How long does it take you to split a cord?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I try not to split any firewood by hand as much as possible. I do the hydraulic splitter thing, take my time and have a few beers. I usually get about 3 cord of blocks ready, and draw the splitter right up beside, piling on the fenceline as I go. I only swing the 8#er as required, no more, no less. A Honda engine is a beautiful thing.

Now that I'm a few years ahead I just took my time this winter and went out about every other day or so and split about 5-10 rounds by hand. It was nice to get out and work off some of that winter fat and cure cabin fever. Also found wood splits even easier when frozen. I still have a few gnarly rounds that I left for the hydraulic splitter.

I split about 70% by Fiskars, an hour or two at a time. The other 30% (knots, bends, etc) goes through the hydraulic splitter. I can make a good pile (half-cord+) in about 90 mins or one gas tank full. The knotted and bent logs take a bit more time.

A little muddy today and some really big rounds to deal with made splitting slower than usual. Silver maple 1.35 cord. We hit 60 degrees here today. Took two of us about 2.5 hours to split/stack. Nice to be outside stocking up for the next winter.

I think I spend more time moving the rounds around, stacking the splits, and other wood handling than I do actually splitting. i guess i could easily split a cord in an hour or two by hand if I had a stack of rounds and simply tossed the splits aside, but if I take time to stack neatly it takes a lot longer. so for me, the time to split, whether by hand or with a hydraulic splitter, is not the only variable to consider. One nice thing about splitting by hand is that all i need to do to get started is take the maul out of the shed, and all I need to do at the end is put the maul back. If I had to uncover, move, and start up the splitter it would take longer to get started, then I'd have to recover the splitter, maybe move it somewhere, etc. to finish up. The few minutes to start up and put away the splitter might not matter much if I planned to spend a few hours, but i normally spend a half hour here, 15 minutes there, so it is important to me to be able to quickly set up and put away my tools.

Wood Duck said:
I think I spend more time moving the rounds around, stacking the splits, and other wood handling than I do actually splitting. i guess i could easily split a cord in an hour or two by hand if I had a stack of rounds and simply tossed the splits aside, but if I take time to stack neatly it takes a lot longer. so for me, the time to split, whether by hand or with a hydraulic splitter, is not the only variable to consider. One nice thing about splitting by hand is that all i need to do to get started is take the maul out of the shed, and all I need to do at the end is put the maul back. If I had to uncover, move, and start up the splitter it would take longer to get started, then I'd have to recover the splitter, maybe move it somewhere, etc. to finish up. The few minutes to start up and put away the splitter might not matter much if I planned to spend a few hours, but i normally spend a half hour here, 15 minutes there, so it is important to me to be able to quickly set up and put away my tools.

I agree. I also don't think I would like the constant noise of the splitter either. Splitting by hand is time spent outside, alone, and quiet too.

I don't really know how long . . . I pretty much buck up a good portion (or all) of the wood and then split it . . . I never have bothered to try to figure out the SPH (split per hour) factor . . . after splitting I stack the wood and see how much I ended up with . . . plus I figure it's not really a race . . . some weekends I'll work a good portion of the day and then other times I'll simply putter for an hour or so in the evening.

firefighterjake said:
I don't really know how long . . . I pretty much buck up a good portion (or all) of the wood and then split it . . . I never have bothered to try to figure out the SPH (split per hour) factor . . . after splitting I stack the wood and see how much I ended up with . . . plus I figure it's not really a race . . . some weekends I'll work a good portion of the day and then other times I'll simply putter for an hour or so in the evening.

Agreed, it's not a race, especially when I've got most of my 2010-2011 wood stacked up already... but I have two small kids (4 and almost 2), and my "leisure" time is very rare and precious. Yes, handling firewood is deducted from my leisure time. So I need to plan carefully how much time I need to get anything done, and always compare against how else I could use that little bit of time.

fyrwoodguy said:
the fastest time so far with my riggin'.....11 minutes

Wow got any video of that beast flying?

gosh, i do not.....'cause when i timed it,i had no camera. i'll try to video it again sometime,but when i timed it the first time i had to pick over about 250-300 cords of tree length wood(6-8 months) to get 2+ cords(1 load) of purfect stuff to time.every piece on the log deck= 24" in diameter 21' ft long and someone loading the deck with wood so as not to run out during time trial. so i beleive the video is not going to be available any time soon. the normal time to do 1-2 cord load is 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. so the 22 min load is few and far between.

fyrwoodguy said:
gosh, i do not.....'cause when i timed it,i had no camera. i'll try to video it again sometime,but when i timed it the first time i had to pick over about 250-300 cords of tree length wood(6-8 months) to get 2+ cords(1 load) of purfect stuff to time.every piece on the log deck= 24" in diameter 21' ft long and someone loading the deck with wood so as not to run out during time trial. so i beleive the video is not going to be available any time soon. the normal time to do 1-2 cord load is 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. so the 22 min load is few and far between.

I would just like see it run it sure doesnt need to be a record time by no meens....

okey dokey,here's one of my son (age 11 at the time) learning the controls & way's of the beast
th_APRIL212007005.jpg

and here's me at the helm
th_APRIL212007009.jpg

i am doing 2ft wood,almost all wood is sawed 16"

fyrwoodguy said:
okey dokey,here's one of my son (age 11 at the time) learning the controls & way's of the beast
th_APRIL212007005.jpg

and here's me at the helm
th_APRIL212007009.jpg

i am doing 2ft wood,almost all wood is sawed 16"

just when you think you have it all.........Awesome!

holy crap fyrwoodguy. what do you do with all the saw dust? you could sell it to pook, he burns it :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.