How many cords on average do you get a year, and how many do you burn through per season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wait till I can see my breath before starting stove and then its usually 24/7 from mid Oct to end of Dec. After end of Dec I burn heavier wood and start fuel oil burner. Its nice to have some backup in case you want to travel. Jan/Fed is worse months. March is back to lighter woods and just woodstove.

I have 2400 finished with an unfinished basement. Last year I burnt less than ideal wood and used 3 cords, give or take. My family doesn't mind putting on sweats and stuff in the house during the winter and we kinda self-regulate our temps (go into the living room to warm up, elsewhere to cool off). But still...it was usually cool in the house. Maybe 65 with the fireplace going full bore and down into the high 50's when we were sleeping or away.

I plan on burning longer and/or keeping the house warmer this year but with better wood, so I expect I'll use 3 cords or thereabouts again.

Right now, I have about 6 or 7 cords in the racks and plan to cut most of this winter, when I can find free weekends. My timber is *way* overgrown, in some areas it seems like you can't swing a stick without hitting a 70 ft tall tree. Need to get some light down in there to help the next crop of trees along.

About 6 here. I have 5 split and stacked and another 5 i gotta get stacked

I might also try to burn some of the misc. odds and ends that are laying around to clean things up. Maybe some old pallets too, also to clean up.

I had 12 processed last year, burned about 5.5 cord. I intended to replace what I burned, but didn't have time. Still, I process around 10 cord a year or so and burn half. Since I have 2 years worth of wood now, I want to get another year ahead. That way I'm not worrying so much about it. Here about a month ago, we bought 3 cord and processed another 4 cord.

1600 SF, Only burn wood in shoulder seasons in stove. Then switch to coal for winter. Burn about 1-1.5 cords of wood. 1-2 tons of coal. I take as much as I can get for wood! Never turn any down. I have 4-5 cords in racks now. Just gave some away to Boy Scouts as they supplement with wood burner as well.

1950 sq ft. That's s good question. If I had to guess, it would be 1 cord, all shorts, uglies, branches included. I have 1 1/2 cord dry in the shed with about 2 drying. I have limited yard room for wood storage. I also use pellet baskets in the shoulder seasons.

1900 sq feet. Burned 2.5 cord last year. We have 5 cord stacked only due to lack of yard space.

Status
Not open for further replies.