How long between chimney sweeps?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I had mine professionally cleaned for the first time ever last year. After 28 years of "ambiance and romance" fires, the sweep found very little residue.

A cord should last me 15 years, so I guess I'll clean it again in another 30 years.

I look in there every year or two and every three to five years I pass a brush through just because, but all I ever get is a little tiny bit of dust because I burn dry wood and don't let it smolder. I think with a good install and good burning habits it would never actually be required but the consequences are severe enough that it makes sense to be on some sort of inspection schedule.

If you have damp, smoldering wood and/or an issue with the install, three times/year might not be enough and you could burn your house down even with regular cleanings.

A cord should last me 15 years, so I guess I'll clean it again in another 30 years.

1 cord/15 years? I wouldn't be happy with that small amount of romance (not to mention ambience). :confused:

I spend $350 / yr on natural gas for all heating (house and water) needs.

I build itty bitty fires when wanted, but I have to check if it's a "no burn" day first. They are never needed.

After reading thru this year old thread I had previously answered once annually
for a sweep frequency. That was after our first half season. Since buying a
brush n' rod setup I found it quick and easy to do rundown any time the snow is
melted. Peace of mind. It's a 16ft straight shot on a nice gentle 30 degree gable
roof ranch house height. The winter of 16-17 I went up at least three times and
kept the shine on that baby.