how many are ready to give there stove a rest until next burning season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i'll never shut the stove down -if it's cold in the house i'll burn - if it's warm i wont

today seems like a good splitting day in new england

Almost to shoulder season 1 fire in AM one in pM to have coals for small overnight burn. but probably a month and a half of that left.

Still have three winters worth ready to go of black walnut. Just found some ash on the property for the fourth year out need to plan ahead.

bobbin and others +1 for "taking the chill off" with morning and evening fires. This partial shut-down started last weekend and will continue until wood supply is depleted. I have the stove so might just as well use it if needed. Am doing my best to say "NO" to propane. Even hung out my laundry this morning in 22 °F temps. With good sun and slight winds all will be dry by about 4:00. Ain't life grand! John_M

Last night was the first night the stove went out since last fall. Let the furnace run on NG. It was 45 today and started a fire this morning and let it blow heat until 2 this afternoon. Will probably start a fire again tonight.

Done with the 24/7 till November. Still making a nighttime fire to warm up the house overnight. Will probably still see a few more days of daytime burning around here. Getting to burn all the non-stackables and neaten up the yard.

Stove is starting back up right now. When the house gets down to 68 something catches fire around here. I don't plan to be any colder in here in March than I am in January.

Looks like we are back in business. We are returning to normal temps for the next 4 days or so. Fire is going now and will likely be woken up morning and evenings.

I don't know if I was ready for a rest, but my wood supply was. Used the last load of splits last night. Staring at the last morning bed of coals as I type this. Sniff.

A friend picked up some minnows I had outside and they were froze over. Don't want to join them so I will be burning a while longer.I have enough wood in the shed to burn 24/7 until midseptember if needed lol. I like most here stay way ahead on the wood supply.

The next four days will be in the mid to upper 50's. I am not complaining.

I am looking forward to a nice, long spring. According to the old farmer's almanac we are suppose to have a cool and relatively dry summer. Sounds good to me after the incredibly wet summer we had last year. Completely ruined the vegetables.

Was thinking about putting a wrap on it recently as our weather has been so unseasonably warm. Daffodils blooming, trees budding, mowed the lawn two times. Not burning during the daytime and hard to keep the soapstone working efficiently. I even bought a few Bio Bricks to get some quicker heat in the stove. But now they are talking about snow and some cooler weather coming in tomorrow. May have to use some of the oak afterall.

Put a new roof on the house yesterday so it was the first time we let the fire die for a long time, as to not bother the roofers. Started her up again last night and she's still going now, but with the temps now in the upper 50s Im thinking just some evening and weekend flames.

[quote author="bcnu" date="1268132320"] mowed the lawn two times.

>:-( mines still covered with snow

ohio woodburner said:
>:-( mines still covered with snow

"mines still covered with snow" sound dangerous. :coolsmirk:

BB, lol
u have way too much time on your hands - and probably not enough snow. I have a friend in MN who says he has two feet of snow. Would his dog have four feet of snow. :roll:

The Summit is out, and staying that way till next fall.
I so intend to clean & inspect this spring this year.
I will also finally out the 6" PVC end cap over in place of the cap for the summer.
Had a swarm of bees & flys last fall when it was time to clean her up.
Maybe finally get those baffle gaskets made for everyone, along with a few tools I have ideas for specifically to PE stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.