How likely are you to try a new brand of softwood pellet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ditto here. That's one of the advantages of owning a Harman! Saving money on pellets because you don't need to be too picky.

Is this a fact or an opinion?

Is this a fact or an opinion?
I can only speak for myself that it is a fact. But it appears others with harmans feel the same way. The only pellets that has created any small issue in my Harman were a super premium softwood pellet that I paid extra for just to see what ask the hype was with expensive pellets. Last time I do that.....

Built to a standard. Not a price.
;)

I guess I have the Harman of Englanders? I kind of meant it the other way, is it true that other brands can't burn anything?

I guess I have the Harman of Englanders? I kind of meant it the other way, is it true that other brands can't burn anything?

My St. Croix is picky - or at least it is very finicky where the damper is set for different pellets. If pellets vary in length or are long, that can cause issues with that stove (extra smoke, incomplete burn etc). Fortunately, the FSU's that I was getting from HD were uniform and the Hastings liked them reasonably well so I didn't have to mess with the damper. Did have issues when I first started using that stove - tried NEWPs and Currans - I had to constantly fiddle with the damper.

Never fiddle with the Harman whether burning NEWPS, Currans, Maine's Best, Heatr'z, TSC pine bedding pellets or Vermont Woods.

Don't know if other people/stoves have that issue though.

Last edited:
Normally I have my pellets ordered by now or maybe even already delivered but not this year. I`m in no hurry to buy. I`ll be looking for the best deal I can get .
I like Wood Pellets .com delivery system but their prices scare me this year.

The Pine Tree pellets survey sounds interesting.

My St. Croix is picky - or at least it is very finicky where the damper is set for different pellets. If pellets vary in length or are long, that can cause issues with that stove (extra smoke, incomplete burn etc). Fortunately, the FSU's that I was getting from HD were uniform and the Hastings liked them reasonably well so I didn't have to mess with the damper. Did have issues when I first started using that stove - tried NEWPs and Currans - I had to constantly fiddle with the damper.

Never fiddle with the Harman whether burning NEWPS, Currans, Maine's Best, Heatr'z, TSC pine bedding pellets or Vermont Woods.

Don't know if other people/stoves have that issue though.

My Hastings' damper is still set how the installers left it 5+ years ago. It's never been an issue.

Reactions: bogieb
For $220 a ton, Id drive to Mass or NH....

I want to thank EVERYONE who has done the quick survey. Whats more impressive is the fact you who did the survey 93.7% were open to trying a new brand of pellets. Wether it's Pinetree Pellet Fuels softwood pellets or another company thats amazing that folks are open to trying a new product on the market. Some folks only wanted to try a few bags at first others were willing to try a ton or more. Its good to know that in these days a little guy can come in and have a chance against the bigger mills in Maine and elsewhere.

We had 95 responses and I couldn't be more pleased!! Thank you all again for taking the survey, good to know there are a few bacon lovers out there too..LMAO

*And just wanted to throw this in, this is not a commitment to purchase or for us to sell just wanted to feel out our price point and see where the market is.

David

Reactions: bogieb and mepellet
Here in Canada, in general, I can buy three brands of wood pellets: Cozys (Kent Stores); Trebios (Wal-Mart) or Eastern Embers (just about every place else). On EEs are made in Nova Scotia, the other two being imported. The three are pretty close in most respects, with Trebios getting a slight edge in my book. There are two small mills (local) that I know of, but quality is really iffy at one (30% of each bag are 2-3" pellets), and the other uses MDF sawdust to make pellets; cheap, but I'm not convinced it is safe to burn that stuff in a pellet stove.

All the best, David. I wish you were local to me. I'd at least give you the chance to get my business!

Home Depot is now selling Granules LG Satisfaction (100% softwood) and Canadian Tire have started carrying Okanagan (Softwood - Douglas Fir)...starting to see some options. I usually burn Cozy's, may try something different this year.

I'm in CT, on the Longmeadow, MA border, but I filled out the survey and said yes...

David- good luck to you. I have been a proponent of softwood blends (LaCretes, Okanagans, Spruce Pointe and others) for years, but I also like Hamers hot ones and a bunch more of hardwood blends too. It seems that better pellets just make any stove burn better, burn hotter, stay cleaner and less troublesome. Any pellet stove will burn poorer pellets, but at a compromise in burn quality. I've cleaned stoves of most makes for over 10 years and have sold many brands of stoves (not all of them)- there are big differences in ease of cleaning and the propensity of how hard they are to clean. Better quality pellets just perform better is what I have found. If you can deliver top quality softwood pellets for the price you mentioned in your survey, goodness gracious you will be busy. Good luck with your quest. Take care.

Reactions: PinetreePellets
I bought 3 ton of blazer this year based on stellar reviews and have never tried them. The price was good at 299 for prebuy in mass and from what people are telling me it is more than a safe bet pellet. I am in my second year coming up burning pellets and already in the first year have tried basically every pellet in my immediate area, would definately try anything worth trying.

Reactions: PinetreePellets
To bad you don't do business on Long Island. I'd buy my whole 6 tons every year if they were decent.

I bought 3 ton of blazer this year based on stellar reviews and have never tried them. The price was good at 299 for prebuy in mass and from what people are telling me it is more than a safe bet pellet. I am in my second year coming up burning pellets and already in the first year have tried basically every pellet in my immediate area, would definately try anything worth trying.
I think your search for great pellets will be over now that you have the Blazers...good buy..

Ditto here. That's one of the advantages of owning a Harman! Saving money on pellets because you don't need to be too picky.
x3. Was forced to burn anything I could find last year and my XXV didn't fuss one bit.

I attest burning fewer pellets despite colder and longer winters of recent to the excellent heat output of the 100% softie LaCrete's, though they did produce more ash than I thought they should for the price, but it was super light and easy to clean from the stove and venting. Our room temps probably averaged 5 - 7 degrees warmer burning quality softies vs blended pellets. I've also figured out that keeping your stove borderline OCD clean (thanks to this fine forum), certainly maximizes the heat output. That, together with not having to mess with clinkers, and rarely having to scrape the burn pot given their complete combustion, it was definitely worth it to burn 100% softie pellets, IMO..

LaCrete's are my "go to" pellet. Nothing has beat them. That said, I do try a lot of different softwoods and it will be interesting to see if these Pinetree's are any good.

Status
Not open for further replies.