how close to its warning zone it would have been by this time.

pen

Pen, my old Vermont Castings thermometer is extremely close to my IR gun once it has had time to creep up there and stabilize, but it is so slow getting there the damn thing falling off the pipe is a better indicator of a dangerous situation than the actual reading from the needle. I've watched a rapid rise with both the IR and the pipe thermo and the IR was close to 700º while the needle still hadn't even hit 400º. Not reassuring at all. The only reason I leave it on there is that it is very accurate when given a chance to stabilize over time, so I can leave the IR tucked away when I peak at the stove to see if the flue temps are low enough that I need to reload.

VCBurner said:
Hey Wes is that your set up? I was wondering where I could get onr of those alarms.

I built these myself, I don't think there is a commercially produced stove temp monitor/alarm.

I submitted my monitor to the Design News "Gadget freak" column http://www.designnews.com/hottopic/Gadget_Freak/index.php

It should be featured in an upcoming issue, they sent a photographer over to take pics of it yesterday. A parts list and construction details will be posted with the feature. I will post when it come out.

If you want more info you can PM me.

Same thing happens in todays house fires. The fire doubles in size every minute because of all of the petrochemicals in the home furnishings today. Be safe.
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.