How good are Fisher wood stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

crf450ish

Sep 15, 2015
The time has come to swap out our upstairs pellet stove for a wood stove! Why, you ask? Simply because the cost of pellets is too much, that, coupled with the poor electric grid where we live (very rural), my wife and I are sick of having to crawl out of bed at 2am to fire the generator up when the power gors out in sub zero temps. And we have enough timber on our property to last until our 3 kids are great grandparents themselves..... so the decision is a simple one.

We want a good old fashioned simple wood stove that will keep the fire burning all night nice and hot. Im eyeballing those older Fisher grandma/grandpa bear stoves. Are they decent? Any suggestions? Ive also been looking at the older Blaze King wood stoves. I know one of the main defects on those Blaze Kings is cracking at the corners of the door. My freind has one that i welded up the cracks around the door. It works like a dream now. Stays lit and hot all night.

They are tanks that will last forever, but not very efficient. Adding a baffle helps as would adding secondary tubes, but unless one has the welding and metal fab experience it would be less hassle to look for a good used EPA stove.

Reactions: crf450ish
They are tanks that will last forever, but not very efficient. Adding a baffle helps as would adding secondary tubes, but unless one has the welding and metal fab experience it would be less hassle to look for a good used EPA stove.
Ok such as what?

It depends on what's on the used market and how much time you have and how large an area is being heated. For example Lopis, Avalons and Quadrafires are common in our area. Out in your area you might also run across a decent newer Blaze King cat stove.

Also popular are the Englander 30NCs from Home Depot. They sell new for under $900 and meet current WA state emissions standards.
https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/publications/documents/080209.pdf

Reactions: crf450ish