How in the world does this happen......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
those are good pics!

Reason that places like Barrier islands should be off limits to new construction and housing.

Photo 11 and 13 are just amazing that those are still there. I wonder if there was actually any difference in the way they where built or it was just a freak occurrence.

Oh and one light roll over truck with slight water damage that will show up for sale in the midwest.

We learn from every disaster. Hurricane Andrew resulted in a lot of code changes to prevent stupid things like the roof ripping off. It is possible that those particular homes were built later to a more stringent code.

What I haven't been able to understand is the fires. Are these from wires shorting out or what????

Chris

What I haven't been able to understand is the fires. Are these from wires shorting out or what????

Chris

The last person that evacs is supposed to kick the candle over.

Redox said:

Chris

Broken gas lines. Tipped over furnaces. Electrical shorts. Take your pick. Although, I don't know why the gas company wouldn't just shut down the supply line before the storm hits. Electric company too. Must be a reason???

I would think the gas lines are left on to keep the system pressurized to keep salt water out of the lines as that would seem a difficult fix.

I kind of agree with the last one out kicks the candle over since they may not have wind/flood insurance but can have basic insurance you kind of get the picture.

They used the special nails with glue on them. They also use the top dollar shingles. What also caught my eye is pic 13. Doesn't
look like any windows broke either. That always amazes me when I see pictures like that. Looks like a bomb went off but that
house wasn't even scratched. Those are the pics that leave you almost speechless.

Probably spent a couple thousand bucks to make sure the house was built actually at or slightly above code. Hurricane straps, corner reinforcing, strong shingles, etc. Several years ago, there used to be a picture circulating of a hill side that involved in a forest fire. Basically all you see are chimney's and burnt out foundations, but right in the middle is a perfect house with hardly a scorch mark on it. They interviewed the guy and he was like, "Yeah, we knew this was a fire danger area so we used non-combustible shingles and siding for the house - but everyone else seemed to like the look of wood shingles for their house"

Kind of like during Hurricane Katrina - a friend of mine had family in the area, I ask him if they were OK - He said "the house is gone but they're fine...they started looking around and saying "there is a big storm on the way and we are in a bowl that is 10 feet below sea level - this can't end well - let's leave"

As they always say - sometimes common sense ain't so common.

I understand people like to live on the water, hell, so do I, but when that kind of damage can occur, it's shocking. I hope people aren't stupid enough to rebuild there.

Status
Not open for further replies.